A week is a long time in football.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Ok just over a week but the footballing lives of 4 young men have changed beyond recognition.

From the shadows at Old Trafford Wilson is right in the spotlight at a big club with proper fans. He's played in front of a passionate crowd that watches the game and knows more about footnall than Prosecco. Played in a steel City Derby, scored in an away game far away in East Anglia in front of hundreds of those committed, fanatical Blades fans and has spent a week working with an English manager and coaches. Men who know the language of football, eat drink and sleep the game, don't play to tbe cameras but do worry more about the group than their own egos. Improving their team is not just about throwing millions at it. Fight with other managers face to face not in thr press.

Wilson is in wonderland where the group and the club and the fans are totally United. Already he will be playing for a contract I reckon.

Leonard and Evans are pinching themselves. They've never met anybody like Wilder, never known a united set of fans in synch with the club manager like this. They must be itching to get on and play and take their big career opportunities. They look around and see quality coupled with commitment everywhere in the squad. They looked at the quality on the bench yesterday and thought 'this is serious'.

Holmes knows Wilder well. He knows the team will revolve around him. He is that bit older and knows it's the opportunity to lift his career and define himself as a Premier League player of quality, not just a lower league player known just by local populations in Northampton and South London.

While these lads have adrenalin pumping through their veins, other players wonder where they fit in. What they all know is that they have to work even harder to play a part. That's football, some will go all the way onwards and upwards, some will come and go but nevertheless play their parts.

This surge by United is built on solid foundations, as strong as any I have seen since the 50's. Wilder is emulating his old manager Bassett and might well surpass his achievements. I would not bet against it and would not wish to!

We have ticked all the boxes us as fans wanted pace up top Brooks/Donaldson/Holmes / Baldock. Players like Stevens and Clarke are no slouches.

Hopefully Holmes can deliver set plays and Leonard has a long throw.

We have a lot of competition in our squad. Yes the left side needs more but we are okay until the summer.

In the summer I believe a lot of frindge players will go. We will beef up the left side. Then add 2/3 Quality players to the team.

Ok just over a week but the footballing lives of 4 young men have changed beyond recognition.

From the shadows at Old Trafford Wilson is right in the spotlight at a big club with proper fans. He's played in front of a passionate crowd that watches the game and knows more about footnall than Prosecco. Played in a steel City Derby, scored in an away game far away in East Anglia in front of hundreds of those committed, fanatical Blades fans and has spent a week working with an English manager and coaches. Men who know the language of football, eat drink and sleep the game, don't play to tbe cameras but do worry more about the group than their own egos. Improving their team is not just about throwing millions at it. Fight with other managers face to face not in thr press.

Wilson is in wonderland where the group and the club and the fans are totally United. Already he will be playing for a contract I reckon.

Leonard and Evans are pinching themselves. They've never met anybody like Wilder, never known a united set of fans in synch with the club manager like this. They must be itching to get on and play and take their big career opportunities. They look around and see quality coupled with commitment everywhere in the squad. They looked at the quality on the bench yesterday and thought 'this is serious'.

Holmes knows Wilder well. He knows the team will revolve around him. He is that bit older and knows it's the opportunity to lift his career and define himself as a Premier League player of quality, not just a lower league player known just by local populations in Northampton and South London.

While these lads have adrenalin pumping through their veins, other players wonder where they fit in. What they all know is that they have to work even harder to play a part. That's football, some will go all the way onwards and upwards, some will come and go but nevertheless play their parts.

This surge by United is built on solid foundations, as strong as any I have seen since the 50's. Wilder is emulating his old manager Bassett and might well surpass his achievements. I would not bet against it and would not wish to!

I got the horn reading that.

Rousing stuff Woodwardfan. The season starts now, we've had our blip and we're still in the mix. Home & away lets try and get the allocations sold out, everyone behind the team. We've waited 6 yrs for this, in all honestly probably more like 10 yrs. The next game is the most important, then the next, etc. We've now got a depth to the squad that will allow us to shuffle the pack against Preston, but still put out a cracking 11, capable of winning, after that then it's Villa. They've sold out their allocation, the club needs to get as many of ours sold as we can & then give the rest away if needs be, not an empty seat in the stadium, lets make sure we get BDTBL rocking. UTB.

Rousing stuff Woodwardfan. The season starts now, we've had our blip and we're still in the mix. Home & away lets try and get the allocations sold out, everyone behind the team. We've waited 6 yrs for this, in all honestly probably more like 10 yrs. The next game is the most important, then the next, etc. We've now got a depth to the squad that will allow us to shuffle the pack against Preston, but still put out a cracking 11, capable of winning, after that then it's Villa. They've sold out their allocation, the club needs to get as many of ours sold as we can & then give the rest away if needs be, not an empty seat in the stadium, lets make sure we get BDTBL rocking. UTB.
more like 40

Great stuff in the OP.

