Are we safe yet Dad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think we should just target 50 points minimum ‘cus this is United that we’re talking about. If there’s a way we’ll find it.

Agree. In my working life I was always a glass half full person but when it comes to the Blades as history has shown I'm the opposite. The Shammers hold the record for getting relegated from the Prem with the most points 42. I don't want us to set a new record and go down with 43. So if we average a point a game for our remaining fixtures we'll have a good chance of staying up.

If it provides any comfort. Of all the teams relegated since the 20 team division (95/96 onwards) the most points a team has had after 16 games is 19 - Blackpool (10/11) and Palace (97/98). In this time, no team on 20+ points after 16 games has ever been relegated.

The biggest indicator of a high points total being needed to survive would be 2 teams being cut adrift along with the teams at the top having low points totals. So 18 teams would be sharing a lesser number of points and 17th would be higher

Before a ball was kicked a lot were splitting the Premier League into two halves, 10 teams who had a chance of a top 6 finish and 10 teams whose sole ambition was to stay in the league. Most had us in the second group and rightly so. The way I see it we are winning our mini league and then some.
Hardly anyone expected us to do much more than keep the score respectable against the big six but only the present European champions have beaten us the only other higher placed team to beat us is Leicester City who look like the only other team in with a shout of winning the league. We do have the small matter of Man City to come before the halfway point of the season and two teams in the bottom 4 so we are not doing bad. Spurs and Arsenal for all their quality players are not doing a great deal and one or two teams who should usually be higher are well down. Not a lot will change in the three games to the halfway mark so the League is taking shape and I expect us to have at least 26pts after 19 games.
In the remaining 19 games can anyone honestly see us averaging less than a point per game, think about it if we do ALL of ten teams below us have to do better than a point per game some by a significant margin. It could happen but (a) I think we will do better than a point per game, and (b) not every team below us will get more points for the simple reason they have to play each other and they have to play us. Wins against Villa and Watford would go a long way to taking the fear out of our games and heaping pressure on those below.

Goal difference is a point,the current bottom 3 are far worse off in that respect, we have done well not to get a spanking thus far, and I don't think we will

West Ham were relegated with 42 points in the early 2000s. But don't worry guys, I think you 'll not only stay up but finish in the top 10, may be even in Europa League place. Btw, while not Blades fan myself I became a bit of a fan of your team, your style of play and your manager.

Win on Saturday and we are guaranteed to be 10 points clear of 18th position, meaning Villa (and Southampton if they lose) will both probably need to win 4 games more than us before the end of the season to overhaul us. On top of that, West Ham, Everton, Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley would also all have to have decent 2nd halves of the season.

It's not must win on Sat of course, but it would be a very nice early xmas pressie.

West Brom stayed up on 34 points in 2005

Without wishing to bang the same drum that I have mentioned on other threads
If you examine the last five years of the Premier League
The most obvious difference between the top six?
And the rest of the league
Whether you are talking about the middle league or the scrappers against relegation
Is goal difference
Now understandably folks have raised the various chances we have created and not converted
But I think it is our ability to defend as a whole team that will signify our chance of survival
As with commented about Norwich
They are not going to score three goals or more on a regular basis in the Premier League
Which they need to give and how much goals they ship
The same could be argued for Watford
Southampton are curious
They have been getting a couple of reasonable results but overall are deep in it due to goals conceded
Newcastle and Crystal Palace have picked up a bit
Conversely Bournemouth and Burnley or on a downward trend
Either way our positive goal difference so far tells the real story
Of course we are not safe, until we are mathematically safe
I don’t know what the odds will be given for us to be relegated, I don’t gamble
But I think that bet will be a waste of money
I think we are on course to do what Wolves did
In the first season up
Yes the points difference between us and the bottom three is pretty tight
But it is going to take a big upturn in form for a lot of sides To drag us Into the bottom three
They can’t all win all the time
For a start they have to play each other
And they have to stop shipping so many goals
And teams like Spurs and Man United of finding their form
I am used to the rollercoasters of supporting the blades since 1969
But I predict come New Year’s Day
We still won’t be mathematically safe
But we will be safe anyway

Wasn't sure if I was reading a poem or that you just have a really narrow monitor?!

One of the best things about the season so far, for me, is that every game feels absolutely vital, irrespective of who it’s against—the huge names and the theoretically ”smaller” clubs alike. However magical the Wilder era has been, I couldn’t put my hand on my heart and say it‘s felt like that, every single game, during the last three and a bit years.

And peeps Porkers who say the experience of being in the Prem is devalued because of the membership of, e.g., Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Brighton, etc., are just fucking wrong. Even in those few phases when we’ve been below par this season, every minute of every game, and every point we’ve gained, has been gripping, edge of the seat stuff.*

* (Possible exemption for last 20 mins v Toon 👍).

What do (more) points make?

On top of the fixed payout there is obviously a bonus based on your finishing position...

Premier League 2018/19 prize money
Premier League teams will earn roughly £2m more than the team below them, making the final day of the season a potential lucrative afternoon for many teams. Each position will earn as follows:
Based on official 2017/18 figures. 2018/19 to be confirmed imminently.
  1. £38.4m – Man City
  2. £36.5m – Liverpool
  3. £34.6m – Chelsea
  4. £32.6m – Tottenham
  5. £30.7m – Arsenal
  6. £28.8m – Man Utd
  7. £26.9m – Wolves
  8. £25m – Everton
  9. £23.1m – Leicester
  10. £21.1m – West Ham
  11. £19.2m – Watford
  12. £17.3m – Crystal Palace
  13. £15.4m – Newcastle
  14. £13.4m – Bournemouth
  15. £11.5m – Burnley
  16. £9.6m – Southampton
  17. £7.7m – Brighton
  18. £5.8m – Cardiff
  19. £3.8m – Fulham
  20. £1.9m – Huddersfield

It's well worth finishing in the top half of the table

Last edited:
JOC, Fleck, Norwood, Stevens and Baldock all get sent down for an incident at the Christmas party. We are on 39 points when this happens. We get relegated on 39 points. 1 goal off safety.

Goal difference is a point,the current bottom 3 are far worse off in that respect, we have done well not to get a spanking thus far, and I don't think we will
I agree but city and liverpool away will be the places if we do!

Agree. In my working life I was always a glass half full person but when it comes to the Blades as history has shown I'm the opposite. The Shammers hold the record for getting relegated from the Prem with the most points 42. I don't want us to set a new record and go down with 43. So if we average a point a game for our remaining fixtures we'll have a good chance of staying up.
West Ham were relegated with 42 points in the early 2000s. But don't worry guys, I think you 'll not only stay up but finish in the top 10, may be even in Europa League place. Btw, while not Blades fan myself I became a bit of a fan of your team, your style of play and your manager.
Wendy went down with 43 points from 38 games in 1989-90 and Palace went down with 49 points from 42 games in 1992-93

I know I know, of course we are not but given we are on 22 points after just 16 games I thought I would check the average number of points needed to avoid relegation "since the league was cut to 20 teams in 1995/96, the average points required to avoid the drop has been much lower than 40. Over the past 23 seasons, the 18th-placed team, the highest to go down, have averaged 35.6 points.16 Apr 2019 " In the last 5 years only once have you needed more than 35 points (Newcastle with 37 went down in 2015/16). So we "probably" only need another 14-16 points from the remaining 22 games to be safe, so less than 0.73 points per game. or about 5 more wins. I've been watching us since 1971 so I have every right to be cautious/pessimistic but I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.......I think we are safe 😲 UTB

Forget the average... this is Sheffield United we are talking about. Take the highest points total in PL history for a team relegated, and then throw another 3 points on top for good measure. If one club in footballing history is capable of falling foul of unimaginable bad look, it's the mighty Blades.

(NB - this won't happen. I'm just playing along with the them of the OP)

If we are top half by the end of January we will be safe.

If we are top half by the end of the season Wilder deserves manager of the year award regardless of what Klopp achieves.
If it's that then the city center had better get ready for another almighty blades p1ss up....(esp if trotters get get sent down to tabletop subuteo league)

Can we still mathematically catch Sniverpool?
But seriously if we take points from those below us, like vs villa etc and especially the bottom 3 we have a much higher chance of not only survival but why not look above mid table or even Europe, small steps first, let's get safety first then see .
UTB.
The answer to this is a resounding yes. Yes we can catch Liverpool and yes we can win this league.
People will react to this comment with a laugh-smilie (again), but I don't care to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom