A video from 1988

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Booker4

Reaction score

No doubt many of our fans will have seen this either at the time or on the SUFC history Chanel that someone has kindly set up on you tube (not me by the way!) but I have never seen this particular video from the third division promotion season. Its a bit like the UNITED documentary a year later, but this one is done internally. Highlights for me included Bob Booker signing, trips away to Mansfield on the coach with the players and also various instances of a very young Chris Wilder! A very young French on there too and Dave kilner sadly no longer with us of course, presenting the video and featuring a double bed in the chairmans office! Anyone know if that's still there!? Steak and Veg (Reg Brealey) is on of course and the prospect of a membership scheme seems to be causing concern at the time!

Whenever I watch highlights of this time it always strikes me how good Roberts looks, but then we sold him to Lincoln when we got promoted, and Bassett in the 25th anniversary dinner last year said "he (Roberts) wanted to go so we fucked him off to Lincoln"! That drew many laughter but I'm surprised that Roberts wanted to go, since he was with United and had just got promoted and then decided to join the Mighty Lincoln?! I started supporting us the season after, aged 10, so I missed out on Roberts, Pike, Benstead (on the bench), Thompson, Joseph, Brian Smith, Andy Barnsley and co. Webster didn't play much either.

Last edited:

does this finally show who dave kilner supports

Why was he supposed to support someone else?! I assumed he was a Blade through and through? Just realised I had written it down as presented by Andy Dakin! Pleased I was able to edit that!

I went to Rowlinson school with Andy Daykin
then met him on my honeymoon in Mallorca where he was becoming a holiday rep

I went to Rowlinson school with Andy Daykin
then met him on my honeymoon in Mallorca where he was becoming a holiday rep

Its sad he went to Wednesday, but there you go. Once a Blade.....

No doubt many of our fans will have seen this either at the time or on the SUFC history Chanel that someone has kindly set up on you tube (not me by the way!) but I have never seen this particular video from the third division promotion season. Its a bit like the UNITED documentary a year later, but this one is done internally. Highlights for me included Bob Booker signing, trips away to Mansfield on the coach with the players and also various instances of a very young Chris Wilder! A very young French on there too and Dave kilner sadly no longer with us of course, presenting the video and featuring a double bed in the chairmans office! Anyone know if that's still there!? Steak and Veg (Reg Brealey) is on of course and the prospect of a membership scheme seems to be causing concern at the time!

Whenever I watch highlights of this time it always strikes me how good Roberts looks, but then we sold him to Lincoln when we got promoted, and Bassett in the 25th anniversary dinner last year said "he (Roberts) wanted to go so we fucked him off to Lincoln"! That drew many laughter but I'm surprised that Roberts wanted to go, since he was with United and had just got promoted and then decided to join the Mighty Lincoln?! I started supporting us the season after, aged 10, so I missed out on Roberts, Pike, Benstead (on the bench), Thompson, Joseph, Brian Smith, Andy Barnsley and co. Webster didn't play much either.

Roberts didnt like the style of play and fell out with DB.

Websters best game was the 2-0 win at Oldham when we ended the unbeaten record on the plastic pitch. Don't think Joe Royle has ever gotten over it.

Was told Roberts had drinking problems

Real long shot here but does anyone know what happened to Roberts after he finished playing? All I know is that he got a career ending injury at Lincoln. Just wondering did he get into coaching etc.

Real long shot here but does anyone know what happened to Roberts after he finished playing? All I know is that he got a career ending injury at Lincoln. Just wondering did he get into coaching etc.
No idea

does this finally show who dave kilner supports

No finally about it. He made his allegiances very very clear. Unlike the ridiculous posturing of the recent and present day local radio hacks who seem to think they are of sufficiently celebrity such that they have to conceal their support for a particular club. In so doing the fucking morons continually insult our intelligence.

For those who remain unsure the obnoxious Paul Walker is a Blade. So is Seth Bennett, who is OK. So is Mr. Praise and Grumble, Robert Jackson. Staton is a Pig.

supported ,he died about 6 years ago

Aye, sad that.

I remember a home game against QPR on February 29th 1992. It was a tedious 0-0 draw, but I remember it because on that day the tradition is that a woman can ask a man to marry her. At half time some lass appeared on the pitch with Kilner and they dragged her boyfriend out of the crowd so she could propose to him. The bloke was obviously mortified, he ummed and erred and eventually Kilner nudged him and said "Go on then!" and the bloke mumbled "Yes, I suppose so" and Kilner shouted into his microphone "What about that then!"

Thanks for doing this, a great look back.

No finally about it. He made his allegiances very very clear. Unlike the ridiculous posturing of the recent and present day local radio hacks who seem to think they are of sufficiently celebrity such that they have to conceal their support for a particular club. In so doing the fucking morons continually insult our intelligence.

For those who remain unsure the obnoxious Paul Walker is a Blade. So is Seth Bennett, who is OK. So is Mr. Praise and Grumble, Robert Jackson. Staton is a Pig.

Never any doubt Kilner was a Blade. He and Joe Elliott sponsored players for many years.

Thanks for doing this, a great look back.

The SUFC history Chanel on you tube is a great place for loads of United videos. Not sure who has done it but full praise to that person, it saves me having to convert my videos onto DVD and I haven't got all of the ones he has, namely this video and the 100 years and 100 goals.

I wish we had Darrell Bentley back. What a true legend of commentators that man is! Even my mate who's a Pig thinks he's heroic! In an age now where commentary quality is generally decent, bit often waffle, you never get bored to hear him say !ITS THERE"! I wish he could be added to the Radio Sheffield commentary team, although he's probably about 70 by now. Can you imagine it! Keith Edwards with Darrell Bentley:

"Moore has possession, he takes the ball out of his box now and walks slightly up the pitch before hitting long. Of course he can kick the ball further up the pitch by doing (that was actually said by the way, although not sure by Bentley, its on the 100 years video), Clarke flicks onto Duffy, now running at his full back (Bentley's pace and excitement is now building, he usually gets faster in his commentary at this point a bit like a horse race!), Duffy to Billy Sharp, who crosses for Clarke AND ITS THERE, THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL GOAL BY SHEFFIELD"!

He interviewed me live on Radio Hallam outside Old Trafford at the Arse Semi-Final. Not just me, of course. He was doing vox-pop.

Smashing bloke and Blade.

What did you say when he interviewed you?

"I'm embarrassed to have to come here watching this shameful, route one hoofball team.
I've only just got over the misery of seeing United narrowly defeated by Liverpool in the League Cup Semi and now this.
Knowing my luck I'll have to endure a thrilling Play-Off Semi victory and another bloody Final in May.
I just wish 'Ol Big Nose would get the sack so we don't have to suffer this sort of torture any more"

Presumably?

Always liked Paul walker and as others have said he is a Blade. I met him and Seth Bennett in Pop Tarts I think it was called at Sheffield City Hall about 12 years ago and I got speaking to him and Seth and they both were really friendly. He said he was a Blade then too. Rob Staton's definitely a Pig as you said Pinchy, I know someone who went to school with him who confirmed that. Andy Giddings is a Halifax Town fan, but never seems to mention that, funnily enough! I met him by fluke two weeks ago on the way back from Gillingham in a petrol staton, Got talking to him and he seemed really happy to talk and was very friendly. Just gave Keith the thumbs up as I walked past the Radio Sheffield car, who did vice versa. That made my day but maybe that says more about me!

The SUFC history Chanel on you tube is a great place for loads of United videos. Not sure who has done it but full praise to that person, it saves me having to convert my videos onto DVD and I haven't got all of the ones he has, namely this video and the 100 years and 100 goals.

I wish we had Darrell Bentley back. What a true legend of commentators that man is! Even my mate who's a Pig thinks he's heroic! In an age now where commentary quality is generally decent, bit often waffle, you never get bored to hear him say !ITS THERE"! I wish he could be added to the Radio Sheffield commentary team, although he's probably about 70 by now. Can you imagine it! Keith Edwards with Darrell Bentley:

"Moore has possession, he takes the ball out of his box now and walks slightly up the pitch before hitting long. Of course he can kick the ball further up the pitch by doing (that was actually said by the way, although not sure by Bentley, its on the 100 years video), Clarke flicks onto Duffy, now running at his full back (Bentley's pace and excitement is now building, he usually gets faster in his commentary at this point a bit like a horse race!), Duffy to Billy Sharp, who crosses for Clarke AND ITS THERE, THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL GOAL BY SHEFFIELD"!

I wish I had a recording of Hacker Biggs commentary on Crewe v Doncaster late last season. It was beyond doubt the worst I've ever heard. Truly, a thing of ugly. So grotesque it was compulsive listening. It was the radio equivalent of Tommy Wiseau's Classic "The Room".

What did you say when he interviewed you?

"I'm embarrassed to have to come here watching this shameful, route one hoofball team.
I've only just got over the misery of seeing United narrowly defeated by Liverpool in the League Cup Semi and now this.
Knowing my luck I'll have to endure a thrilling Play-Off Semi victory and another bloody Final in May.
I just wish 'Ol Big Nose would get the sack so we don't have to suffer this sort of torture any more"

Presumably?

One of our number was dressed as an old-time preacher and we had a couple of nuns as well. I explained that we had called at the Piggery on our way to Manchester and performed an exorcism to drive out evil spirits (as indeed we had outside the Leppings Lane entrance). I told him that all Pigs and Arse fans should repent and follow the true faith. There wasn't time to say much else. We had a service to conduct at OT....

Back
Top Bottom