Alfreton and our front line in general?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
Been down to the game tonight and lets be fair we were far superior and ran the show for the most but the finishing was a bit rusty. I am willing to put it down to "getting back into the swing of things" for now, Taylor looks sharp enough anyway and his stats last season speak for themselves so I'm not concerned on that front too much. He pounced on a rebound tonight and buried it after seeing a couple of other chances go begging.

Have we got enough up front however? What do you think?

I would like to see another come in but the odds are very much against it. Porter and Taylor are the real options but then again I would hope to see goals from Brandy, Murphy and hopefully a new attacking McDonald.

Have we got enough goals in there? The other day I had a quick browse at previous seasons in League One and it seems you need to bag 70+ goals in this league carve any sort of impact out, I know this isn't set in stone but that is how it looks on paper anyway therefore looking at our squad can you see this many goals anywhere?

A couple of seasons ago we got 92 goals which equated to about 1.90 goals per game however a third of them were contributed by one player alone however Williamson and Cresswell I believe knocked in double figures as well?

Last season we only scored 56 goals and we only had one player on double figures I believe which was Blackman, Kitson came close but thats about it however due to having a decent enough back four over the course of the season we still achieved a top 6 finish so I don't know?.

So in conclusion to my long winded post.......

Have we got enough in our team to bag the required amount of goals?

Have we got a high scoring striker in Lyle taylor?

Will Miller come back and pick up where he left off hopefully banging in double figures?

Will our new, tricky and pacey midfield be able to knock in a good few goals for us?

Do we have to rely on another good solid defensively display this season in hope of snatch and grabbing 1-0 wins?

What do you lot think? I mean we have looked decent in attack in pre season but the ball hasn't hit the back of the net enough to inspire.

Last season we only scored 56 goals and we only had one player on double figures I believe which was Blackman, Kitson came close but thats about it however due to having a decent enough back four over the course of the season we still achieved a top 6 finish so I don't know?

Kitson scored 11.

Kitson scored 11.

as
Well i'm shocked was it really that many?

Mentally had him down as about 8-9 to be fair but never checked actual stats. One thing for sure in my own honest opinion he didn't do enough for me.

We completely dried up at the end of last season. I'm still fuming about finishing the season with 7 goals in 13 games (including the 2 playoff games).

I think Weir will fix the home form, we only scored 31 at home.

I think we'll get 70 plus goals and finish in the top 6. For once, we need to make sure we are the form side come playoffs.

We will see ................

I wish I could be optimistic but I just can't.

I think we'll struggle and the lack of goals will be a big part of it again.

Can see us finishing about 15th/16th.

Well last season Notts County had about 6 or 7 strikers and finished halfway down the league. We got away with it two seasons ago cos of Ched, we got away with it to a degree last season cos of a lot of clean sheets. The division looks stronger this time. Draw your own conclusions.

Speaking to another Blade tonight about Taylor and in a sense he is right, the standard of the league that Falkirk were in last year when Taylor was on fire could be considered could well be likened to that of League two. The results we got up there in pre season over Scottish League one opposition are what you would expect us at present to come away with had we played English League Two opposition.

But that said the lad has found the net a great deal last year and has a taste for it, hopefully he can bring that confidence down to the lane next season and set the league alight.

A massive part of me hopes that Brandy can have the same impact from Midfield as Williamson did a couple of seasons back. A I can't wait for Miller to return and hope that he stays fit and is up for it and bags a few.

Ever the optimistic.

The end of last season typified Sheffield United's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at every conceivable turn. I hope Taylor proves as prolific as he was last season, although wearing a United shirt seems to draw the worst from decent players.

Miller looked exciting until he got injured. My only criteria for a new striker (which I think would be useful) would be that he is nothing like Chris Porter, who I hope, in vain no doubt, will never again wear a Sheffield United shirt.

I wish I could be optimistic but I just can't.

I think we'll struggle and the lack of goals will be a big part of it again.

Can see us finishing about 15th/16th.

Hopelessly pessimistic and miles off. Weir'll certainly be in the top 6 and I'll now predict it - Top 2. Those who are conceding top spot to Wolves will be in for a surprise.

Miller will be key. Maybe need someone in to plug the gap till he comes back. Still think Porter can get double figures with a good run in the side with the right service.

Hopelessly pessimistic and miles off. Weir'll certainly be in the top 6 and I'll now predict it - Top 2. Those who are conceding top spot to Wolves will be in for a surprise.

interesting prediction pinchy, I hope you're right. personally I can see wolves winning the league,
can you explain why they won't? there's other teams like Peterborough who normally do well in this league
and Bristol City aswell as the Brentfords of last yr. you normally have a few wise words on here so am genuinely interested.

Those who are conceding top spot to Wolves will be in for a surprise.

Would agree with you on this. Takes a while to settle into this division. Wolves will have morale problems and a lot of players who think they are better than they actually are.

See us pushing play offs again but none of us really have a clue. New manager, new team, we could be surprised or we could be shocked.

Every time I do feel a surge of optimism, I remember that if one of our strikers does reach double figures by Xmas he'll be sold in January.

The only reason we got to keep Ched for the whole season was because the rape charge meant we received no offers.

Unless the club drops their stupid policy/excuse that you can't keep contracted players who receives better offers, we will constantly be struggling to replace them.

Been to both Mansfield and Alferton, we dominated both games against poor teams, which if we hadn't would have been a big problem. However still not convinced that our forward line will provide enough goals. Taylor as yet an unknown quantity, hopefully he can do the business. Porter is Porter never going to change, Ironside no where near ready , if he ever will be. Miller, we don't know when he will be back, and will he be the same finisher after a major injury.
Midfield do look more mobile and effective. but can the chip in with more goals this season?

Still think we need at least one more striker as cover, if not as the main asset.

Hopeful of a good season, but still concerned about the number of goals we can score.

Wolves will have as much trouble in league one as Newcastle did in the Championship, when many on here predicted they would be relegated again for some reason.

As for us, it is a major concern that we have no striker who will be fit for the start of the season who is a regular scorer at this level. Coupled with our non-scoring midfield, that is a worry. Someone like Taylor might be good, but there's a lot of risk that this team will be considerably worse than last years'.

And as Sothall says, it is probably academic, because as usual this years' plan seems to be sell first and worry about league position later.

I'm quietly optimistic about this season, I don't think we walk it by any stretch, and a lot depends on us having good luck with injuries.

Sounds like the pre-season games have gone well, with the players getting used to a system and playing at a higher tempo, without over exerting themselves.

As for the frontline it does worry me a little, especially on top of Weirs comments that he is looking for goals from more areas of the team, I hope to be proven wrong, but in my past experience when a manager has uttered that phrase its usually because they are hiding a lack of firepower upfront. Sadly proven 25+ goal a season strikers at cut price are like rocking horse plop. We have to hope that Taylor or Brandy step up a level.

Wolves to win the league, for me, with the Blades in 5th

If our defence can keep up the excellent standards of last season (most clean sheets, 2nd fewest goals conceded), and there's no reason why they shouldn't, then we don't need a huge uplift in the number of goals scored. We need to get more without doubt but I think the changes in personnel and formation can achieve that.

I'm reading "The numbers game" at the moment which shows how a clean sheet statistically is more valuable in terms of points gained than a single goal. If we get 21 clean sheets this season, I think we'll get automatic promotion.

If our defence can keep up the excellent standards of last season (most clean sheets, 2nd fewest goals conceded), and there's no reason why they shouldn't.

There is one obvious one. I will be as optimistic as you about that defence if it is still intact on 1 September but I would not bet on it.

I'd be much happier if we could add one more striker. Porter's a good team player but hardly prolific, Taylor's an unknown quantity and I'm just not sure Ironside's up to it.

Also think people maybe building Miller up a tad too much. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

I'm more optimistic about our ability to get goals than any time in the last couple of seasons.

Considering how short we were up front last season, I think with Taylor, Brandy and a hopefully more settled Murphy, we have three players who can get in to double figures.

Like others have said too, I think Porter will surprise a few this season and will benefit from the lone striker role.

I certainly think the way we're set up means we don't need to buy another forward.

If our defence can keep up the excellent standards of last season (most clean sheets, 2nd fewest goals conceded), and there's no reason why they shouldn't, then we don't need a huge uplift in the number of goals scored. We need to get more without doubt but I think the changes in personnel and formation can achieve that.

I'm reading "The numbers game" at the moment which shows how a clean sheet statistically is more valuable in terms of points gained than a single goal. If we get 21 clean sheets this season, I think we'll get automatic promotion.

Is it any good? been looking at getting a copy

I think things have changed a hell of a lot this summer. We have mainly brought in younger players with potential, it will take time to gel and some wont be up to it. I don't think we will know if there is enough fire power in the team until we are well into the season.
I wouldn't back us to go up this season but I'm really looking forward to watching how these young blades progress.
Porter - I watched him carefully at Mansfield and thought he had a good game but missed 2 chances - ever the enigma !

This is what pre seasons about, introduction of new players systems , tactics , its a bit paranoid to expect everything to fall into place within 10 minutes of our first game.
We are unbeaten , for whats that worth in what are kick abouts, as DW discovers what he inherited and blends in whos required. Seems to be going reasonably well, when you consider say Preston getting Kevin Davies in and getting thumped 4-0 at morecambe which would raise concerns, but the fact the hoof ball is taking a less prominent role will please some.

I think we will still end up with Boyd.
If he hasnt gone anywere before the end of Sept, i can see us taking a chance on him.

The end of last season typified Sheffield United's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at every conceivable turn. I hope Taylor proves as prolific as he was last season, although wearing a United shirt seems to draw the worst from decent players.

Miller looked exciting until he got injured. My only criteria for a new striker (which I think would be useful) would be that he is nothing like Chris Porter, who I hope, in vain no doubt, will never again wear a Sheffield United shirt.

I read all comments like this directed at Porter as. "I clearly think a striker should score goals in every game he plays"

and not.

"There's more to Porter's game than goals."

Take Miller for example. Did he or did he not start banging goals in when partnered with Porter?

as
Well i'm shocked was it really that many?

Mentally had him down as about 8-9 to be fair but never checked actual stats. One thing for sure in my own honest opinion he didn't do enough for me.

Not a dig at you per se... But this is the problem with a lot of fans on here. Don't know the facts but are willing to argue till the cows come home

Wolves will have as much trouble in league one as Newcastle did in the Championship, when many on here predicted they would be relegated again for some reason.

As for us, it is a major concern that we have no striker who will be fit for the start of the season who is a regular scorer at this level. Coupled with our non-scoring midfield, that is a worry. Someone like Taylor might be good, but there's a lot of risk that this team will be considerably worse than last years'.

And as Sothall says, it is probably academic, because as usual this years' plan seems to be sell first and worry about league position later.

Different manger. Different formation. Different setup.

And in reference to your final sentence... Haven't we just spent money on a player + brought in a Championship midfielder, two Premiership youth team players and one of the better League 1 performers of last season?

Not a dig at you per se... But this is the problem with a lot of fans on here. Don't know the facts but are willing to argue till the cows come home

As a season ticket holder for 23 years I know the facts, I've followed United through thick and thin, through highs and lows and I would like to think I know my stuff.

However when it comes to Kitson this one is a sore point on my side and one which I bare little interest in. We let Blackman go which was ridiculous to say the least. Kitson joined United on undoubtedly a very cushty wage and was probably one of if not our highest earner as a persuasion to keep him away from persuing his american dream.

Kitson for me never looked 100% fit and other players had to mop up when he ran out of steam and wasn't taken off the pitch. He scored a few but overall his contribution was far from good enough and I am quite content with seeing the back off him.

Then you have Porter. United fans love to hate him for some unknown reason but give him the same amount of respect and pitch time that Kitson got at the lane and he would score the same amount of goals if not more.

Bad decisions from the powers that be at the lane last year!

Back
Top Bottom