Anyone else have one of these??

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
The wall plaque behind Wilders head?

I have one that my old man gave me back in the 90's, not totally sure how old it is or how long he had it but it is a real rarity and I can't remember seeing another of it's sort.

Mine is brass and the central football is a right old weight and isn't attached to the rest so you can lift it off.....Every time I have a BBQ or party at our place, the mates see it in it's pride of place on the dresser in the dining room and offer to buy it off me :)

image.jpg

I seem to remember doing a tour of The Lane about 15 years ago, and being told there was a second plaque but it got nicked and no-one had a clue where it was any more! Not that I'm accusing your dad of anything mind! ;)

As I say though it was a while ago so I might have muddled up some of the details since then!

The wall plaque behind Wilders head?

I have one that my old man gave me back in the 90's, not totally sure how old it is or how long he had it but it is a real rarity and I can't remember seeing another of it's sort.

Mine is brass and the central football is a right old weight and isn't attached to the rest so you can lift it off.....Every time I have a BBQ or party at our place, the mates see it in it's pride of place on the dresser in the dining room and offer to buy it off me :)

image.jpg
I think there's 4 altogether and they used to be on the side of locomotives that ran between Sheffield and London in the 50s. John Garett said the one behind Wilders head is the most valuable possession at bramall lane more so than any of the memorabilia on display in the museum. I ve got £150,000 in my head but much like Bristol Blade I did the tour a while ago

I have an original "Bramall Lane" road sign, cast iron, I guess 1 of 3/4, so would possibly have been there when we were formed, pride of place in our kitchen, great conversation piece.

It's the nameplate from the side of an LNER B17 steam engine. They were nicknamed the footballers as some of them were named after football clubs..... Them other lot included!!!.... I believe all the teams who had a loco named after the club were presented with a nameplate when the locos were named.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_B17

An original would be worth six figures easily these days. More likely any you have seen in homes are replicas. ;)

Here's an image of our loco.....

p351284887-3.jpg

Hornby even made a model of it....

1422368726137000380761649_21.JPG

Last edited:
It's the nameplate from the side of an LNER B17 steam engine. They were nicknamed the footballers as some of them were named after football clubs..... Them other lot included!!!.... I believe all the teams who had a loco named after the club were presented with a nameplate when the locos were named.

An original would be worth six figures easily these days. More likely any you have seen in homes are replicas. ;)

View attachment 18236

View attachment 18237

Why is the figure in the cab playing a banjo? :rolleyes:

View attachment 18236

View attachment 18237
Interesting article & picture, I note that the B17 class was a 4-6-0, presumably LNER who operated this locomotive changed its configuration to 3-5-2 but if that proved unsuccessful went to a more orthodox 4-4-2?

Also did LNER have a policy of selling off their more successful locomotives & replacing with smaller inferior models, a kind of latter day game changing investment?

Were the replacements then subsequently given the same name - think Liverpool here?

20150815_113552.jpg 20150815_114533.jpg

View attachment 18236

View attachment 18237
They did indeed.

Limited edition of 250.

Here's mine :)

I'm fairly certain they sell those plaques at a North Yorkshire Moors Railway gift shop in Grosmont

I've got (what I assume although didn't realise until this post is) a brass replica of the "Sheffield United" arch, about 15" long (on a cold day) in my old room at Ma & Pa's. No idea where it's from but think it was a birthday present. Are they a bit rare?

I've got (what I assume although didn't realise until this post is) a brass replica of the "Sheffield United" arch, about 15" long (on a cold day) in my old room at Ma & Pa's. No idea where it's from but think it was a birthday present. Are they a bit rare?

Same as mine roughly by the sounds of it....I worried for a bit that I had somehow aquired a bit of red merchandise but apparently it is all above board thankfully :)

Apparently these were knocked out in the 70's / 80's? From what I am told however they didn't produce and sell that many of the therefore sounds like we do have a bit of a rarity on our hands. I for one wouldn't sell mine though....It is after all my pride and joy on display on my dresser!

Same as mine roughly by the sounds of it....I worried for a bit that I had somehow aquired a bit of red merchandise but apparently it is all above board thankfully :)

Apparently these were knocked out in the 70's / 80's? From what I am told however they didn't produce and sell that many of the therefore sounds like we do have a bit of a rarity on our hands. I for one wouldn't sell mine though....It is after all my pride and joy on display on my dresser!
I think I've woefully underappreciated mine! It's just sat propped up on a bookshelf collecting dust :( I feel inclined all of a sudden to find a permanent home for it. Somewhere the wife won't see it...

If you don't mind answering, 'ow much worrit?

Well I never! There is a brass similar to mine on Ebay as we speak for anyone who is interested in purchasing one.... It needs a bit of work I suppose but without bids at the minute and opening asking price of £75 (8 days remaining)

Do I purchase it and polish it up to add another to my collection? That is the question!

The item is currently based in West Yoprkshire which saddens me and also makes me want to return it back home to South Yorkshire as well haha.

Actually out of interest is this anybody on the forum? Have I prompted this listing? If so PM me because I might be interested in buying it if the price is right....Cash in hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINT...800855?hash=item281b6cb4d7:g:XqUAAOSwuzRXdSYI

I paid just over £50 for it, I have no idea if that is good or not but I was prepared to pay it at the time as I'd never seen another one for sale.

You gonna enamel paint it back up designblade or just leave it bare?

Well I never! There is a brass similar to mine on Ebay as we speak for anyone who is interested in purchasing one.... It needs a bit of work I suppose but without bids at the minute and opening asking price of £75 (8 days remaining)

Do I purchase it and polish it up to add another to my collection? That is the question!

The item is currently based in West Yoprkshire which saddens me and also makes me want to return it back home to South Yorkshire as well haha.

Actually out of interest is this anybody on the forum? Have I prompted this listing? If so PM me because I might be interested in buying it if the price is right....Cash in hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINT...800855?hash=item281b6cb4d7:g:XqUAAOSwuzRXdSYI
Jesus, this must be FUCKING MASSIVE
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheffield...015765?hash=item1c68e66c55:g:ZSwAAOSw95lXFR62

Interesting article & picture, I note that the B17 class was a 4-6-0, presumably LNER who operated this locomotive changed its configuration to 3-5-2 but if that proved unsuccessful went to a more orthodox 4-4-2?

Also did LNER have a policy of selling off their more successful locomotives & replacing with smaller inferior models, a kind of latter day game changing investment?

Were the replacements then subsequently given the same name - think Liverpool here?
Actually the LNER, considering their parlous financial state, had a bit of a reputation for building far too many flashy Pacific locomotives when they were crying out for larger numbers of cheaper 4-6-0s that would more than do the job.

Back
Top Bottom