Incoming? Ben Foster

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S40BLADE

Pete & Bas Fanatic
Reaction score
Bit in paper. Alan NicksEm getting his bit in early...

Would be experienced cover next season for a first choice. Article seems to suggest we are looking for him as a No 1 next season. He'll be 37 then, hopefully this is just bluster.

Would be experienced cover next season for a first choice. Article seems to suggest we are looking for him as a No 1 next season. He'll be 37 then, hopefully this is just bluster.

Couldn’t agree more

Isn’t he from Manchester? Maybe he wants to get closer to home to see his career out.

Could have legs it could be bollocks, but that’s silly season for you.

Did cross my mind when watching Watford a couple of weeks back. If we want to prioritise money elsewhere he wouldn't be a bad move. Randolph would be my 2nd target if Henderson is too much but even he might be too pricey. Depends on the budget I suppose but IV always rated Foster.

Assuming we stay up and assuming Hendo wants first team football then we can afford him if we stay up. Big question is whether Hendo is willing to give up on his Manure dream.

We cant loan Hendo season after season can we ? I'd like to see a permanent keeper.and hope its Hendo but if not we need to find a quality replacement.

I have always rated Foster and at 37 he'd be an upgrade on Moore next season. However, a younger option would be required as first choice, whether that be Henderson or an other.

Assuming we stay up and assuming Hendo wants first team football then we can afford him if we stay up. Big question is whether Hendo is willing to give up on his Manure dream.

We cant loan Hendo season after season can we ? I'd like to see a permanent keeper.and hope its Hendo but if not we need to find a quality replacement.
It's quite realistic to loan Henderson again next season, no way is he going to dislodge De-Gea and he wont tolerate being benched.
Cant see Man Utd selling him unless a ridiculous offer comes in so he will want to go on loan and although it will cost I think we would pay it.
Verrips and young Dewhurst are very promising so cant see us putting in a big offer for him.

It's quite realistic to loan Henderson again next season, no way is he going to dislodge De-Gea and he wont tolerate being benched.
Cant see Man Utd selling him unless a ridiculous offer comes in so he will want to go on loan and although it will cost I think we would pay it.
Verrips and young Dewhurst are very promising so cant see us putting in a big offer for him.

Dewhurst is miles away and Verrips is as yet unproven.

Whether Henderson returns again next season (either another loan or perm) remains to be seen but CW is quite rightly targeting a GK as a top priority. Moore needs to leave both for his own career and as Utd need better than him as cover.

There remains a big risk this season that Henderson is unavailable for more than an odd game. It is no coincidence that Utd shipped three goals in the only game he missed. Whilst I've never been Moore's biggest fan, I don't want to be unfairly negative on him. However, the more I see the goals he let in, the more I am convinced he is no better than a L1 keeper. His reactions and actions to the second and particularly the third goals were just bizarre

Would Butland be a shit suggestion? He needs to get out of Stoke fast and will be available cheap-ish... it seems it is a confidence issue with him big time, but with the feel good factor around the Lane and a full pre-season with the rest of the squad and motivation masters CWAK, could we get him back up to scratch? And if we get Foster in as well, it might not be such a huge gamble?

Would Butland be a shit suggestion? He needs to get out of Stoke fast and will be available cheap-ish... it seems it is a confidence issue with him big time, but with the feel good factor around the Lane and a full pre-season with the rest of the squad and motivation masters CWAK, could we get him back up to scratch? And if we get Foster in as well, it might not be such a huge gamble?

I fear he's suffered from the Joe Hart effect to be honest. I'd be more than happy with Foster on a year long deal if we can't sort anything with Hendo as for me he's arguably one of the best 'keepers in the league.

Can you quantify "cheapish" as Stoke's valuation at the start of the season was £25m+. Obviously nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that, but I suspect he may not be available for the 'Black Friday' price you seem to elude to.

Personally, like NorfolkBlade, I fear he's a busted flush in the Joe Hart mould.

Can you quantify "cheapish" as Stoke's valuation at the start of the season was £25m+. Obviously nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that, but I suspect he may not be available for the 'Black Friday' price you seem to elude to.

