Basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are we going to have a new thread every time a player makes a mistake

Half of Everton’s fans polled agree with you. The other half do not.

Which suggests a lot of doubt over whether he could play that role.

I think the competition for Norwood will be Ravel, but Norwood doesn’t deserve dropping yet, like most of them he’s still coming to terms with the league. The ones that don’t learn lessons will lose their places.

When Sheffield United don't win a football match:

Image result for cry baby

This is the moment Basham receives the ball.
Skjermbilde 2019-08-25 17.20.34.png
Could he have cleared it first time, maybe. Maybe even that would have been a risk as the guy closing him down could possibly have blocked it and set up a break. So Bash sidesteps his man. We'd already been giving it away plenty and there was a need for players to show some composure. I'm sure he wanted a run forward, but his next couple of touches aren't great and his man chases after him, forcing him across the pitch:

Leicester.jpg

Why doesn't he give it back to Egan here? 1) Because Leicester's no 10 is moving towards Egan and 2) Egan is on his heels, making no obvious attempt at coming short for the ball. So Bash's plan is probably to have another touch and pass to O'Connell, who's moving into space. It would have been a superb piece of football if he'd been able to do it.

But unfortunately the chaser gets a foot on the ball.

What happens next? Is there no chance to stop them scoring?

There is, but Egan has got to drop down as soon as Basham loses it. He's too slow in doing so:

Leicester2.png

The man on the ball is not closed down. With a runner in behind like Vardy, Egan must drop deeper at full speed. The above image shows he's not even turned yet. If he'd been more alert he could have swept up that through ball, or at least got a challenge in on Vardy. Maybe him dropping deeper would have opened up other threatening options centrally (in front of Egan), but that's always preferable to a ball in behind.

So although I agree he's the main one to blame, Basham was more or less forced into his run. He was let down by team mates not giving him an easy option for a pass. Then our last line of defence didn't react to the danger. Let's give Bash a break. I hope he keeps up his trademark runs on and off the ball, they are a great feature of our play.

Nobody has said ‘get rid’ but surely no one can argue he’s the weakest link? The error today costs us 3 points simple as.

Weakest link?
Where do you get that notion, based on what exactly?
Too many forget what he brings to the team when he makes one error. Yes it cost us, but how do you measure what he’s brought to the team. Just because he might not be on the end of the cross, or playing that final ball his energy alone will win us far more points than the “one” point he cost us against Leicester. Never mind all the stuff he does with the ball.
I can’t think of ONE player at any other team in the prem you could put in for Basham and do a better job than the one he does for the team both offensively and defensively combined. You could put a better defender there for sure...you could put a better attacking player there but you would lose the balance he has of doing both. Plus don’t forget the versatility he offers tactically by being able to do a specific job when needed in midfield!

Sorry....first name on the team sheet for me in our preferred system.

I agree with a lot of that, and as I’ve said I do like him. But he is the weakest of the back 3, and arguably the whole back 5.

Cranie was often preferred last season as I’ve said a few times on this thread. In the championship.

Talk about making up facts to support an argument.

Crainie played in front of Basham twice last season at West Brom and Hull.

All Crainie's other appearances were either with Basham also in the team or missing through injury or suspension.

Basham 39 starts, 2 sub, Crainie 9 starts, 6 sub.

As far as I'm concerned your level of fabrication here renders anything else you as liable to be complete bollocks.

‘Often’ is a major overstatement. There was only two games last season where Cranie was selected to play when Basham was available. The rest of the time they either played together or Basham wasn’t available.
Just as I said.

I must read the whole thread before responding in future

This

That goal sums it up. Ball given away in centre circle. Pass into vardy is hit early and accurately, Vardy does what vardy does. It is highly unlikey that goal would have been scored last season.

We have to carry on getting better to survive in this league. today was a bit of a wake up call all around on what the standard is

Yes, Bash lost the ball (in the centre circle), but Maddison plays a slide-rule pass into space (the 'hatched area') so accurately that Vardy didn't have to break stride.

1566812120747.png

Our style is bound to see us exposed at this level, something shown very well at 1.03:51 on Match of the Day. One for CW to sort.

And for those who say Henderson was 'done' on his near post, he probably 'offered' the rest of the goal for Vardy to aim at and very few goalies - if any - would have stopped that.

Talk about making up facts to support an argument.

Crainie played in front of Basham twice last season at West Brom and Hull.

All Crainie's other appearances were either with Basham also in the team or missing through injury or suspension.

Basham 39 starts, 2 sub, Crainie 9 starts, 6 sub.

As far as I'm concerned your level of fabrication here renders anything else you as liable to be complete bollocks.
Interesting... can you show me some stats from when John Egan and Jack O’Connell were available for selection and either were left on the bench or not played in their preferred position?

