Academy reshuffle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Born in 1997 (17) which hardly makes him part of United academy development. He left Man City in 2014 he was 16/17

He was scouted by our academy and spent a year in the system. Without our academy (or someone else's) its unlikely he would have become a pro footballer.

Its true that our academy didn't play as big a part when compared to other players, but it did play a part. I'm not sure why you're so desperate to deny the academy any credit?

I am not desperate, Just trying to ascertain facts. As for scouting him there for a year there is a stand full of scouts waiting to get their cast offs. Pre Jack some young academy players inexplicably found themselves at Man U draw your conclusions.

Last edited:
Don't have enough pitches to be a cat 1 academy on site at shirecliffe, would mean moving to another site.

Probably was a bit harsh to suggest that those players didn't really feature for the academy teams but Brooks was signed at a late age and Adams never played for our academy teams.

We have the best GK coach in the country in Darren Ward and he's pushed Ramsdale on.

My thoughts are the first team will re locate to a higher spec training ground in another part of the city and Shirecliffe will become purely an Academy venue.

I think that sites might be found shortly that might be/will be very good. I think what Wilder says goes.

If anyone watched the 16 year old David Brooks that joined us compared to the David Brooks that broke through to our first team, they know how much our academy helped develop him.
I wonder what Pot rating the FM researcher gave him when he joined? :)

Shirecliffe would be suitable if the first team left as it would free up pitches for the academy, needed for Cat1 status.
Surely there's value in having everything on one site though? Seems pointless building a state of the art academy facility then leaving the first team in what is still effectively a WMC in S5.

I'd imagine we'll move the whole lot somewhere and sell Shirecliffe off given the investment needed there.

On the Shirecliffe/new base conversation: Liverpool are leaving Melwood at the end of the season, combining their first team and academy training centres into a new £50m facility

£50m is obviously way beyond what we can afford but it shows where the elite thinking is.

On one of the powerpoint it bullet point made reference to finding a new site. I can't find the pictures so couldn't check for certain.

I am not desperate, Just trying to ascertain facts. As for scouting him there for a year there is a stand full of scouts waiting to get their cast offs. Pre Jack some young academy players inexplicably found themselves at Man U draw your conclusions.

On your search for facts, did you conclude that Brooks was in fact part of our academy?

Why are you going on about this? You claim I am desperate to say he isn't but you seem to be desperate to do otherwise. All I am saying is that at 16/17 l, when he arrived, I don't think he is our academy product whereas you said he is? Opinions.
I know that the we are looking for new locations without looking at a PowerPoint.

Born in 1997 (17) which hardly makes him part of United academy development. He left Man City in 2014 he was 16/17

You are right, he was originally on trial with us as Man City were not going to offer him professional terms at the end of his scholarship at the end of season 2015 - we signed him on pro terms in March 2015 when he was still 17 - he was 18 in July 2015. He describes in the book by Danny Hall - "He's one of our own " how he had a trial at Bolton before he came to United but they said "he was too small". It was Nigel Clough who signed him of course.

Brooks wasn't a Sheffield United academy product he got to us at 17 on professional terms.
You are right, he was originally on trial with us as Man City were not going to offer him professional terms at the end of his scholarship at the end of season 2015 - we signed him on pro terms in March 2015 when he was still 17 - he was 18 in July 2015. He describes in the book by Danny Hall - "He's one of our own " how he had a trial at Bolton before he came to United but they said "he was too small". It was Nigel Clough who signed him of course.

Both wrong:

15/16Jul 1, 2015Sheffield United U18
England
Sheff Utd U18Sheffield United
England
Sheffield Utd.--
14/15Jul 1, 2014Manchester City U18
England
Man City U18Sheffield United U18
England
Sheff Utd U18-Free transfer

He was still only 16 when he joined our academy in 2014. Signed a pro contract in 2015.

I said 16/17 and I won't change my opinion that he was our academy product. My view is you cease to be an product of the academy at 16. We disagree on whether he was our academy product, you want him to be seen as such whereas I don't see him as one. In the last ten years I don't thing our academy can claim that Brooks has been one of their products, but I think we had great scouts to pick him up after Man City rejected him.

Last edited:
I said 16/17 and I won't change my opinion that he was our academy product. My view is you cease to be an product of the academy at 16. We disagree on whether he was our academy product, you want him to be seen as such whereas I don't see him as one. In the last ten years I don't thing our academy can claim that Brooks has been one of their products, but I think we had great scouts to pick him up after Man City rejected him.

Brooks was in our academy so he is a product of our academy.

I wasn't aware the Shirecliffe site wasn't a suitable site to be a Cat 1 Academy, surely if the 1st team moved elsewhere it would free up a LOT of space.

Apparently not. See the rest of the thread.

Cat 1 status also requires floodlighting which shirecliffe doesn’t not have. And that itself would be an expensive addition so makes no sense to stay there.

Back
Top Bottom