A thank you to Chris Basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BiggerBladeThanThou

Reaction score
As he approaches his 300th game for The Blades I want to doff my cap to this lad for the most surprising and pleasing of all upward trajectories we've experienced over the last 5 years.

In all honesty, when he first started with us I felt like he ran with the ball with all the fervour and ability of a newly born foal. But, as the seasons went on he quickly became my player of the season, every season. Mr consistent we call him but the Geordie lad is my Mr Sheffield United. He really has summed up what the fans expect from every player in the squad as a minimum and has excelled in the premier League only to be let down this season by his team mates.

Here's to you Bashambauer. Happy new year.

Given the only other Blade I've ever stood alongside whilst having a slash is Derek Dooley, the statue of Basham Arriving is a given.

The word "Legend" is bandied around far too easily these days, but Chris is the genuine article.

As he approaches his 300th game for The Blades I want to doff my cap to this lad for the most surprising and pleasing of all upward trajectories we've experienced over the last 5 years.

In all honesty, when he first started with us I felt like he ran with the ball with all the fervour and ability of a newly born foal. But, as the seasons went on he quickly became my player of the season, every season. Mr consistent we call him but the Geordie lad is my Mr Sheffield United. He really has summed up what the fans expect from every player in the squad as a minimum and has excelled in the premier League only to be let down this season by his team mates.

3 cheers to that bigger blade.
He has the heart of a Lyon fit as a fiddle and improves year on year.
5 years younger and he would be worth upwards of 50 million in the market today that's how much I rate him.
Wilder and most blades i'me sure would agree

I remember one of Basham's first games v Rochdale. He was subbed off and was wearing cycle shorts which made him look even lanky! He was just awful and I cheered when he was subbed off! Embarrassed to say that now!

6 years on, or whatever it is, and he's our best player and has been for both seasons in the Prem. He's a legend and shows no signs of fading out. Currently I'd play him in midfield on the right obviously, and let Ampadu play in Bash's position. We need that drive from Bash more often and he'll get that chance in midfield.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Saw him in a pre-season friendly when he first signed and he looked poppo. All over the shop. All the way through the first few seasons he looked makeweight and a 'he'll fill a shirt' signing as we struggled to find a place for him.

Then I happened to be at the Lane for this game

And suddenly I was converted. Playing from the right wing in a four man midfield, drifts in on a far post cross to score and then shows that classic 'where's he fucking going?' Bashamesque deftness to skin opposition defenders, cross and set Billy up to smash it past the keeper. I was well impressed.

He's still consistently delivering to this day, very much a man way below his worth in a team full of multi million pound acquisitions, most, if not all are fucking worthless at this moment.

And in defence, he's rock solid - one mistake last season v Leicester (and he knew it) but in midfield, he is quality, as seen two seasons ago to score possibly one of the most iconic goals of the last decade at Bellend Road.

Let's not fuck about, eh? We laud Edwards, Whitehouse, Currie, Fagan, Woodward, Foulke, Deane, Booker, Brown and Morgan. Let's never leave Chris Basham out of that list. If you were to ask me to pick a 1st XI from the years I have been a Blade, he'd be in it. There's been some good and some bad in that number six shirt but he shades it over Trevor Hockey for me.

pommpey

Great Post. I agree with all the plaudits he's getting, richly deserved!

Watching the Burnley match I did think he is the only one that is shining for both effort and effectiveness. And that is whats so hard this season, the majority of the lads are giving it their all effort wise, but are mostly ineffective.

I can see no real threat to him being player of the season again, only Didzy springs to mind.

The comparisons of Doyle and Basham are excellent. Doyle isn’t fit to lick Bash’s arsehole clean for him.

This gets a 'like' from me, mainly because of it's characteristic bluntness (and truth) but also for the payoff 'clean for him' couplet at the end.

"How man! Ah want it clean, bonny lad! Ah mean CLEAN!"

"Yes Chris. Of course Chris."

"Get fuckkhan lickin'! And divvant stop until ah tell yas!"

pommpey

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Saw him in a pre-season friendly when he first signed and he looked poppo. All over the shop. All the way through the first few seasons he looked makeweight and a 'he'll fill a shirt' signing as we struggled to find a place for him.

Then I happened to be at the Lane for this game

And suddenly I was converted. Playing from the right wing in a four man midfield, drifts in on a far post cross to score and then shows that classic 'where's he fucking going?' Bashamesque deftness to skin opposition defenders, cross and set Billy up to smash it past the keeper. I was well impressed.

He's still consistently delivering to this day, very much a man way below his worth in a team full of multi million pound acquisitions, most, if not all are fucking worthless at this moment.

And in defence, he's rock solid - one mistake last season v Leicester (and he knew it) but in midfield, he is quality, as seen two seasons ago to score possibly one of the most iconic goals of the last decade at Bellend Road.

Let's not fuck about, eh? We laud Edwards, Whitehouse, Currie, Fagan, Woodward, Foulke, Deane, Booker, Brown and Morgan. Let's never leave Chris Basham out of that list. If you were to ask me to pick a 1st XI from the years I have been a Blade, he'd be in it. There's been some good and some bad in that number six shirt but he shades it over Trevor Hockey for me.

pommpey

The shot at 1min 30seconds, love it and made me laugh for the effort not because it missed.

What a moment.

Definition of cult hero, for that goal alone, alongside going from being god awful in League One to being our most consistent player in the Premier League. There are plenty who we remember for all the wrong reasons but he's one we'll remember for the right ones.

Definition of cult hero, for that goal alone, alongside going from being god awful in League One to being our most consistent player in the Premier League. There are plenty who we remember for all the wrong reasons but he's one we'll remember for the right ones.
Definitely mate. Even at his worst you could never question his commitment

A performance that really stood out of his was Chezzie away in 2015/6 he covered the entire right hand side of the pitch. Up down up down, never missed a beat. I was tired watching him. Think he was the right wing back in a 352.

I‘m in agreement with the sentiments of the original post. Lost count of how many times I’ve seen a Blades shirt make a crucial interception or tackle, create opportunities up front or pop up to score and realised that once again it was Basham. Love watching him play, my favourite player by a mile.

And Wilder didn’t sign him , no surprise there :oops:
Reight player Everyone loves Bash ❤️

He is amazing. I know he isn’t a striker or a keeper, but if we had a team of 11 Bash’s we would be mid table at least right now.

A modern day Bob Booker

I remember one of Basham's first games v Rochdale. He was subbed off and was wearing cycle shorts which made him look even lanky! He was just awful and I cheered when he was subbed off! Embarrassed to say that now!

6 years on, or whatever it is, and he's our best player and has been for both seasons in the Prem. He's a legend and shows no signs of fading out. Currently I'd play him in midfield on the right obviously, and let Ampadu play in Bash's position. We need that drive from Bash more often and he'll get that chance in midfield.
I said we’d never get any better with him in the team when we were in League One haha.

To be fair, he was rubbish early on.

Just realised my autocorrect error!

Fagan?

Heh!

pommpey

While everybody around him are actively ruining their SUFC legacy......Bash stands proud.

Back
Top Bottom