At our lowest point who was the worst player you wanted us to sign out of desperation?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
No insult to the players themselves who were decent at that level. But when I look at players we are now linked with, compared with who I was desperately wanting us to sign a few years ago it shows how far we've come. Grant Holt at the end of his career when he was seriously overweight, I thought could do a decent job for us. I really wanted us to sign Chris O' Grady permanently and was disappointed when it didn't happen, Alan Sheehan at Bradford I wanted us to sign, and there was the endless debate about signing Sam Morsy!

Our lowest point was May 1981 but it was so long ago and so depressing that I have no idea who I wanted us to sign.

That's a good shout.

Was it about that time that Andy Morris at Chesterfield always seemed to have our pants down too?

My memories of that time are lost in a sea of Tetleys.
I think he was late 80s, but yes even when we got promoted under Bassett they managed to do the double over us.

The Adkins ‘era’ is the lowest point I’ve witnessed.

I hate myself for this but I wanted us to sign Paddy Madden 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Yes, I was trying to remember who else, definitely Madden. I think he would have done a good job for us.

I remember post Ched I wanted us to sign that big tank from Wycombe who I couldn’t spell his name if I wanted to Afenkewakie or something, TBH he might not have even played for them at that point

I remember post Ched I wanted us to sign that big tank from Wycombe who I couldn’t spell his name if I wanted to Afenkewakie or something, TBH he might not have even played for them at that point

Akinfenwa? Incredibly, he’s still playing and if Wycombe win the L1 Play Off, he might be a Champ player next season.

We played at Port Vale in 2015 and were given the runaround by Ikpeazu, another big unit and I wanted us to sign him.

Not at our lowest point certainly - but I was absolutely gutted when we didn’t sign Devante Cole - who is currently jobless after 0 goals in 9 games for Doncaster.

... a part of me still thinks CWAK could have turned him into a Golden Boot winner!
I think you might be right too.

Unless they're George Weah's cousin no one makes a league appearance without having a serious level of ability, so it's a very fine margin between those that make it all the way and those that don't.

If the player has the right attitude and aptitude then the coaching/ management can make all the difference.

Alas for Devante he'll never know. His ship has long since sailed.

Sam Morsy has a fat thread on here, he’s surely a lot of peoples answer. Dick Burn I wasn’t all too fussed about.

Who was that blonde haired striker we got from Chesterfield? Used to score for fun and I was genuinely excited when we actually signed him. He was rubbish .

Back
Top Bottom