A Team of two halves

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Come from away

Reaction score
Sudbury Canada, lake country - 330+ lakes
In general this season the right-hand side of our team is playing the Wilder system, aggressive defence and overload going forward. On the left-hand side we tend to pass backward when we get a chance to open up and fail to mark players on defence. Norwood is at his best when he can switch play, as the opposition defend an overload on one side he quickly sets up an overland on the other side - no longer possible. If he goes left, they pass it back and he has to go right. As a result we are easy to defend against, and our vulnerability on defence is obvious. We do not have the team to play full-on Wilder ball at the moment. Edna is not able to produce JOC performances, and is well below his best.

Perhaps, with these players it is time to switch to a back four and play a straight 4-3-3 with Burke, McBurnie and Moose up front, Fleck Ampadu and Berge in the middle, Egan and Bash at CB and pick your fullbacks on form.

I do not see a solution until we have a replacement for JOC, like Dan Burn (hope Wilder knows who) who can defend and will go forward.

Probably sums up our issues - the entire left side has been decimated

JOC - ❌
Fleck - ❌
Stevens - playing like a shell of himself

hope when fleck comes back and if stevens could find some form - we might look like a functioning side again?

Speaking of 2 halves. I used to look forward to the second half kicking off, i knew we would come out firing. Not quite happening this time.

It's gone full circle. Last season Chelsea away first half we played exactly how we have played all this season , terrified ,lost and toothless .But what they did do, was for the second half came out and played like they had played for the last 3 seasons and went for Chelsea, Enda Stevens was unplayable that second half. Agreed we need to start believing for 90 minutes and get back into this season.
I've always been a big advocate of a teams season can be determined by how the fixtures fall and boy they've fallen in a wrong order this season. From now on we need good first and second half's in every game. UTB .

“Edna is not able to produce JOC performances..”. Not been able to see United this season, but are we really so short that we are playing the tea lady???

Mavis and Phyllis next?

JAKE COOPER
JAKE COOPER
JAKE COOPER
It’s a tempting choice, as he’s been playing (I believe) some sort of similar style at Miwaw, getting forward etc.

I’d imagine he’d be an upgrade on Jack Robinson (who I think has done OK btw) and would hopefully find the transition to Wilderball* easier than most.

*When we play our best, not the crappy imitation wilderball we’ve been playing this season.

At this stage just someone who can head the ball and help defend set pieces then we can start to worry about going forward. While ever we are conceding 2/3 goals a match a centre halves "overlapiness" is almost irrelevant.

Speaking of 2 halves. I used to look forward to the second half kicking off, i knew we would come out firing. Not quite happening this time.

True...it’s as though the lack of a pre-season means the players aren’t super fit anymore.
if we try to play high intensity then we start looking knackered after 60/ 70 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom