Alan Shearer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

However, in an alternate universe, Ramsdale and Calvert-Lewin take the place of Henderson and McBurnie in our squad.
I like DCL, and loosing Ramsdale now looks a mistake
But I would rather have Moose and Hendo in the starting 11

I like DCL, and loosing Ramsdale now looks a mistake
But I would rather have Moose and Hendo in the starting 11

I agree, I'm happy with how things of ended up. You'd be a fool not to be.

It's testament to how far we've come though: DCL, Ramsdale, Adams and Brooks have all gone on to be PL players, since we were in L1, yet you could argue none get into the starting 11 now.

For every Ramsdale there's a ton of Slews where we cashed in big and Diegos where we wish we'd had an offer worth taking.
I don’t think we’ve had a ‘Slew’ since Slew. The youth players that have been sold for £1m + have all gone on to be quite successful.

I’m very happy with how things have turned out, of course I am, but thinking about how much of our budget is going to have to go on a goalkeeper I really wish we had kept Ramsdale, above all of the others. I thought that Brooks was good business at the time but, and especially with the benefit of hindsight, I would like to have kept Ramsdale.

For every Ramsdale there's a ton of Slews where we cashed in big and Diegos where we wish we'd had an offer worth taking.

Diego was transfer listed by Wilder and is now playing for Buxton FC.

I don’t think we’ve had a ‘Slew’ since Slew. The youth players that have been sold for £1m + have all gone on to be quite successful.

Maybe. I can't be bothered to think through the list over the years. I'm trying to remember one we sold to someone like Chelsea years back. Point is, people said it was madness to sell Jordan Slew at the time. The confirmation bias is huge.

Diego was transfer listed by Wilder and is now playing for Buxton FC.

Exactly. But I can only imagine the uproar from those who assured me he was the real deal if we'd sold him for a million. You cash in on players based on their value and potential at the time. Looking back at individual instances in which you'd have been better holding on to them ignores all the failures. It also ignores the financial position the club was in at that time.

Maybe. I can't be bothered to think through the list over the years. I'm trying to remember one we sold to someone like Chelsea years back. Point is, people said it was madness to sell Jordan Slew at the time. The confirmation bias is huge.

Exactly. But I can only imagine the uproar from those who assured me he was the real deal if we'd sold him for a million. You cash in on players based on their value and potential at the time. Looking back at individual instances in which you'd have been better holding on to them ignores all the failures. It also ignores the financial position the club was in at that time.
Mellis. We didn’t sell him, they poached him.

I think the confirmation bias is actually supporting the idea that the players we sell will fail. We’re still looking back to the days when we flogged Quinn, Woodhouse and Morris Jnr for big money and they all disappeared without a trace. But that was years ago. Before Warnock. Since then we’ve sold two Kyles, Maguire, Lowton, DCL, Ramsdale, Brooks for decent money and they’ve all gone on to play in the PL.
How many have we sold for big money that haven’t? Slew. That’s it.

Still not convinced by DCL, think he’s over rated.

Like Ramsdale though and to the people saying “rather have Hendo”
Henderson isn’t our player!

I think the confirmation bias is actually supporting the idea that the players we sell will fail. We’re still looking back to the days when we flogged Quinn, Woodhouse and Morris Jnr for big money and they all disappeared without a trace. But that was years ago. Before Warnock. Since then we’ve sold two Kyles, Maguire, Lowton, DCL, Ramsdale, Brooks for decent money and they’ve all gone on to play in the PL.

Can Stephen Quinn be included in that list?

Can Stephen Quinn be included in that list?
I don’t know. There are two lists and you didn’t specify which one.

Squinny was sold for something in the region of £100k with a big add on that we got something close to a million if Hull went up whilst he was playing for them. Fortunately for us they did. He did OK in the PL as a squad player but has since suffered from injuries. It would be very unfair to compare him with Slew though, he’s had a reasonable career.