One swallow doesn't make a Spring and all that, but I'm feeling pretty damned chipper this morning.

• Banned
Good post Woodwardfan , I always admire your optimism and passion even if at times I have found some of it misplaced.

It's what I call 'support'. Too easy to vent anger when disappointed. So hard to be supportive when the lads are struggling.

Right now it's easy to support this manager and to revel in the possibilities in store for us.

Mind you, do you remember my criticisms of Clough and Adkins once they had settled into the job. No blind passion for men not up to the task.

Wilder was one of my heroes as a player. As a manager he has made a very good start for us. Everything he does and says is sound and shows he understands how to build a squad. Vitally he knows how to judge a player and how to find him.

I'd be amazed if we do not get better and better over the next couple of years.

It's what I call 'support'. Too easy to vent anger when disappointed. So hard to be supportive when the lads are struggling.

Right now it's easy to support this manager and to revel in the possibilities in store for us.

Mind you, do you remember my criticisms of Clough and Adkins once they had settled into the job. No blind passion for men not up to the task.

Wilder was one of my heroes as a player. As a manager he has made a very good start for us. Everything he does and says is sound and shows he understands how to build a squad. Vitally he knows how to judge a player and how to find him.

I'd be amazed if we do not get better and better over the next couple of years.

I agree, I just hope that this new breed of Blades under Wilder doesn’t bite us in the arse as we’ve come to expect.

A lot won’t agree but I’d still take mid table as a great achievement this season overall, however from the way we have performed we would all rightly be disappointed with anything worse than top 6.

I agree, I just hope that this new breed of Blades under Wilder doesn’t bite us in the arse as we’ve come to expect.

A lot won’t agree but I’d still take mid table as a great achievement this season overall, however from the way we have performed we would all rightly be disappointed with anything worse than top 6.

The big boys are building momentum. Plus Brentford up there all of a sudden. Not easy but the Villa game will tell us a lot.

Personally I think we'll murder them.

Bang on the money. I’ve tried re-reading that with objectivity, as most of your posts have a dusting of optimism sprinkled all over them but looking at it through both my red and white tinted spectacles, and also with my knockers cap on, and I’ve come to the same conclusion.

What you are alluding to is the same thing that the Gruntlets alluded to at the start of the season. PASHUN. It came to the cost of the Gruntlets, and is the same thing thst has pushed us on this season, and is getting the absolute maximum out the set of players we have.

Long may it last.

The big boys are building momentum. Plus Brentford up there all of a sudden. Not easy but the Villa game will tell us a lot.

Personally I think we'll murder them.
Like ourselves villa like to start quickly and on the front foot, as shown against ourselves and dingles, first 10 mins could be a bit chaotic!

Great stuff Woody. However, Tufty’s football philosophy is chalk and cheese with that of Bassett.

Agree and when I said 'emulate' I was referring to the building of a squad, unity and lasting success, not playing philosophy and style of play. However the hard nosed ruthlessness is there as well as the total commitment by the man and his squad. Both have that rare ability to be 'one of the lads' and yet ' the gaffer' as well.

Warnock and Bassett rightly deserve their places in Blades history. Wilders achievements so far, in my opinion, eclipse both - based on the squad he inherited, the budget he worked with, the speed of the changes he brought, the quality of the football he introduced and the success he has brought in such a short time. I loved Bassett, and the passion he instilled into his players. Warnock's Blades fan background transferred to his players and he deserves to be applauded in equal measure. It remains to be seen whether Chris Wilder can get us back to the Prem, but I hold him with higher esteem now. I always felt Harry Bassett got lucky with Deane and Agana, because for certain we would not have been the same without either of them. I could never really understand Neil Warnock's team selections away from home in the Prem, and felt he was far too cautious.
As for luck - I think Chris Wilder believes you have to work your socks off to make your own.
A week certainly is a long time in football - many Blades fans had written us off and were predicting mid-table finish before the Norwich game; now they're talking again about top 6 minimum. Normal service has been resumed. Sit back guys; chill out and enjoy the ride!

Warnock and Bassett rightly deserve their places in Blades history. Wilders achievements so far, in my opinion, eclipse both - based on the squad he inherited, the budget he worked with, the speed of the changes he brought, the quality of the football he introduced and the success he has brought in such a short time. I loved Bassett, and the passion he instilled into his players. Warnock's Blades fan background transferred to his players and he deserves to be applauded in equal measure. It remains to be seen whether Chris Wilder can get us back to the Prem, but I hold him with higher esteem now. I always felt Harry Bassett got lucky with Deane and Agana, because for certain we would not have been the same without either of them. I could never really understand Neil Warnock's team selections away from home in the Prem, and felt he was far too cautious.
As for luck - I think Chris Wilder believes you have to work your socks off to make your own.
A week certainly is a long time in football - many Blades fans had written us off and were predicting mid-table finish before the Norwich game; now they're talking again about top 6 minimum. Normal service has been resumed. Sit back guys; chill out and enjoy the ride!

I don't think there was any luck involved in the signings of Deane and Agana at all. He already knew Agana from Watford and obviously knew there was a good player there, even if no one at Watford did.

In Deane's case, Bassett had gone to look at another Donny player (can't remember who it was now) but it was Deane that caught his eye. He talked to their manager, Dave Cusack, at the time about him who confirmed he'd got potential. Apparently when he joined the Blades, Bassett and his staff worked on 'toughening him up' because he was quiet, shy and used to apologise if he so much as knocked anyone over.

I don't think that's luck, that's called development.

I agree with LYDON , Wilder has some way to go before he surpasses Bassett's achievements for this club. I honestly think he could though.

Wilder has some way to go before he surpasses Bassett's achievements for this club. I honestly think he could though.

Every manager we've had since, I've (we've) always wanted the next manager to surpass what Bassett did.
It won't be a promotion to the BIG table, it'll be keeping us there...
Warnock tried and failed...
Maybe Chris Wilder will and succeed... for all of us.

Every manager we've had since, I've (we've) always wanted the next manager to surpass what Bassett did.
It won't be a promotion to the BIG table, it'll be keeping us there...
Warnock tried and failed...
Maybe Chris Wilder will and succeed... for all of us.

And before the 'Dinosaur Dave' contingent arrive, it must be remembered that he did it with basically fuck all investment, at a time when the Chairman's office had a revolving door!

I don't think there was any luck involved in the signings of Deane and Agana at all. He already knew Agana from Watford and obviously knew there was a good player there, even if no one at Watford did.

In Deane's case, Bassett had gone to look at another Donny player (can't remember who it was now) but it was Deane that caught his eye. He talked to their manager, Dave Cusack, at the time about him who confirmed he'd got potential. Apparently when he joined the Blades, Bassett and his staff worked on 'toughening him up' because he was quiet, shy and used to apologise if he so much as knocked anyone over.

I don't think that's luck, that's called development.

The point I was making was not related to the signing or the development of Deane and Agana; it was that he was fortunate they were able to maintain that stunning partnership because they weren't hit by injuries. I said we would not have been the same team without either of them. After Coutts got injured at Burton I feared we'd drop off the pace and end up outside the top 6. Many fans on here thought the loss wouldn't be as dramatic as it proved to be. That was serious bad luck.
A mate of mine (Owls fan - sorry) back when Ched was scoring for fun said we were home and dry for sure. I told him that Ched was in court next Monday and if he got sent down we wouldn't win another game. He did - we didn't; you know the rest - serious bad luck.
Chris Wilder hasn't been lucky - the loss of Coutts was a serious blow, but he's taken steps to get over it. I get the feeling with this Manager he's a bit of a miracle worker. I didn't get that with Dave Bassett or Neil Warnock. Just my opinion, but CW is already ahead of them for me

The point I was making was not related to the signing or the development of Deane and Agana; it was that he was fortunate they were able to maintain that stunning partnership because they weren't hit by injuries. I said we would not have been the same team without either of them. After Coutts got injured at Burton I feared we'd drop off the pace and end up outside the top 6. Many fans on here thought the loss wouldn't be as dramatic as it proved to be. That was serious bad luck.
A mate of mine (Owls fan - sorry) back when Ched was scoring for fun said we were home and dry for sure. I told him that Ched was in court next Monday and if he got sent down we wouldn't win another game. He did - we didn't; you know the rest - serious bad luck.
Chris Wilder hasn't been lucky - the loss of Coutts was a serious blow, but he's taken steps to get over it. I get the feeling with this Manager he's a bit of a miracle worker. I didn't get that with Dave Bassett or Neil Warnock. Just my opinion, but CW is already ahead of them for me

Tony struggled with injuries after his 24 goals in the D3 promotion season.

Really?

Ask anyone what state the club was in, in 1987 when DB took over. Shit team, fuck all money, gates of less than 10,000 and yet two seasons later we were in the First Division (Premier League for those of you who think that competitive football began in 1992). That was a fucking miracle.

Lucky? Maybe, but Webster broke his leg and had to be replaced by another soon to be Blades legend....

Really?

Ask anyone what state the club was in, in 1987 when DB took over. Shit team, fuck all money, gates of less than 10,000 and yet two seasons later we were in the First Division (Premier League for those of you who think that competitive football began in 1992). That was a fucking miracle.

Lucky? Maybe, but Webster broke his leg and had to be replaced by another soon to be Blades legend....

There were plenty of astute buys for little money. Enough imo to ward off the"lucky" tag.

Back
Top Bottom