Article in today's Independent - Alan Woodward.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The picture makes you think how good players of that generation must have been to play on the mud baths that pitches used to be rather than the semi-synthetic billiard table style pitches we are accustomed to these days.

Strength in't it..today's players are like whippet's*...70's more like a Shire-Horse!!!

*most players...one or two obvious exceptions ;)

When you look back on YouTube at old games our players were not as good as you remember - except Woody. His pace, tackling, directness, vision of passing and unbelievable delivery into the box was a massive game winner on so many occasions. He was pigeon holed as a hard shot player and that was an asset, but his all round play puts him at no1 in our clubs history imho. An amazing partnership with Currie who is the best one to judge his ability (and he played in a great Leeds team and for England).

For me, a much better all rounder than TC, the man even played as keeper a couple of times, scoring direct from a corner, not just once or twice, pace, able to cross, move with the ball, shoot, pass, take on players, head the ball, tackle, defend and attack with equal aplomb, woody had everything.
I wonder how much in today's market a player with his abilities would be worth.
Local lad, loved the club if any player deserved the tag Blades Legend it has to be Alan Woodward, statue and stand name if I had my way.

the man even played as keeper a couple of times,

81 minutes v L**ds (h) in Nov 1967 (won 1-0), 15 minutes v Newcastle (h) (League Cup) in Sept 1969 (won 2-0), 4 minutes at Orient in Aug 1970 (lost 3-1), 25 mins at L**ds in Nov 1972 (lost 2-1), 31 mins v Man City (h) in Oct 1973 (lost 2-1). Five stints as an emergency keeper totalling 156 minutes and conceded just one goal which was an own goal by Billy Dearden in the Man City match

Just read that article, welling up a bit.
Ask to name your team of best Blades you've seen, and for me there are three nailed on no argument names on it.
Woody for one. Other two TC and Deano (Brian not Hendo)
Silent Blade can you clear summert up? Woodwards 100th goal. At home vs Brighton or Blackburn, blue and white. He was on 99. Woody scored two for a 2 - 0.
Rest of the team managed to concede three to lose 2 - 3
Rollerball
Woodward didn't head footballs. Scored one with his head vs Southampton, tripping and the cross bounced of his nut. And that's that.

Silent Blade can you clear summert up? Woodwards 100th goal. At home vs Brighton or Blackburn, blue and white. He was on 99. Woody scored two for a 2 - 0.
Rest of the team managed to concede three to lose 2 - 3

Not 100th goal, it was his 141st league goal against Bristol Rovers which broke Doc Pace's post war record of scoring the most league goals by a Blade player. He still holds the post war record of the most league goals (158). Edwards is 2nd with 143.

The corner kicks that didn't go straight into the net still caused chaos in opposition defences.

Would that someone could develop that skill these days.

Mind you, those beachball-light footballs they play with these days maybe aren't as accurately responsive as an old leather casey was to the curl of the instep as the boot hit the leather?

;)

The two goals against Everton FA Cup 3rd round, January 3rd 1970. Two brilliant crosses from Woody.

Those were the days of somebody 'making a goal'

Now we are in the day of 'assists' he'd have broken all records.

Who's Kevin De Bruyne?

I loved TC but Woody was United's biggest unsung hero, could hit a ball, dribble had bags of skill all round great player and legend RIP Woody. It was as though him and Currie had an almost telepathic partnership and understanding between them, I remember on kop we got a corner at Kop end V Soton, TC took corner new stand being built was the backdrop TC knocked it to Woody who was outside area and he hit it sweet as a nut, nearly took back of net out around 73/74 IMS.

I need help with this one:
Does anyone else remember a picture in (local?) press of Barnsley keeper Brian Arblaster's stomach showing an imprint of an old caseball having saved a full strength Woody shot?
Fairly sure it was a County Cup match.

How you doing bypass?
Played Arsenal tuesday night, may have been a cup game. Bob Wilson prided himself as being not bad facing an opponent one on one.
Woody came down to BL end, let Bob make his move then danced round him. 1 - 0
Shortly after, same again. 2 - 0.
Then there's the four he got vs Ipswich.

I need help with this one:
Does anyone else remember a picture in (local?) press of Barnsley keeper Brian Arblaster's stomach showing an imprint of an old caseball having saved a full strength Woody shot?
Fairly sure it was a County Cup match.
Bet he dined out on that for years.

Agree with just about all these comments, except I don’t remember him ever tackling well. I may be wrong, and old film may confirm that. But I was always surprised by how good he was in goal, because it didn’t fit in with his other defensive work as I saw it. And one clear memory- when he first played he was given some stick by quite a few because he was regarded as nesh. That soon stopped when they realised how good he was.

Back
Top Bottom