Apart from us, who is the best team we've seen at the Lane so far?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ilovesufc

Reaction score
Had the pleasure of a pint with some very pissed Wednesdayites last night, who, clearly due to alcohol induced lack of inhibition, all agreed (unprompted by me), that Wilder is some kind of miracle worker, Leon Clarke appears to be a great striker and we are by far the best side they've seen at the Sty this season. My pint tasted good, particularly as one of them bought it ;-)
Anyway, they then asked, who do you think is the best team you've seen come to the Lane so far? TBH, I'm not quite sure...is it just me who's been very underwhelmed with most of what we've seen so far this season in terms of the opposition? So I went for Brentford, pre fire sale. I also thought Reading looked decent for 10 minutes. Wolves hard to tell as they were down to 10 men so early but personally I wasn't that impressed...
What do you think?

Brentford player some lovely stuff, Wolves looked good even with 10 men.

Those aside we have smothered the life of most other teams who have visited us.

Brentford for the last half hour, Reading for the last ten minutes.

Apart from that we have dominated every one including Norwich when we lost but we were easily the best side but fell foul of their anti-football set up.

underwhelmed by them all, due to the fact that WE made them all look very very average - even Norwich.

I can't even pick the best - impressed by Norwich's organisation, but they came to do a job on us and it worked - just like Forest and QPR did away.

Just hope the rest still under-estimate us until about Feb/Mar time.

UTB

I agree Fulwood, I was umming and ahhing for the exact same reason, think they thought I was purposefully taking the piss, but (and I still can't believe it's real life), we are actually so much better than pretty much any other side we've seen so far...shhhhhhh don't say it out loud though!!!!

underwhelmed by them all, due to the fact that WE made them all look very very average - even Norwich.

I can't even pick the best - impressed by Norwich's organisation, but they came to do a job on us and it worked - just like Forest and QPR did away.

Just hope the rest still under-estimate us until about Feb/Mar time.

UTB

Agree with that. Norwich were one of the few teams who didn't underestimate us, set up accordingly and came away with a result. Can't argue with that and no sour grapes from me.

Brentford created (and missed) a lot of opportunities, but like OP said have sold some important players since. Still managing to miss some easy chances though. The one at Cardiff yesterday was FAF.

Thought Brentford were pleasing to mine eye but we were nowhere near our best first few games and could still have beat them by 3 goals

I was quite impressed with reading in patches and hull played really well for a spell too but no team has stood out
Perhaps that's because they all set out the same way like identikit teams who are afraid to get out physicalled by a long ball barage so sacrifice their own game to compensate
They tweak it a bit to match the teams they play but if they weren't wearing different kits you wouldn't be able to tell them apart

Norwich got lucky in that we had no fit strikers to put away the many chances we created

Wolves were good, could have been 1-1 pretty easily.

Wolves were good for the first 5 minutes of each half and the last 5 minutes of the game when we sat back.
The other 75 minutes we controlled and were surprisingly comfortable. Could tell they were a good passing team though.

Their penalty was soft and if they scored they’d have been lucky to be level.

Most impressive team by a country mile were Brentford. They played a similiar style to us but were better at it.
I remember thinking if this is the standard in the CC then it’s goimg to be really tough.
Fortunately for us Brentford were really poor up front, scared to shoot, trying to walk the ball into the net.

Wolves. Narrow margins turn big in football. They wasted a good chance from our defensive cock up and should've been a goal up early on, instead they ended up down to ten men and that was game over. They still looked a threat even a man down.

Wolves followed by Norwich, with an honourable mention for Brentford.
Wolves played the best football, Norwich were the most 'professional' while Brentford knocked it around nicely but possibly benefited from it being our first game back.

I have not seen any team to be scared of at BDTBL. Brentford, as said, nice football, Norwich, as said, clever spoiling tactics. But I have not seen anyone to really make me think we are out of our depth.

Wolves away could be a tough, tight game, but I expect us to put Cardiff to the sword when they roll up to BDTBL.

I’d go for Brentford, but then again weren’t the same side at the start of the season as we are now. I think it took us a couple of games to build our confidence.

Brentford were fantastic going forwards but missed a number of good chances and were hopeless defensively.

Wolves were decent until Clarke undid them after 15 minutes.

No one else has impressed.

As for away games
Boro looked unplayable for 20 minutes after they scored, but then we dominated possession in the 2nd half. Didn't see the Cardiff game

Brentford were excellent against us, wolves are a very good side, fortunately for us they missed the penalty at 1 nil
Hull in the first half played very well then 2 nd half we took them apart.

Back
Top Bottom