Academy Formation and playing style

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Anyone know if they are taught to play in the same formation and playing style as the first team?

Would make sense as if any of the players were deemed good enough for the first team then it shouldn't be too difficult to settle in etc.

Barca's academy, La Masia, play the same style as their first team which is why it seems like their academy players settle straight into the first team - like when Messi broke through, Sergi Roberto, Sergio Busquets etc

My by eye assessment is/was....
In recent years, under Dungworth & Binnion, the U23s have generally set up as three at the back & similar to the First Team. Interestingly, if they've been a bit short of personnel, they'll happily stick a youngster in a different position to the one they normally play in, so that they can mirror how the First Team play. That fits with the general strategy of putting kids under pressure & taking them out of their comfort zone.
Under Del Geary, the U18s have generally set up as four at the back. I feel at U18, it's more about what is needed for player development.
It's ages since I went to a Q&A with Travis, but he basically confirmed what I say.
An example would be Ben Whiteman. He got some games at First Team as a midfield player. But, he'd often played in a back three at U23. Sam Graham is/was a big unit Centre Back. But, they went through a period of using him as a wing back at U23.
We'll have to wait & see what Jack Lester's strategy is.

My by eye assessment is/was....
In recent years, under Dungworth & Binnion, the U23s have generally set up as three at the back & similar to the First Team. Interestingly, if they've been a bit short of personnel, they'll happily stick a youngster in a different position to the one they normally play in, so that they can mirror how the First Team play. That fits with the general strategy of putting kids under pressure & taking them out of their comfort zone.
Under Del Geary, the U18s have generally set up as four at the back. I feel at U18, it's more about what is needed for player development.
It's ages since I went to a Q&A with Travis, but he basically confirmed what I say.
An example would be Ben Whiteman. He got some games at First Team as a midfield player. But, he'd often played in a back three at U23. Sam Graham is/was a big unit Centre Back. But, they went through a period of using him as a wing back at U23.
We'll have to wait & see what Jack Lester's strategy is.
Phil, will it be up to Jack Lester? Will it generally come from wilder/knill in how they set up and for Lester to put his own personal stamp on it?

Phil, will it be up to Jack Lester? Will it generally come from wilder/knill in how they set up and for Lester to put his own personal stamp on it?
I don't know. But, my guess would be that Wilder/Knill would not be involved in such detail. Knill occasionally turns up at U23 games. And sits in the stand, out of the way. I have virtually never seen Wilder at U23 at Stocksbridge. I know the Cult Of Wilder requires us to think he makes every decision at the club and is infallible. But, my guess is that it is not quite like that.
It would seem mad to me if Jack Lester was running things over in his football mind & going "oooohhhh better not do that because .... Wilder".

But, that's all guesswork. Like I say, and you question, we'll have to wait & see under the new regime

Back
Top Bottom