Academy revamp close to sign off and next seasons budget discussions and the assets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade58

Once a Blade, always a daft ****
Reaction score
YP talking to Steve Bettis

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder, owner Prince Abdullah and chief executive Stephen Bettis will this week discuss their plan, and their budget, for the summer’s transfer window.

The Blades showed in January they were prepared to be flexible by stealing a march on clubs wanting to sign midfielder Sander Berge.
Sander Berge: Record Sheffield United signing.

Sander Berge: Record Sheffield United signing.

“We had a budget for the January window excluding Sander but when the opportunity happened Prince Abdullah was extremely keen for us to pursue that,” explained Bettis, who also revealed the options to make loans for central defender Panagiotis Retsos and centre-forward Richairo Zivkovic were purely in the hands of Sheffield United.

“When doors open, we have that ability to act and act quickly,” said Wilder proudly.

“It’s a big number (to sign Berge) and it smashed our transfer record yet again but we looked where we needed to improve or add vital competition. It was key we did, so I’m grateful and thankful for the players we brought in.”
The deal which brought Berge from Champions League side Genk made the Norwegian international a £22m club record signing, although the fee is spread over a number of years.
The whole point of promotion to the Premier League for us is also looking to create a legacy.
Stephen Bettis, Blades chief executive
“Sander was looked at by us in the summer originally and it was something that didn’t happen but he was still on our radar,” revealed Bettis.
“There was other interest in Sander and we caught them on the hop because a lot of them were thinking they’d do it in the summer when he had 12 months left on his contract.”

Jack Rodwell and Jack Robinson were also signed in January.
This week’s meetings in Dubai will revise the summer budget in light of the Berge outlay, plus results which could bring extra prize money and potentially demands should they qualify for a first European campaign.
“Before the January window even opened, we had a plan in terms of our monetary sum, but also a plan for the forthcoming summer,” said Bettis.
“It’s something we’re now revisiting.

“Chris has already highlighted positions (he wants to strengthen in the summer) and by the end of the week we’ll be close to agreeing numbers so Chris knows exactly where he can start looking to strengthen.”
Leeds-based referee Jonathan Moss took charge of Sheffield United's game against Bournemouth

Referee Jonathan Moss has 'no case to answer' after being accused of 'zero respect' in Sheffield United game

The Blades are determined to invest in the longer-term, too, with a training-ground revamp close to sign-off.
“The whole point of promotion to the Premier League for us is also looking to create a legacy,” argued Bettis. “We’re close to finalising a new first-team building to be built in the summer and, hopefully, ready for next season.”

Wilder is often portrayed as “old school” but the plans for Shirecliffe show what an over-simplistic caricature it is.
“In terms of the intensity of the Premier League, recovery being key and video analysis going through the roof, these are things we need to keep pace with,” he argued. “We want to improve our players in all aspects, from a physical point of view, a technical and tactical point of view. These things will attract players, I’m sure.”

The training ground is one of the property assets the club will buy from previous owner Kevin McCabe this summer as part of the deal which saw Prince Abdullah take control earlier this season after a protracted High Court battle. “It’s paid for by the club but ultimately Prince Abdullah owns the club and what money’s required to cover that, if needed, will come from him,” explained Bettis.
“I don’t think fans need to worry. What’s happened in January shows the intent of the owner and the board to support Chris and the first team.”

The training ground is one of the property assets the club will buy from previous owner Kevin McCabe this summer as part of the deal which saw Prince Abdullah take control earlier this season after a protracted High Court battle. “It’s paid for by the club but ultimately Prince Abdullah owns the club and what money’s required to cover that, if needed, will come from him,” explained Bettis.

Not quite sure what SB is saying there. As I read it, basically we're not going down so we're spending next season's riches. A second year in the PL is worth another 100 million at least. Fair play to the Prince for sanctioning the transfers and acadamy upgrades, but we must remember that this is the club's cash, and we are in this fantastic situation due to the efforts of the players and management, not PA.

Saying that, PA's not done much wrong since winning the court case, and infrastructure improvements are always welcome. If we stay up next season I hope they will be looking at throwing a few more quid at the stadium too.

Not to piss on anyone’s way Chips, but the investment needs to include PL wages for first team regulars.
Imagine Arsenal, Spurs or Man U offering any of our key players 5x what they are earning now, on a long contract. They would be foolish to turn it down and we all know it. This is the real cost of continued membership of the PL.

I'm a bit confused (not for the first time) I saw a headline that said we were moving away from Shirecliffe as Chris Wilder want's to move away from "their territory" so is the academy staying there and the first team moving elsewhere with state of the art rehab and video technology or is Shirecliffe expanding? Being a true Yorkie, I didn't want to pay for the information the article was conveying, regarding moving away from Shirecliffe, if anyone did pay or is ITK regarding this could pass it on I would be very interested. Otherwise I think it is a great use of the new money from the Prem to invest it in better facilities for the first team which can only have a positive effect in the future.

I'm a bit confused (not for the first time) I saw a headline that said we were moving away from Shirecliffe as Chris Wilder want's to move away from "their territory" so is the academy staying there and the first team moving elsewhere with state of the art rehab and video technology or is Shirecliffe expanding? Being a true Yorkie, I didn't want to pay for the information the article was conveying, regarding moving away from Shirecliffe, if anyone did pay or is ITK regarding this could pass it on I would be very interested. Otherwise I think it is a great use of the new money from the Prem to invest it in better facilities for the first team which can only have a positive effect in the future.

