Advice for avoiding traffic.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As fans we want a 10/10 team

But the players want 10/10 fans and Atmosphere

We are letting them down so badly

Happens at every ground in the country. Fans leave early, particularly when their club is losing and don’t look like turning it round. How many times have we sang ‘is there a fire drill’ and the likes?

Maybe if we’d not spent so long pretending we’re ‘the best supporters in the world’ and all that shit we’d be able to accept that we’re just football fans, no different to other fans and we act just the same.
I’d agree we aren’t much different, it’s widespread. We are certainly not great fans, but they no longer exist as a base in England.

What amazes me is the acceptance of the change, in and around the game. Hardly any clubs seem to do anything about the general atmosphere, and to most fans it’s just.....normal.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the team no longer seem to push the opposition right to the end. I remember under Warnock, for example, we would be losing and barrage the oppositions box - you felt as though we could score. Now, we seen to fizzle out king before 90 minutes.

Happens everywhere and every team's forum probably moans about it. It won't stop so might as well just leave it.

I’d agree we aren’t much different, it’s widespread. We are certainly not great fans, but they no longer exist as a base in England.

What amazes me is the acceptance of the change, in and around the game. Hardly any clubs seem to do anything about the general atmosphere, and to most fans it’s just.....normal.
I’m not sure what they can do. We don’t even like Sinclair playing GCB, I don’t think we’d take well to a bloke with a megaphone cheerleading like they do on the continent.

I’m not sure what they can do. We don’t even like Sinclair playing GCB, I don’t think we’d take well to a bloke with a megaphone cheerleading like they do on the continent.
Clear out 1,000 to 2,000 season ticket holders from the back of the kop, centrally. That includes me. Make it unreserved seating, and allow those who care to congregate in a position that can influence the kop.

The atmosphere would change overnight. That might spread to some others, who might start to view the occasion as something other than an extension of Sky TV.

They should take a trip around Europe just to realise how shit the average English football fan / experience has become.

One small point to consider. A tram usually hangs around on the track behind the station to pick up the leaving fans on Granville Road. Except it doesn't, you get a few early leavers make it to the tram stop then it fucks off, almost as if the conductor and driver are thinking fuck it, can't be doing with the hassle of dealing with 500 football fans. If you leave 5 minutes early you catch it. If you don't then its a 15-20 minute wait with the probability of it only going to fucking Herdings. It's a ritual this, ask anyone who catches it (and there are many at that end of town).

Clear out 1,000 to 2,000 season ticket holders from the back of the kop, centrally. That includes me. Make it unreserved seating, and allow those who care to congregate in a position that can influence the kop.

The atmosphere would change overnight. That might spread to some others, who might start to view the occasion as something other than an extension of Sky TV.

They should take a trip around Europe just to realise how shit the average English football fan / experience has become.
Not a bad idea but can you imagine the moaning and pissing from the majority of those being moved? And there’s no guarantee the walk ups would turn up every week. When it’s a cold Friday, the game’s on TV and it’s a Category A+, there could be big gaps.

Maybe have a ‘singing section’ but in the kop and offer some incentive to those who don’t want to sing to trade their tickets to sit elsewhere, like a discount or something. It needs input and commitment by the club, and I suspect they’re scared that the singing section might become the wannabe hooligan section.

Not a bad idea but can you imagine the moaning and pissing from the majority of those being moved? And there’s no guarantee the walk ups would turn up every week. When it’s a cold Friday, the game’s on TV and it’s a Category A+, there could be big gaps.

Maybe have a ‘singing section’ but in the kop and offer some incentive to those who don’t want to sing to trade their tickets to sit elsewhere, like a discount or something. It needs input and commitment by the club, and I suspect they’re scared that the singing section might become the wannabe hooligan section.
they’d moan, but put up with it. And you don’t need walk ups, because dispered season ticket holders from the rest of the kop would fill it. There’s that many now, stuffed in the corners and the gangways, trying to make some noise but constantly cancelling each other out because they’re dispersed.

Hooligans don’t sing either, it’s not cool. :)

they’d moan, but put up with it. And you don’t need walk ups, because dispered season ticket holders from the rest of the kop would fill it. There’s that many now, stuffed in the corners and the gangways, trying to make some noise but constantly cancelling each other out because they’re dispersed.

Hooligans don’t sing either, it’s not cool. :)
But if it’s unreserved, you can’t have a season ticket for those seats. I don’t get how the dispersed ST holders would be able to sit in those seats. Every ticket has a seat number, that’s just how it is and they won’t change that, it’s part of the policing of the supporters. I’m struggling with the logistics of this.

But if it’s unreserved, you can’t have a season ticket for those seats. I don’t get how the dispersed ST holders would be able to sit in those seats. Every ticket has a seat number, that’s just how it is and they won’t change that, it’s part of the policing of the supporters. I’m struggling with the logistics of this.
Every seat doesn’t have to have a seat number though - they know how’s many seats have been sold. You sell 8,000 with seat numbers, and 2,000 without. Some away games have unreserved seating.

I don’t claim to know the logistics of it either - but it surely can’t be rocket science.

Every seat doesn’t have to have a seat number though - they know how’s many seats have been sold. You sell 8,000 with seat numbers, and 2,000 without. Some away games have unreserved seating.

I don’t claim to know the logistics of it either - but it surely can’t be rocket science.
Yes, it does have to have a number and a corresponding ticket. So they know who bought the ticket for any particular seat, in case they have to identify him or her.

But tbh, it’s not going to happen so it’s not really worth arguing about.

....stay until the end with the other 5,000 of us. Straight home, traffic free.

Fucking cringeworthy, on national TV.

What’s happened to our support?

‘the end’ being the final whistle? where the likes of you jump up and pile onto the steps in a split second because, apparently, that means you’re better than everyone who left 30 seconds earlier and you can then come on here post rubbish from your ivory fucking tower? 24k people and S2 will be ‘traffic free’ five minutes after the match? shut up you spaz.

you leave early you beat the traffic, you leave late you’ll hit the back of the queue at the first set of lights, behind all the early birds. hope this helps.

‘the end’ being the final whistle? where the likes of you jump up and pile onto the steps in a split second because, apparently, that means you’re better than everyone who left 30 seconds earlier and you can then come on here post rubbish from your ivory fucking tower? 24k people and S2 will be ‘traffic free’ five minutes after the match? shut up you spaz.

you leave early you beat the traffic, you leave late you’ll hit the back of the queue at the first set of lights, behind all the early birds. hope this helps.
Yada, yada, yada. The same issues that have existed for decades, yet there was beer the need for the mass exodus. The only thing that’s changed is the attitude of fans like you.

You can define the scale of what makes a good fan. I can define the scale of what I find cringeworthy.

Enjoy your flask.

Yada, yada, yada. The same issues that have existed or decades, the only thing that’s changes is the attitude of fans like you. You can define the scale of what makes a good fan. I can define the scale of what I find cringeworthy.

Enjoy your flask.

you’re right. you win, you’ve convinced me. i’m sure your unwavering support has scored us loads of goals after the final whistle.

let me know when your piss has stopped boiling from me walking out two minutes early, yeah? all the best.

you’re right. you win, you’ve convinced me. i’m sure your unwavering support has scored us loads of goals after the final whistle.

let me know when your piss has stopped boiling from me walking out two minutes early, yeah? all the best.
Two minutes early? You stayed late then. Must have taken a big flask yesterday. ;)

Under warnock if we were losing at home he would have chucked the kitchen sink at the opposition for the Lat 10 minutes and the crowd would roar it on.
And only a fool could argue that it didn’t make a difference.

On the field, there’s no doubt we could do with a plan B, especially for late on. But the fans could have a part to play. Sadly, those days have gone.

Two minutes early? You stayed late then. Must have taken a big flask yesterday. ;)

apparently i missed some magic from marvin johnson but that’s just something i’ll have to live with.

flask? sorry can’t help you there. are these flasks you keep talking about only given out to the real supporters?

Last edited:
apparently i missed some magic from marvin johnson but that’s just something i’ll have to live with.

flask? sorry can’t help you there. are these flasks you keep talking about only given out to the real supporters?
You can tell me it’s your prerogative to leave when you want, you can tell me you pay your money, and make your choice. I couldn’t disagree.

But you can’t seriously argue that a vociferous crowd doesn’t help, and seeing 20,000 people stream out with a significant portion of the game still to go, in anyway helps the players.

Under warnock if we were losing at home he would have chucked the kitchen sink at the opposition for the Lat 10 minutes and the crowd would roar it on.
I don’t remember that working much in 2003/4 or 2004/5.

And players didn’t command huge wages in the championship in those days so we could afford to have attacking options to come off the bench. Yesterday we had a player coming back from injury, a striker who can’t score and some bloke who looked like he’d won a competition to play the last two minutes.

Not sure I’m getting these ‘we gave up at half time’ comments.

They were fucking quality second half. Have a look at their XI and tell me that’s not bottom half Premier League. Livermore, Barry, Gibbs, Rodriguez - 4 straight off the bat who’ve played for England in recent memory. They adapted and turned it on - we worked hard but ran out of gas chasing shadows...that’s when we needed to get behind our lot and give them some energy.

Sometimes I’m happy to hold my hands up and say we were beaten by a much better side. But the support didn’t help a jot.
Pretty much totally agree with that. There is no point in blaming the players when a really good side come to town and just outplayed us for 45 minutes.

The crowd was rubbish, but then I knew it would be when I went onto the concourse at half time. Lots of freezing people, being much quieter than normal. I was cold and miserable then and we'd just given a top team a football lesson.

Of course I stayed till the end and I applauded my teams' efforts. Top 6 with 22 gone is a very good return from these boys. It would be great if we made some decent signings in January to give ourselves a fighting chance

We don't have a kitchen sink anymore and we don't have Warnock. We had quite a few last gasp goals then contrary to what's been said above, in some games added time was the highlight of the match.

It’s a close one. I’m accustomed to 22,000 cardboard cutouts, or some empty seats, but watching them abandon ship in front of the players, with ten to go, is utterly embarrassing.
Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the TV. It was so embarrassing, I almost spilled my glass of port. I was slightly chilly with about 15 minutes to go and I wouldn't even leave the sofa to put another log on the fire until the ref had blown for full time. Call themselves Blades.

It's so hopeless now, I'm starting to lose interest. There's no way it'll ever get better. Couple it with the increasingly impossible task of climbing this mountain on the pitch unless you have the sort budget we never will and you have to ask, why bother? Even when we were top I felt next to nothing, because ultimately it was obvious we were only pretenders. It's still great compared to what we've had for the best part of a decade but it takes no time at all for that to count for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom