Another record set

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Norwich didn't sack Farke, Burnley didn't sack Dyche etc etc.

We have changed formation. The last two games we have played a number 10.

I wonder if either of those clubs would have changed things having 2 points from 16 games? Norwich were in contention for staying up until after lock down, Burnley always flirt with relegation during a season. Neither were cut a drift and embarrassed like we are now.

This is no longer a bad start to a season.

Norwich didn't sack Farke, Burnley didn't sack Dyche
TBF those sides had more money and weren't anywhere close to how gargantuanly wank we are right now. I have no fucking clue what we are supposed to do to turn us around and get us prepared for a supposed promotion attempt.

Wilder will always be a legend but he should go, he massively over achieved last season and exceeded the expectations of the world. He has built a platform for the club to build on but now should atep aside and allow his legacy to be built on. He has been backed with stupid amounts of money but has failed to assemble anything premier league. For me his tike is up but his legacy will live on!

But dare to want him out and you’re called a pig or a fairweather fan. Fucking weird.

No one's calling anyone anyone a pig for thinking that or a fairweather fan. But the only feasible alternative is probably Big Sam in this situation and he's already gone - not that I wanted him. We could maybe appoint someone like Eddie Howe, but based on last season would he really do better?! I very much doubt it.

Many blame Wilder for the last window but I don't think for one minute Wilder thought we'd be this bad and therefore bought players in to compete with what we've got, but struggled to bring in players that are better than what we have; only Ramsale was a certain starter and that was because Henderson had gone. Brewster has been a disappointment considering the fee, there's no doubt about that. But most alternatives, within this country anyway, are no better that we couuld afford. He can only bring in players that the wage budget allows for, and ultimately that's what buys quality, far more than a transfer fee, alhough in our case we'd have to buy players that broke a transfer fee also, such as Watkins from Brentford who's on £75,000 a week reportedly.

Buying from abroad is a gamble and again we'd be in the lower end abroad wage wise, in comparison to the players that instatntly make a difference.

No one's calling anyone anyone a pig for thinking that or a fairweather fan.

I mean, they definitely are 🤣🤣

That a pig shirt you're wearing?

Obviously a fairweather fan, and not really a United fan at all.

At least if we do go down, (and I still believe we can stay up), you will go and support some other club, so why don't you jump ship early and do us all a favour.

FUCK OFF PIG.

FUCK OFF PIG.

I wonder if either of those clubs would have changed things having 2 points from 16 games? Norwich were in contention for staying up until after lock down, Burnley always flirt with relegation during a season. Neither were cut a drift and embarrassed like we are now.

This is no longer a bad start to a season.
Norwich were a basket case imo and never looked like staying up despite the odd good result.

Burnley got relegated under Dyche in their first season back up and kept him anyway which has turned out well for them.

For me Wilder has been far more successful than Dyche, though I agree neither Norwich nor Burnley were as hopeless as we are atm.

I mean, they definitely are 🤣🤣
You're always going to get a few saying that but not sure that was meant as a serious statement or ironic. We're all angry and having a go at other fans is probably all we've got right now - not that that helps either! At least there's one less game to go from this wretched season. Night.

People are saying it too often as they always do, but it's not like there aren't reasonable posts you could choose to respond to instead.
Oh there are some more reasonable posts indeed, but to not be able to question the manager without being called a pig in any way shape or form is bizarre

Norwich were a basket case imo and never looked like staying up despite the odd good result.

Burnley got relegated under Dyche in their first season back up and kept him anyway which has turned out well for them.

For me Wilder has been far more successful than Dyche, though I agree neither Norwich nor Burnley were as hopeless as we are atm.

Norwich had the odd good result is a level we aren't at. Dyche gave Burnley a good run and earned a crack at promotion. We just look all wrong.

My argument isn't a sentimental one though. Wilder's success speaks for itself.

I'm not suggesting it's obvious he should stay, but I still feel it's the best decision for the club long term.
Trying to take emotion out of it (very hard).