A new first team building is being built this summer at Shirecliffe, and a new academy/first team centre is in the advanced planning stage.

The new build academy will be academy first, and then the first team will move in at some point in the future.

I dont mind it staying at Shirecliffe - its close to get to BDTBL anyway AND if its close to the shite it will remind them of how far ahead of them we are in err ....EVERYTHING !

Going to a category 1 set up means we can get the best kids from a bigger area and will attract better signings too. Vital.

Having a cat 1 Academy means we can enter the EF`L Trophy.
Imagine in 2 years time with SW playing in league 1 there could be the famous cup tie.

SheffIeld United under 23 Academy v Sheffield Wednesday full team

Not quite sure what SB is saying there. As I read it, basically we're not going down so we're spending next season's riches. A second year in the PL is worth another 100 million at least. Fair play to the Prince for sanctioning the transfers and acadamy upgrades, but we must remember that this is the club's cash, and we are in this fantastic situation due to the efforts of the players and management, not PA.

Saying that, PA's not done much wrong since winning the court case, and infrastructure improvements are always welcome. If we stay up next season I hope they will be looking at throwing a few more quid at the stadium too.

And so it begins.......

Everything needs paying for, so you can't just keep asking the club to throw more money in every direction the books still need to balance.
We've spent a serious amount of money bringing in players since promotion, easily £70 Million then add to that the signing on and agent fees.
The wage bill has grown significantly after our promotion, and this will grow further with the new deals as and when they're signed.
We also had upgrades to the Stadia to get us ready for Premier League TV, and committed to an upgrade at the academy, so honestly, how much change do you reckon there's left?

PA, along with other parties, put in millions year on year when we needed it to keep the lights on. so I think he's allowed to to claim some of the rewards and credit, along with those you mentioned and while it's the clubs cash it's up to him how he chooses to spend it.
How the club or owner can be getting any criticism at the minute is truly beyond me.

Can't wait for the ST price outrage thread in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Who's criticising PA?

Can't wait for the ST price outrage thread in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

The last sentence was probably tongue in cheek.

In reality if we increase ST prices by 10% - the increase would bring in way less than £1m extra revenue.

The difference in finishing 17th and 7th is 10 places and upwards of £20m "extra" at the end of this season that we probably didn't budget for.

I doubt there will be any increase THIS season.

UTB

Blade 58, thanks for that really enjoyed reading some more positive news, we have had in my time as a blade some good players and teams and has been discussed a few times on here about which is the best team(s) but never has the future both short and long term come anywhere close to where we are now, unbelievable, exciting, mad times, will it ever end?

In reality if we increase ST prices by 10% - the increase would bring in way less than £1m extra revenue.

The difference in finishing 17th and 7th is 10 places and upwards of £20m "extra" at the end of this season that we probably didn't budget for.

UTB
unnamed.jpg

Shirecliffe gets a stop gap upgrade allowing us time to get the future base right. Perfect.

Going to a category 1 set up means we can get the best kids from a bigger area and will attract better signings too. Vital.

The biggest, most important legacy from the Premier League millions. United's former academy structure was being undermined post EPPP. Get this sorted and it will be a fitting legacy for Wilder and the Prince.

Did Bettis mention owt abhart Student Flats .........

It was the in Vogue solution to all our problems once upon a time

Cant have binned the thinking behind this ................ surely ........... 🤪

UTB
I think it makes sense to increase it incrementally each season, because it’s easier to take than a sudden dramatic increase in a couple of years’ time.

I think it makes sense to increase it incrementally each season, because it’s easier to take than a sudden dramatic increase in a couple of years’ time.

yep, can see your point and I don't disagree.

But, If the average (for sake of discussion) is £300 per ST, taking into account all concessions and at inflationary increase of 2.5%:

£300 x 25,000 x 2.5% = £187,500 - it's peanuts - we might as well ask Adidas for an extra £200K each season and promote their goods more.

I question whether that small value is worth it, considering we are due a 2nd season in the big league.

UTB

yep, can see your point and I don't disagree.

But, If the average (for sake of discussion) is £300 per ST, taking into account all concessions and at inflationary increase of 2.5%:

£300 x 25,000 x 2.5% = £187,500 - it's peanuts - we might as well ask Adidas for an extra £200K each season and promote their goods more.

I question whether that small value is worth it, considering we are due a 2nd season in the big league.

UTB
Just do a list of all the things we could do with.

New signings in the summer.
Increased contracts for our existing players.
Improving Shirecliffe
Improving the Lane

We could spend every penny twice over.

And if we went down next season, we’d expect prices to go down. If we don’t put them up first, STs would be cheaper in two season’s time than they were last season.

He's critisised the conduct of the Prince during the course of the legal dispute. But I'm sure he's just as happy as any other Blade about what's happening at the moment, and as far as I know hasn't criticised any signings or academy plans.

There were rumours that he had opposed the signing of Mousse and McB but I think that was something that was implied by PA and not confirmed or denied by KM

I think he's been pretty gracious since the appeal was denied. Hope we see him back at the Lane soon. If nothing else we can thank him for a) Westfield Corner, which is a great job and b) appointing CW

Back
Top Bottom