Personally, like NorfolkBlade, I fear he's a busted flush in the Joe Hart mould.
Wouldn't risk taking a punt on him he wouldn't be cheap Foster is a good option but Hendo will be no 1 target .
Accepted Dewhurst has a long way to travel yet but is england u18 goalie,Verrips is different he needs 1st team football quickly and expect him to go out on loan if his path is blocked at the lane.

hmmm let's say they go down to League one or even just escape... I cannot imagine Stoke will be able to hold out for £25m after the season he has had, i'm also not so sure many prem teams would go for him, plus there will be financial pressure at Stoke too... crackers if they do get that sort of money for him, but i cannot see it myself.

Good goalie but I think we would be a little more ambitious and have longer term thinking than to sign a 36 year old keeper. I suspect this is another made up newspaper story.

Watford go down, we pick up Foster and Henderson both permanent, Moore leaves Verrips stays on as 3rd choice.

Id assume Foster lives around the midlands so expect he would be more than keen to head back up the M1 for his final year and would be a very shrewd addition with regards to developing Henderson

Watford go down, we pick up Foster and Henderson both permanent, Moore leaves Verrips stays on as 3rd choice.

Id assume Foster lives around the midlands so expect he would be more than keen to head back up the M1 for his final year and would be a very shrewd addition with regards to developing Henderson

You make it sound so simple MB, although I do agree with what you say :) I certainly think Foster would make an excellent back-up next season should Utd survive. I think there's a bigger question about Henderson staying - due to his availability and/or price.

Moore needs to leave and I suspect Verrips may need to go out on loan to get games.

You make it sound so simple MB, although I do agree with what you say :) I certainly think Foster would make an excellent back-up next season should Utd survive. I think there's a bigger question about Henderson staying - due to his availability and/or price.

Moore needs to leave and I suspect Verrips may need to go out on loan to get games.

Haha yeah did seem confident. There was the article about Man Utd touting him permanently around the time he was having a tough time. The massive contract they gave De Gea too was a slap in the face and conformation too imo.

I don’t see us going into next season with Moore and Verrips and tbh the only reason I suggest we will keep him over Moore is the fact we gave him a 4 year contract!.

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t sign Henderson. It’s a big comparison but when Juve signed Buffon they paid £30m which was insane, 20 years later it doesn’t seem so bad. Henderson will be huge for this club for a very long time

Moore was superb in League 1 and whilst I agree we need better at this level, he missed out on the opportunity to grow through the Champ and the Prem like others have with game time (understandably so may I add)

Sheffield United are huge fans of the former England international, who is starring for bottom table Watford despite their horrible season. Foster, 36, could be snapped up at the end of the season if the Hornets plunge out of the top flight. Read More...https://www.sportsanalog.com/2019/12/09/reports-sheffield-united-eye-swoop-for-former-english-international-keeper/

I could see us in for this but it's probably just lazy journalism or his agent trying to get a new deal. I think we'll be after Randolph too.

Henderson won't be playing for man utd next season and reading between the lines his agent thinks he can do better than us

I could see us in for this but it's probably just lazy journalism or his agent trying to get a new deal. I think we'll be after Randolph too.

Randolph also linked with going back to the Shammers today

Henderson won't be playing for man utd next season and reading between the lines his agent thinks he can do better than us

Whilst i’m not disputing that let’s for instance say the table now is how it finishes at the end of the season. In reality who would he be better at ie who would he unseat as no way he’s sitting on a bench somewhere?

Liverpool - Allison
Leicester - Schmeichel
Man City - Ederson
Chelsea - Kepa
Manure - De Gea
Wolves - Rui Patricio
Spurs - Lloris/Gazzaniga
Blades - ???
Arsenal - Leno

The only ones I see him unseating there, and even that’s debatable, is possible the Wolves and Spurs keepers.

Obviously some of the keepers above could move on themselves but doesn’t look likely.

I suppose he could go abroad but again he doesn’t seem like the sort who would want to unless it was a big club and he was guaranteed a start.

Back
Top Bottom