Lee Morris, Colins lad. Three and a half million to Derby wasn't a bad deal, throw in Curtis Woodhouse to Birmingham for a million and Wayne Quinn to Newcastle for another million was all good buisness at the time. A million then was as good as 3 million at todays prices.

Well, you're right in that in recent years I think our youth system had produced the most Premier League minutes played outside of Prem teams. But that means that the recent history is something of a statistical anomaly. Partly that'll be down to things we've done right and partly it'll be down be down to pure chance.

Well, you're right in that in recent years I think our youth system had produced the most Premier League minutes played outside of Prem teams. But that means that the recent history is something of a statistical anomaly. Partly that'll be down to things we've done right and partly it'll be down be down to pure chance.
How far do you want to go back? To the days when we sold Keith Edwards and Imre Varadi? :)

We never sold Jacob Mellis as he was never under contract to us. He was 16 and due to sign his first professional contract. Chelsea swooped in and offered him a deal which he took. As a result they had to pay £1.2mil to us in compensation.

We can't whinge too much. £1.2mil for a year old who'd never kicked a ball for us was good money, particularly when he wasn't actually under contract to us.

We never sold Jacob Mellis as he was never under contract to us. He was 16 and due to sign his first professional contract. Chelsea swooped in and offered him a deal which he took. As a result they had to pay £1.2mil to us in compensation.

We can't whinge too much. £1.2mil for a year old who'd never kicked a ball for us was good money, particularly when he wasn't actually under contract to us.
£400k rising to £1m if he played in the first team.

It's quite sad really that our academy has produced so many established Premier League players over the years, Phil Jagielka, Matt Lowton, Kyle Naughton, Kyle Walker, David Brooks, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and now Aaron Ramsdale, and yet they made their careers away from us.

At one stage we had more academy players in the Premier League than any other team. Our only current home grown product is Billy Sharp, who sadly doesn't look like he'll make the grade.

Jordan Slew should be a warning to young players who choose to follow the money. What a waste of talent. He had the potential to become an established Championship striker. Instead he's spent his career in non-league football.

Kicked a ball, I'm guessing the year old might not have even took a step yet? :rolleyes:

Jordan Slew should be a warning to young players who choose to follow the money. What a waste of talent. He had the potential to become an established Championship striker. Instead he's spent his career in non-league football.
He actually had a lengthy league career, albeit in the lower leagues, and will be financially comfortable owing to the 4 year contract at Blackburn.

But your point is a valid one.

Trouble is we were never going to be able to play him It was a good deal for all. CW knew all about DCL but he would not have had a game for us in LG 1 or in the Championship Billy and Goldie better This season still not better than the Moose.
Still not convinced by DCL, think he’s over rated.

Like Ramsdale though and to the people saying “rather have Hendo”
Henderson isn’t our player!

How far do you want to go back? To the days when we sold Keith Edwards and Imre Varadi? :)

If were going to do it, which I definitely won't, I'd look across clubs rather than just us. Not sure about timeframe but I'd stick to this century.

It'd be genuinely interesting to see how many Slews there are. My only point is that people are very quick to forget about the players who were sold and didn't make it, and there's the obvious question as to how many players bids are turned down for that you never find out about because the player never goes on to be a success anywhere. All the buzz there was about Diego, and I remember people telling me that Ironside was the real deal, and how it was criminal that McFadzean the younger wasn't getting game time. People never mention how many players with potential fail to make it in professional football when they're looking at Ramsdale and bemoaning that we sold him for a million.

I don’t know. There are two lists and you didn’t specify which one.

Squinny was sold for something in the region of £100k with a big add on that we got something close to a million if Hull went up whilst he was playing for them. Fortunately for us they did. He did OK in the PL as a squad player but has since suffered from injuries. It would be very unfair to compare him with Slew though, he’s had a reasonable career.
I think Squinny’s wages were killing us so he had to go. I got the impression he would have quite happily played for us regardless. I didn’t know that about the promotion clause though. That’s quite savvy.

Back
Top Bottom