Case closed.

Ffs this is going to be a hard season, especially as we'll only have 2 players left halfway through.

Interesting... can you show me some stats from when John Egan and Jack O’Connell we’re available for selection and either were left on the bench or not played in their preferred position?

Case closed.
Basham didn't get moved to midfield because Crainie was a better defender, he got moved to midfield because he is the best athlete at the club by a distance, and Wilder wanted to beef up the central area.

Anyone thinking we moved Bash to accommodate Crainie is suffering from an attack of bonky madness

Basham didn't get moved to midfield because Crainie was a better defender, he got moved to midfield because he is the best athlete at the club by a distance, and Wilder wanted to beef up the central area.

Anyone thinking we moved Bash to accommodate Crainie is suffering from an attack of bonky madness
He could’ve played Lundstram and used Basham in defence. He didn’t. He played Cranie at RCB in our most important game of the season because, you guessed it, he’s a better defender. Bash has plenty of qualities and of the 2 I obviously prefer him but as an out and out defender there’s no question who is better of those 2 surely?

He could’ve played Lundstram and used Basham in defence. He didn’t. He played Cranie at RCB in our most important game of the season because, you guessed it, he’s a better defender. Bash has plenty of qualities and of the 2 I obviously prefer him but as an out and out defender there’s no question who is better of those 2 surely?
Your talking our of your arse mate

Load of cobblers.

Load of cobblers.

Your talking our of your arse mate
Do you think I’m the only one with that viewpoint? A quick search of ‘Cranie better defender’ in the search facility of this forum will soon put that to bed.

Cranie’s been a defender all his career. Mainly at championship level. Basham was a centre mid until 4 years ago. How is that so hard to understand that Martin Cranie is naturally (and understandably) a better defender than Chris Basham?

You’re getting confused with the art of defending and the overall game.

And you can cite the Leeds game all you want, and make up whatever facts you want us to why Bash wasn’t in defence against the deadliest attack in the division and Cranie was, but there were a couple of alternatives in midfield that could’ve seen Basham stay in defence... simple as that.

The difficulty is there's no one else in the squad capable of overlapping down the right. Can't see jags doing that

The players have been running on adrenalin since day one, and we had a behind closed doors match against Man U ( we lost 3-1 )mid week in Manchester.
They still can't know what our best team is going to be yet, and neither will we till Christmas at the earliest
So lets try not to get on any body's back because they'll all drop clangers at some time this season including Sir Chris, and he's the last person we want to upset …... :tumbleweed: DON'T PANIC

Do you think I’m the only one with that viewpoint? A quick search of ‘Cranie better defender’ in the search facility of this forum will soon put that to bed.

Cranie’s been a defender all his career. Mainly at championship level. Basham was a centre mid until 4 years ago. How is that so hard to understand that Martin Cranie is naturally (and understandably) a better defender than Chris Basham?

You’re getting confused with the art of defending and the overall game.

And you can cite the Leeds game all you want, and make up whatever facts you want us to why Bash wasn’t in defence against the deadliest attack in the division and Cranie was, but there were a couple of alternatives in midfield that could’ve seen Basham stay in defence... simple as that.

Your argument was that Cranie was ‘often’ preferred to Basham. The reality is that he was only preferred on two occasions and at the end of the season Cranie was released and Basham is still here and still playing.

Your argument was that Cranie was ‘often’ preferred to Basham. The reality is that he was only preferred on two occasions and at the end of the season Cranie was released and Basham is still here and still playing.
Cranie was released to make room for Jags. Understandable.

You can say often is an overstatement if you like, but he WAS preferred there at times. And in our biggest game of the season no less.

Cranie was released to make room for Jags. Understandable.

You can say often is an overstatement if you like, but he WAS preferred there at times. And in our biggest game of the season no less.

If you mean the Leeds game then he was only preferred because Basham was preferred in Centre Mid due to his high energy levels. You can deny that was the case all you like but it’s the truth

If you mean the Leeds game then he was only preferred because Basham was preferred in Centre Mid due to his high energy levels. You can deny that was the case all you like but it’s the truth
What we can’t deny is the fact Martin Cranie played RCB away at Leeds. Now run along pal, it’s boring.

What we can’t deny is the fact Martin Cranie played RCB away at Leeds. Now run along pal, it’s boring.

“I have no come back as I’ve just realised that I was wrong so instead I’ll call you boring”. Typical
Akinbiyi, never change mate 😂

“I have no come back as I’ve just realised that I was wrong so instead I’ll call you boring”. Typical
Akinbiyi, never change mate 😂
Martin Cranie played RCB at Leeds... Bash was deployed elsewhere. God almighty, how dense are you?

Back
Top Bottom