Successful managers in the top league, build squads capable of switching formations. I can’t think of a single successful side that was so glued to one formation.

Successful managers are able to impact and react to games in real time. Wilders substitutions are laughably bad, he consistently costs us games (Jags vs Man Utd). It’s just a revolving door of players in the same formation, hoping that one permutation might magically click. We don’t have the players currently to play 3-5-2 so why on earth are we persisting with it?! Unless of course it’s 10 minutes to go and we’re losing then it’s 2-1-whothefuckknows

Successful managers spend wisely and build balanced squads. Our recruitment has been an unmitigated disaster. We’ve spent a fortune on average players, and left huge gaps meaning Osborn and Robinson are now starting Premier League games.

Successful managers can manage egos, and pick sides based on the best chance for success, even if it’s unpopular. Wilder is wildly inconsistent in player treatment. Duffy > shown the door, Lundstram > still getting picked until recently. Some players seemingly undroppable (Baldock), others play well then inexplicably dropped (Bogle, Burke).

If we persist to get us back up (a solid plan, then surely we must demand improvement?

Oh there are some more reasonable posts indeed, but to not be able to question the manager without being called a pig in any way shape or form is bizarre
I think most people agree, probably even some of the people saying it. They are lashing out because we are shit.

I think since BushBlade has said it, it’s not left my mind.

There’s nothing to suggest Wilder is any better than Paul Lambert. He could be managing Blackburn in the championship in a years time.

Successful managers in the top league, build squads capable of switching formations. I can’t think of a single successful side that was so glued to one formation.

Successful managers are able to impact and react to games in real time. Wilders substitutions are laughably bad, he consistently costs us games (Jags vs Man Utd). It’s just a revolving door of players in the same formation, hoping that one permutation might magically click. We don’t have the players currently to play 3-5-2 so why on earth are we persisting with it?! Unless of course it’s 10 minutes to go and we’re losing then it’s 2-1-whothefuckknows

Successful managers spend wisely and build balanced squads. Our recruitment has been an unmitigated disaster. We’ve spent a fortune on average players, and left huge gaps meaning Osborn and Robinson are now starting Premier League games.

Successful managers can manage egos, and pick sides based on the best chance for success, even if it’s unpopular. Wilder is wildly inconsistent in player treatment. Duffy > shown the door, Lundstram > still getting picked until recently. Some players seemingly undroppable (Baldock), others play well then inexplicably dropped (Bogle, Burke).

If we persist to get us back up (a solid plan, then surely we must demand improvement?
Wilder must improve us soon, that's undeniable.

I don't agree with some of your points though. I think many of his decisions regarding tranfers, substitutions and formations can be defended, but we've been so bad that, with hindsight, they all look awful.

For example, given we are punching above our weight, I agree that we should only change what has made us successful in the past if we have too. Clearly now we have nothing to lose and our priorities are changing, but I understand sticking with the formation. I don't think we could afford to buy the calibre of player that can play in multiple different systems to a high level.

Wilder must improve us soon, that's undeniable.

I don't agree with some of your points though. I think many of his decisions regarding tranfers, substitutions and formations can be defended, but we've been so bad that, with hindsight, they all look awful.

For example, given we are punching above our weight, I agree that we should only change what has made us successful in the past if we have too. Clearly now we have nothing to lose and our priorities are changing, but I understand sticking with the formation. I don't think we could afford to buy the calibre of player that can play in multiple different systems to a high level.
We can disagree with the finer points, but to build a squad for a single formation is madness in my eyes. To build a squad for one formation, lose critical players that made that formation successful, then persist with it, with players clearly not capable, is whatever beyond madness is.

I think since BushBlade has said it, it’s not left my mind.

There’s nothing to suggest Wilder is any better than Paul Lambert. He could be managing Blackburn in the championship in a years time.
His record at previous clubs?

Resigned at Livingston after only winning two games, then resigned at Wycombe after losing in the play offs.

Went to Colchester, threatened to make the play offs but finished mid table. Spanked Norwich in the first game of the next season and got the job.

His record at previous clubs?

Resigned at Livingston after only winning two games, then resigned at Wycombe after losing in the play offs.

Went to Colchester, threatened to make the play offs but finished mid table. Spanked Norwich in the first game of the next season and got the job.
Wilder was stagnating at Oxford, got the Northampton job on the back of the fact it was best for both parties he leave. Strength to strength since then u too now, but it’s not an outlandish suggestion

Wilder was stagnating at Oxford, got the Northampton job on the back of the fact it was best for both parties he leave. Strength to strength since then u too now, but it’s not an outlandish suggestion
He did get Oxford promoted initially before stagnating in a higher division, something Lambert didn't manage.

It's not a ridiculous suggestion though you're right, his career could easily deteriorate from here and never recover. Lets hope it doesn't.

A better comparison would be Adkins,
Scunthorpe U - Promoted twice
Southampton - back to back promotions

Despite having a couple of relegations, back in the early 2010s Adkins was a manager on the up

Now look at him and the memories he gave us, hopefully not the path wilder is following

Odds on back to back relegations or 2 in 3 seasons ? We look absolutely beaten. Really worried this will continue next season mentally. If we really do break Derby’s points record, how do you even recover from that ?

I haven’t said anything about sacking him. I’m tired of him not being made to answer tough questions. Let him get shirty.
Modern journalism for you mate, particularly in football. Reporters are shit scared of upsetting players and managers, who are so fragile and sensitive they can’t face any form of criticism or even difficult, challenging questions. Pathetic really.

That Wilder has done astonishingly well for us since he's been at the club. He has been voted as one of, if not the best manager in the country over the past few years.

Our choice is:
- keep a manger who has a great CV, is the perfect fit for our club and has already delivered far more for us than anyone could've dreamed. Or

- sack a club legend in the hope that, what? Some dinosaur like Pulis or Fat Sam come and try to keep us up in vain? We hit the jackpot again and hire another manager that will take us to the next level? (the type of manager that would surely not join us at this point)

I know what I'd prefer. As utterly miserable as I am now, successful clubs think long term.
Precisely this.

Just because I think that on balance, our best bet is to keep Wilder (for broadly the same reasons you've outlined), that does not mean I'm putting Wilder ahead of the clubs interests, or that I believe Wilder to be 'bigger than the club'. Those coming out with unintelligent rubbish like that are as bad as those calling others who believe it is time for a change 'pigs'. We're all Blades, we all know how bad this season is going - the only difference is how we would respond to the situation if we were the Prince/the board.

For me, the reality is that if we wanted to make a managerial change in order to try and save our Premier League skin, then we would have had to have done it a month or so ago. As it is, we've stuck by our man, and even if we were to replace him now, we'd almost certainly be relegated any way. The logical conclusion therefore is that we think ahead to next season in the Championship. As it stands I still do not see any other manager out there who I would back to re-build a promotion chasing Sheffield United over Chris Wilder.

Absolutely nothing to do with being loyal to Chris Wilder and absolutely everything to do with believing he is still our best bet despite our situation.

Worst is that Wilder has always said he won't put square pegs in round holes but he has been doing that this season just to keep the system.

Must admit I’m getting sick of people telling me we have to keep Wilder because he got us up from League 1. Adkins did that for Southampton and they were higher up the Premier League when he was sacked and replaced by Pocchetino. The point is, when your breaking all records for awful, something has to change.

Southampton had already steadied the ship and started to get some results when Poch came in. Whoever comes in here if CW goes will struggle and almost certainly take us down so I reckon stick with him. But as said on a different thread I could see him walking eventually anyway if this dreadful run continues.

It would be the end of an era if he goes and I'd not be confident that the next era would be as good.

Back
Top Bottom