Anyone else think we might do the double drop?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi, Stegosaurus here

What would yiu call the room where they gey changed if not a locker room?
A changing room. They don’t have lockers. They play football not water polo or golf.....but perhaps they.........

Not a hope- First half against Newcastle was very good. Yes Spurs beat us easily- but lets be fair- we gifted them 3 goals- there were bits in the match where we looked good-

Not saying we romp the league- but if we manage to keep Chris and he manages to hold it together- (thought he looked very drained in the interview), this team will be fine.

For me there are reasons for capitulation this year- 2nd year/ no crowds (helps the teams with naturally gifted more technical players) / losing JOC but the biggest of the lot was losing Hendo- his loss cannot be underestimated.

Parachute payments amount to about £90m paid over three years.

In the first year, the payment is 55 per cent of the amount that each Premier League club receives as part of its equal share of broadcast revenue. Based on the most recent figures, that percentage is roughly £40m. The percentage is reduced to 45% in the second year (roughly £35m) and 20% in the third year (roughly £15m).

Teams that have been relegated from the Premier League in their first season after promotion only receive two years of parachute payments.

If a relegated team earns promotion back to the Premier League within that three-year period, they do not continue to receive parachute payments.

Just to add to that. If a team is relegated and is entitled to para payments, they do not receive any para payments for the year they win promotion. If Blades get relegated this season and come back up at the first attempt they do not receive the year 1 (45m) para payment. It is nearly an incentive for teams not to come straight back up and it is definitely an incentive for the FA to see the relegated teams make an instant return as they would then never have to pay any para payments. As such, para payments are only paid in arrears. So if Blades go down, and IF they fail to come straight back up then the 1st para payment to the Blades would be in June 2022. This is probably why the loan facility was recently taken out. If Blades go down next May then they will not receive any para payments for over 12 months. With reduced income in the Championship which is further reduced with Covid and empty stadia it makes sense to have a cash flow facility.

Just to add to that. If a team is relegated and is entitled to para payments, they do not receive any para payments for the year they win promotion. If Blades get relegated this season and come back up at the first attempt they do not receive the year 1 (45m) para payment. It is nearly an incentive for teams not to come straight back up and it is definitely an incentive for the FA to see the relegated teams make an instant return as they would then never have to pay any para payments. As such, para payments are only paid in arrears. So if Blades go down, and IF they fail to come straight back up then the 1st para payment to the Blades would be in June 2022. This is probably why the loan facility was recently taken out. If Blades go down next May then they will not receive any para payments for over 12 months. With reduced income in the Championship which is further reduced with Covid and empty stadia it makes sense to have a cash flow facility.
Don’t they pay it out in line with the 3 instalments to the PL clubs and claw it back from your initial payment/a if you’re promoted?
That would make more sense than making an EFL team have to cash flow an expensive set of wages on gate receipts/commercial income only.

Don’t they pay it out in line with the 3 instalments to the PL clubs and claw it back from your initial payment/a if you’re promoted?
That would make more sense than making an EFL team have to cash flow an expensive set of wages on gate receipts/commercial income only.
That's not my understanding from what I have read, but it could be the case, my information may be out of date / incorrect. Also, there could be 9 teams at any one time in the Championship receiving para payments. That is approximately 300m in payments per year. That is a lot of money for the PL to effectively loan to the EFL side. I think it is fairly common for an EFL side to use a bank loan to manage their cash flow. I agree it would make more sense for the EFL side but no so much for the PL. Afterall, they are hoping the EFL team comes straight back up and forfeits their para payment.

I'm assuming that whatever the % that the TV has wiped off the overall deal will be applied to parachute payments. From memory it was around £300m and the overall package value is around £3bn so if you assume 10% lower it might be a good starting point. I haven't researched this but I'm sure I remember £300m being mentioned.

We've taken a loan out already based on Premiership money for the next few years. If we go down this season, the parachute payments get lost into paying this loan off.

It will be fire sale season when we drop, and the players we want to keep are the only ones we will get decent money for.

We've taken a loan out already based on Premiership money for the next few years. If we go down this season, the parachute payments get lost into paying this loan off.

It will be fire sale season when we drop, and the players we want to keep are the only ones we will get decent money for.
Cant see a fire sale. There is not a problem loaning money against guaranteed income. Interest rates are low
We may sell players that want to try and continue in the PL like Egan, JOC, Berge and possibly Baldock but if they dont want to go I can see us keeping them

I don't think the double drop is any more likely than us bouncing back. I can see 4 or 5 years "consolidating".

Cant see a fire sale. There is not a problem loaning money against guaranteed income. Interest rates are low
We may sell players that want to try and continue in the PL like Egan, JOC, Berge and possibly Baldock but if they dont want to go I can see us keeping them

The guaranteed income was in staying in the top flight.

Do you think parachute payments cover anything other than increased wages?

Edit, just found out it was taken against TV rights money that we'll lose if we drop out of Prem.

Last edited:
I'd also add, on top of this loan - there are mortgage payments for the ground, the hotel, shirecliffe and so forth. If this Prince suddenly can't find funds - and lets be honest, why would he be mortgaged and loaned up to the hilt if he could.....then suddenly dropping out of the top flight is going to cause MAJOR financial issues based on what we just wasted a little north of £100m on.

Hi, Stegossurus here,

Anyone else worried we might do a double drop? Confidence is shot. Wilders lost the lockeroom. Players are wank.

Beating Derbys record, I csmt see us bouncing back. In fact, I see us doing a double drop back to League 1
No chance. We saw against Newcastle how quickly a mojo, and new found confidence can be regained.

It’ll take a period to regroup next season, largely dependant on continuation and mindset of the manager, and time for a few new additions to bed in.

The question was “what happens to parachute payments next season with the reduction in TV money due to Covid?”. I don’t understand the relevance of your point.

I think everyone is aware of the loan. I was merely commenting that if the overall PL deal worth £3bn has dropped by 10% due to Covid, then it stands to reason that the £90m we are expecting might turn out to be less due to Covid.

I think he'd be a good asset in a team that has the ball. Next season we will hopefully be one of those.
You say that, but he had the ball a few times on Sunday and the issue was that he shit his pants and gave them the ball.

Hi, Stegossurus here,

Anyone else worried we might do a double drop? Confidence is shot. Wilders lost the lockeroom. Players are wank.

Beating Derbys record, I csmt see us bouncing back. In fact, I see us doing a double drop back to League 1
No

Hi, Stegossurus here,

Hi Sportbilly Here,

The last time we "spoke" you were at home with an apple in your mouth, covered in brandy butter, and masturbating furiously over pictures of Ron Atkinson. How's things been since then Sir?

Have you moved onto dressing up as Gary Megson, and throwing darts at a giant cardboard cutout of Neil Warnock?!

Hi, Stegossurus here,

Stopped reading at locker room

The original comment was about Berge
Oh apologies. I assumed it was Norwood.

I’ve just read back, Berge and Norwood would both be an asset next season. Can’t see Berge being around though. It will cost us a bit to get rid as well in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom