Arsenal 2 United 1 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hard to find positives at the moment for us but we have to believe that we can get out of the rut.Don’t post much on here because of the childish,toxic ignorant aggressive Neanderthals that know everything that the management should do. I always read your reports and enjoy them ,don’t always agree but normally not far wrong. Keep reporting,I’m sure the vast majority look forward to them. Please ignore the odd one or two angry ones,probably the ex playground bullies. UTB
Very much agree with your comments about why you dont post very often. I am just the same as you. Look forward to deadbats assessment of the game whuch is usually not very far off mine.

I got slammed by all and sundry for saying how conservative he is and that he does not affect games much at all. I stand by that. We see flashes from him but we need much more.

We are bottom of the league and he is our midfield key man supposedly. We are getting out possession-ed (not a word!) every week and not just by teams like Arsenal. So if we are not controlling or seeing enough of the ball in midfield then someone has to impose themselves - whether it is him or the others - we spend most of the game out of possession meaning our chances of getting up the pitch or creating anything is really limited.

I personally would bring Norwood back - he at least gets us up the field and will try forward passes and try and move it around more than simple 5-10 yard passes. Maybe he plays both but I do know we are not even getting the ball into the last third much at all through passing/movement. Our main tactic seems to be the punt up to Burke to chase. It's really limited and at the moment we look like a Pulis/Allardyce team and sadly making likes of Crooks/Nicol look correct - this year at least.

Definitely with you on Norwood, irritates me how under appreciated he is at the moment. He's the only player we have that can gets us on the attack at pace with his ability to switch play so quickly and never afraid to try a put a ball in the box.

Harsh on Ramsdale - other than 1 distribution error first half i didn't see any reason to mark him down at all. Everyone else pretty much bang on, and agree with your comments on Berge - we need to see him further up the pitch in Lunny's role, with Norwood back in his position.

"I am not sure the likes of Robinson and Osborn help us get up the league or get many points as nice a lads/decent fill ins as they are. Why have we signed Ampadu if we are not going to play him now O’Connell is injured."

My thoughts entirely when I saw the team to-day. We need a JOC replacement in before the deadline his loss has totally unbalanced the way we play and calls into question why we are persevering with a flat 3 when we aren't getting our wing backs and centre backs up the pitch. Not sure what Fleck does at the beginning of every season but he needs to find his form because without him and JOC the attacking threat down the left is non existent as Stevens has lost form badly without these two in the team.

CW hinting after the game squad players are challenging for places but without a revision of how we are set up there's no evidence we will get over this current malaise. Tactically we have been found out IMO. As others have said we are being paid the compliment now of teams changing their formations and overloading the flanks to stifle what was a unique style that teams found hard to deal with last season.

CW's success in 2 of his three seasons was built around 3-4-1-2 with an occasional switch to 3-5-1-1 in certain key games. Weeds away in our promotion year being one example. No-one can argue that the decision to stay with 3-5-1-1 in our first season back in the EPL worked better than expected. The problem now is one year on its not working and we currently look bereft of ideas and lack a cutting edge. Against the top six teams 3-5-1-1 may still be the way to go but we need points and a goal threat now so bringing in a 10 or giving the job to Mcg are a must against other teams in the division.

Confidence is an issue but so is conditioning. The players look flat for long periods and you do wonder whether the short close season has impacted on our preparation as our up and at em style hasn't surfaced since before lock down. Is the lack of atmosphere a factor? maybe it is but we have to adapt as other teams have as fans aren't returning anytime soon.

Confident that CW/AK will find the solutions but the players have to step up also. CW clearly not happy with the reaction to going two goals down to-day. They have shown in the past they can bounce back so expect a good reaction for the Fulham game. Our luck will turn maybe it will be with the appointment of a half decent official the last three have been woeful.

McGoldrick said today it would be suicidal to play a 10 behind two strikers in this division. Lately we've even seen the biggest sides get severely punished when they haven't found the right balance between attacking and defending. Maybe the lack of crowds play a part in this.

I think we are trying to regain the defensive solidity that we had last season. It's not easy to regain our attacking rhythm at the same time. I agree opposition teams have come to terms with our unusual wide play tactics. A lot of teams are also forcing our wingbacks deeper, meaning we look like having a back 5, not back 3. This weakens our midfield and has made it necessary to increase the defensive work load of the forwards. If we'd swap a midfielder for a number 10, we'd practically have a two-man midfield and we wouldn't get away with that.

We've also lost a world class goalkeeper, our best defender and our most dangerous striker 12 months ago. Add to that the mysterious degeneration of Norwood (seems to run like a 40 year old at the moment) and loss of form for the likes of Fleck, Stevens and McBurnie, there are a lot of reasons why we're struggling.

I think more patience is needed. Let's not panic, even if we have 0 or 3 points by mid-November.

I think Stevens is done at LWB now. He can’t seem cope with nippy wingers anymore and his forward play has largely diminished. But I do think he could rediscover his form playing at LCB. He knows the system as good as anyone and this change in position would focus his mind more.

Harsh on Ramsdale - other than 1 distribution error first half i didn't see any reason to mark him down at all. Everyone else pretty much bang on, and agree with your comments on Berge - we need to see him further up the pitch in Lunny's role, with Norwood back in his position.

He's slow off his line. Egan and Basham both were imploring him to come out twice today. He is not inspiring confidence but today the defeat cant be down to him. Still it's concerning that the ball is flying into his net with routine regularity. I think even on the second he goes down too easily without moving his feet (not saying he would have saved it) but the header first half he made so much harder than it should have been.

Many more issues than our keeper though at the moment.

This is not football-related, Deadbat, as generally I agree with your marks and was pleased, as ever, to read your report. However - and you are not the only offender on this forum by any means - the expression is "case in point", not "casing point". Just one of those that annoy me, I'm afraid.
Fair enough. Consider my literacy skills rightly scolded.

For those who are scratching their heads.
There is such a thing as a casing point, mind :)

;)

Berge plays more conservatively at CDM. Love to see Ampadu or Norwood come in here and Berge move back to the right for Lunny. I know it wasn't the plan, but we need to find a way of taking the shackles off him.

Thank you Deadbat for your view of this game. I think our major problem now is one of confidence. Most of our difficulties can be resolved by bringing new lads into the side. Ampadu for calm skills on the ball, and Bogle and Lowe to spark our attacking intent. These three alone might give Berge the opportunity to attack more. The real headache for Wilder, will be who he picks to start alongside Brewster.
With greater attacking intent and the skills of Berge and Ampadu off the leash, a quick, hungry strike partnership will produce greater confidence all round, including Wilder.

He's slow off his line. Egan and Basham both were imploring him to come out twice today. He is not inspiring confidence but today the defeat cant be down to him. Still it's concerning that the ball is flying into his net with routine regularity. I think even on the second he goes down too easily without moving his feet (not saying he would have saved it) but the header first half he made so much harder than it should have been.

Many more issues than our keeper though at the moment.

He’s to blame for Arsenal’s second goal, he should be saving that

Okay we weren't great yesterday but Didzy scored a nice goal, we've got to stop being nice look on Blades site there's a clear picture of Luiz holding Burke back. I want to know why it wasn't looked at by VAR and he wasn't sent off, we accept things too readily we've got to argue and mix it up more.

I'm baffled the Egan sending off wasn't one but Luiz was but not even looked at.

Okay we weren't great yesterday but Didzy scored a nice goal, we've got to stop being nice look on Blades site there's a clear picture of Luiz holding Burke back. I want to know why it wasn't looked at by VAR and he wasn't sent off, we accept things too readily we've got to argue and mix it up more.

I'm baffled the Egan sending off wasn't one but Luiz was but not even looked at.
Burke.jpg

How is that not a red card?

We need to re-employ our “attacking intent” which served us so well. We are looking a very boring team at present.

Great report again DB.
There seams to be a few players that need moving on when the opportunity arrives, but i guess it's called "transition" and it is happening but it takes time to get and blend in the right players.
For me we bringing in too many squad players, I think we have all recognised that!
You can see confidence is low.
When the opposition score you can see the heads drop, they know we aren't going to score.
Our backline must be fed up with the amount of defending they have to do every game.
Not sure where we go from here, I think we are in for a difficult season.
This will test CWs management skills, i just hope he is up-to it!!
Whatever anybody thinks i think the Prince will get rid of CW if he is seen to be failing, I do believe the Prince is ambitious and won't hesitate to pull the trigger if he thinks he can change things with another manager, I don't really think it will happen, but you never know, he has backed him in the transfer market and they are CWs choices!

Ramsdale 6/10 – Had little to do first half really. A few routine saves and then one good one from the shot from Aubameyang (but this was his fault for the poor kick out). He is still a little slow to come for things and slow to get down for things (the Nketiah header a casing point). No chance on either of the goals which were right in the corners and as in other games left horribly exposed.

Baldock 5/10 – They attacked down his side a lot first half and he struggled to hold Tierney up on his runs and most of the danger came down here. Stuck to his task though. Saw little to nothing of him as an attacking force. Then second half I felt his head dropped quite a bit too and stopped even trying to go forward with it. I think our two wing backs have had a really poor start to the season. They were one of our main attacking outlets last year and they have not been a threat and have struggled at times defensively too. His crossing was awful and he has even stopped trying to put it in the box now.

Stevens 4/10 – Solid opening to the game with clearances and a few good headers too. Not sure he got into any advanced positions though at all as we played with more of a 5 than a 3. Second half they attacked more down this side and I felt twice he was slow to react to things and the two goals he switches off. The first he does not see the one two quick enough and the second he gets run off and does not even put a challenge in. It might seem harsh but if he is tighter to his man twice, they maybe don’t score. Too many goals come down his side. He has been really poor for months now. Lowe needs a chance now – Fleck was dropped for similarly poor form.

Basham 6.5/10 – Decent start to the game with a few trademark clearances and blocks. Kept to his shape and defensively fine. He was solid and I felt the whole defence was until they got pulled around. He is not being seen as an offensive threat at all – was taken off for Sharp near the end. No

Robinson 6.5/10 – Steady to start the game defensively in the first half. I felt he was fine as they all were but then a few moments second half where runners got away and its in our net twice. Not sure anyone individually can be totally blamed but just got pulled apart too easily. His long throws seem erm…not as long as he struggled to get it as far as the games v Arsenal last season.

Egan 6.5/10 – Nearly got caught out early with a diagonal ball but then was better the rest of the half with some good blocks/clearances and reading of the game to run it out. I felt he kept his shape. The two goals they pulled us apart but again this was down to good play but maybe we just switched off. He was too slow to deny the shot or get across to Pepe on the goal also after Stevens was beat. He kept going gamely and can point to fact Aubameyang did not score I suppose but the two goals we got pulled apart too easy. Great shape for an hour and they went to pieces in minutes.

Lundstram 6.5/10 – Started the game in competitive fashion -few fouls again but was all action and got across the field. He never hides and does show for the ball but not sure he affected much going forward really but I like the fact he kept plugging away and I thought saw more of the ball than the rest of the midfield. He was more energetic in terms of getting up the field and the only player who got near the strikers all game.

Osborn 4/10 – Looked a bit headless chicken to me. He gives us energy but felt pressed a bit much at times and then he was committed and was out of the game if they broke the pass. Did not see much of the ball in possession at all and a bit rushed when he had it. Did work hard for the team but I felt a lot passed him by. 2nd half twice he gave it away and then put an aimless cross in and on the goal it was his sloppy play that saw them break.

Berge 6/10 – Steady beginning to the game. When he had it nice and composed. Not sure he drove with it much but was neat and tidy. He kept it as did the whole team. Unfortunate to be booked really with the tackle where he won the ball – not sure what he was meant do with his foot after – he was not wild or even that high. Not even sure if Aubameyang was that hurt – disappointed in his reaction as he clearly was fine straight after when he was trying an overhead kick! At 2-0 I wanted him to get on the ball and impose his quality but he did not. I got called for my mark last week but again I need to see more from him especially when the chips are down. He is a neat and tidy player but not sure he has influenced anything really in terms of us getting chances/stopping chances. He is way too safe. For this huge man who is strong I want him to get on the ball, force the pace, get us up the field more. People keep telling me is not that kind of player and his job is to just give it to others to create – well we need to sign two more midfielders then as the current ones are not going to create either.

Burke 7.5/10 – Excellent first half where he was in early on the Luiz incident and then had a few other good runs. His pace is searing and he got away from them a few times. Really worked hard and pressed well and a constant threat running across the line. Did not get much help or support but did well with what he had to work with. Held it up really well. Continued this in the second half and I was shocked he was taken off. Seemed a strange move to take our best player off and not sure he had run his race yet. He was not happy and you can see why.

McGoldrick 5/10 – Not in the game and continued his poor start to the season. I feel he has looked off the pace for some time and that he is not influencing things enough. The ball is not sticking and he is not linking but he is not helping Burke either. However, after never being in the game scored a great goal and gave us a bit of hope. He certainly gains a mark for getting us off the mark at least for the season.

Subs –

McBurnie 5/10 – Not sure he dd much at all after he game on. Maybe it was a coincidence they scored two after he came on but he was involved in the play when we lost it down the left and they broke. Both games last two weeks the opposition have scored after he came on. Had one shot that was save easily but still looks rather weak and powderpuff. He should be busting a gut to get a shirt but was jogging around aimlessly. Loads said he would be a key man this season but he has lost his place and now even when he comes on looks slow and weak. I don’t see this number 9 for the future that others do that will go on and be a regular at this level. Maybe I am alone but his lack of pace/physique means he does not affect games enough. He keeps joking about not being on the weights – well maybe he needs to. As he just gets shrugged aside currently. Does not look close to being a regular starter who can impact games.

Sharp – Caught offside and weak in the challenge. Not sure why he is even playing as he offers little at this level and he never changes games when he comes on. Time is up as much as I love him. When Mousset is back with the front two we had starting + Brewster, McBurnie – he will be 6th choice and I expect he may move on in January as won’t even be in the match day squad.

Manager Wilder 3/10 – The set up and shape was good for an hour but I would also say we never looked like even having a chance on goal. Then he makes a bad decision. An Awful substitution. Burke was our main threat. He had worked hard and maybe had put a lot in but as soon as he went off any threat had gone. I also think he is persisting with players like Stevens and maybe even Baldock who are not doing it. He has dropped Fleck and Norwood who were not in great form (more the former) but the two wings backs get picked every week. Ampadu was decent last week, Robinson makes the error and he gets picked? Ampadu can play wide left centre back too and has for Wales. I am not sure the likes of Robinson and Osborn help us get up the league or get many points as nice a lads/decent fill ins as they are. Why have we signed Ampadu if we are not going to play him now O’Connell is injured.

I am not sure at the moment our style and formation are giving us any chance of winning games. We are literally hoping for a 1-0 at best or 0-0. We don’t get men forward – have gone long ball and look predictable and static. We used to be imaginative and fear free but now we seem safe and almost frightened. I watched Leeds yesterday and thought that is what we were like last season. Maybe it is players losing form, maybe teams have worked us out (we all get prickly when pundits say that but they might be right looking at our results so far) but whatever it is, he keeps picking the bulk of the same side and us going out the same way and we keep losing. He has been fantastic for us of course but he is not beyond criticism. Any manager in any league, no matter what they have done before would get some stick for 7 games on the bounce (many would have their position questioned actually – CW rightly won’t – we could lose another 7 on the bounce and he rightly would not). However, he may have to swallow his pride and tweak the formation/tactics or way we play. At the moment we could come out and have the same organised, decent work ethic in the 3 games v Liverpool/City and Chelsea and again if we don’t look like scoring then it is inevitable a chance or moment of quality will break. It is the same for most teams at this level. I just think he needs to change how we are approaching games. Today we were ok but ok is not seeing us get any results. I don’t buy the ‘we were playing at Arsenal either’ as we were the same in other games (maybe not Leeds) and also to end the season. We got well beaten at Leicester and Southampton with a white flag type surrender and I am seeing other teams like West Ham, Palace and even Newcastle at least have a go at teams.

We have gone so far away from the United we were under Wilder for 3-4 years. If we carry on like this moving forward, not only will we not score many or get many points and go down, all the plaudits and fans we had will seem a distant memory. We all get so angry when Crooks and Mills say how crap/basic we are and they were so far wrong but at the moment I would have to agree with any criticism of pundits about our basic style. We look really poor to watch at the moment and even today as decent as we were for an hour we never looked like laying a glove on the opponent meaning it was inevitable a chance would come for them.

Arsenal – Different sort of team to the one we faced in the early days under Arteta at the Emirates. They look a solid, organised side. Maybe they do not have the flair of other past Arsenal sides but they have a togetherness they have not had for a while.

I must admit when Arteta took over last season I did not see the improvements others did and recall us going there and drawing in January and them not looking much different and a bit of a soft touch still. Gradually they got better and better in terms of being more organised, resolute and harder to beat and we saw that in the cup game at the Lane. They were a tad fortunate to get through but then put on two excellently coached tactical master classes to beat more talented teams in Man City/Chelsea to win the cup. He got Aubameyang to sign a longer contract and signed a few more players this summer in Willian, Gabriel, Mari (full time) and Ceballos back on loan but they still rely a great deal on Aubameyang of course. Defensively and in midfield even though the personnel has only changed slightly, he has made them much more solid. They work harder and get in good positions to deny easy chances than they used to.

Today, like v West Ham they did not really look anything special and for an hour toiled with nothing of note happening. They got lucky with the referee decision of course but then after this they did not move us about much at all. It was poor from them but then one good move and it is 1-0 and then soon after a quality sub with pace and it is 2-0. Game over you thought. They had a late scare but they deserved to win the game as despite being poor for long spells, still did more than we did as an attacking side and at least looked to score. Not sure they will finish any higher than 4th-7th really. They have improved but still lack defensive quality/experience to not give away soft goals and better teams will cause them problems. Arteta has improved them but for them to get close to Man City and Liverpool, they still need to sign even more players really.

Opponent Man of the Match – Tierney was decent down the left and got some good balls in but Saka was a threat and scored the goal. Good young player. Bellerin though may have been the one outstanding player as he was the one who penetrated us twice and made both goals. We never went with him on either occasion.

Opponent Weak link – Easy one. Luiz should have been sent off and also made a number of other errors first half but we could not make him pay. Thought Aubameyang was poor and quite selfish at times and did not like his cheating when he was barely touched by Berge. He was fine as he proved when he got up and ran around straight after. Poor stuff.

Referee/Officials/VAR – The early one on Burke he was pulled back. No doubt. Maybe he should have gone down and there is an argument our players are too honest but then he wanted to try and get the ball. Mason made his call and was too stubborn to even reconsider. VAR have to get involved in that. Whether it was a yello

‘Any manager in any league, no matter what they have done before would get some stick for 7 games on the bounce (many would have their position questioned actually – CW rightly won’t – we could lose another 7 on the bounce and he rightly would not).’
Interesting statement, if we have less than 0 points after 11 games, questions will deservedly be asked. Years ago Southampton made a brave decision in sacking Adkins for pochettino. It transformed them and brilliant forward thinking though ruthless, took them to the next level and beyond. I’m beginning to fear that wilder has hit his ceiling. As a previous poster commented, the owner is ambitious and has backed wilder. The pressure is on.

‘Any manager in any league, no matter what they have done before would get some stick for 7 games on the bounce (many would have their position questioned actually – CW rightly won’t – we could lose another 7 on the bounce and he rightly would not).’
Interesting statement, if we have less than 0 points after 11 games, questions will deservedly be asked. Years ago Southampton made a brave decision in sacking Adkins for pochettino. It transformed them and brilliant forward thinking though ruthless, took them to the next level and beyond. I’m beginning to fear that wilder has hit his ceiling. As a previous poster commented, the owner is ambitious and has backed wilder. The pressure is on.
Apologies 0 points, not less than, that would be an achievement.

Back
Top Bottom