A funny old game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Swannyblade

Reaction score
Just off the back of the recent discussions and podcast about the Battle of Bramall Lane; I’m wondering what are the weirdest, wackiest and most unusual Blades games you’ve seen over the years?

I can’t think of too much off the top of my head - the Jags in goal games were fun, I seem to remember a streaker in a Friday night game against Stoke (?) bizarrely and I’m pretty sure it started raining under the kop roof during one game in the relegation season. There’s also been a few crazy games like the Unsworth Hull match when I don’t think Paddy knew which day of the week it was but the atmosphere was frantic.

There must be loads of better examples over the years

The Forest playoff semi-final second leg for me. A tight first leg ended 1-1, Forest took the lead and right from the restart we win a penalty. Step up Michael brown and we’re back in the game. Michael Dawson got sent off too which was a bonus.

Then came the second leg at the Lane...

Blades 0 Scunny 4

We battered them, they had 3 shots on target and it effectively finished Gary Speed.

Utterly bizarre game

We played some great stuff that night and could have easily ended up losing by 5 or 6

The Forest playoff semi-final second leg for me. A tight first leg ended 1-1, Forest took the lead and right from the restart we win a penalty. Step up Michael brown and we’re back in the game. Michael Dawson got sent off too which was a bonus.

Then came the second leg at the Lane...

What a fantastic night one of the best but I can’t help watching that with a tinge of sadness knowing that there was an after the Lord Mayor”s show day awaiting us in Cardiff

clip_image001.gif

Dunno exactly but mid sixties-ish, county cup match, I were thiyer. Where are you Silent Blade ?

Staniforth 2, Tudor 3, Colquhoun 2, Buckley, Fenoughty County Cup S/F 1968/69 attendance 5,148

Blades 1 Portsmouth 0 in 1986 was a strange game.
3 Portsmouth players and Beagrie for Blades sent off. The blades then found it incredibly difficult to break down Portsmouth until a bizarre own goal from Paul Mariner (playing at CB) settled it, after a speculative shot from Wigley hit Mariner and looped off his foot over the keeper.

Just off the back of the recent discussions and podcast about the Battle of Bramall Lane; I’m wondering what are the weirdest, wackiest and most unusual Blades games you’ve seen over the years?

I can’t think of too much off the top of my head - the Jags in goal games were fun, I seem to remember a streaker in a Friday night game against Stoke (?) bizarrely and I’m pretty sure it started raining under the kop roof during one game in the relegation season. There’s also been a few crazy games like the Unsworth Hull match when I don’t think Paddy knew which day of the week it was but the atmosphere was frantic.

There must be loads of better examples over the years

Most bizarre game was when the pigs beat Blackwells Blades 2-3.

3 Portsmouth players and Beagrie for Blades sent off. The blades then found it incredibly difficult to break down Portsmouth until a bizarre own goal from Paul Mariner (playing at CB) settled it, after a speculative shot from Wigley hit Mariner and looped off his foot over the keeper.
There was always something in games against Portsmouth mid-80s - 90 (and beyond if you count decking the linesman).

Remember the one in the Bassett promotion season where they were shot housing with backpasses to the keeper to protect a one-nil lead and somehow gave away 2 penalties to lose it?

What a fantastic night one of the best but I can’t help watching that with a tinge of sadness knowing that there was an after the Lord Mayor”s show day awaiting us in Cardiff

Cardiff was still a good day out. Ok, by half time it was shit and all but over but what a season we had.

The game where we played brentford at home in league 1, when Danny wilson had just bèen sacked, I think.

Had we won we were still in with a shout of automatic promotion.

We ultimately lost after somehow getting back into it against the run of play.

The referee that night was totally overwhelmed by the big game atmosphere as I recall, totally lost it. Most bizarre display I can remember from a ref in such a crucial match...

We played some great stuff that night and could have easily ended up losing by 5 or 6
was a very strange game - hatrick for Forte if I remember correctly, which made it doubly strange.

3-2 defeat to Oldham at the lane the season after was also a bit crackers, Lowton and Harry sent off from 2-0 up.

Semi versus Forest was another.

TBH the defeat to Walsall that sent us down to divisional 4 was a pretty wacky event in many ways

Strange, I always thought it was a header by Mariner???

was a very strange game - hatrick for Forte if I remember correctly, which made it doubly strange.

3-2 defeat to Oldham at the lane the season after was also a bit crackers, Lowton and Harry sent off from 2-0 up.

Semi versus Forest was another.

TBH the defeat to Walsall that sent us down to divisional 4 was a pretty wacky event in many ways

Remember Forte going clean through and missing a one on one too.

The Exeter game where Long dropped a clanger or two stands out as well. 4-4 or 5-5 I think.

Beating Port Vale 4-0 and having four chalked off as well?
that was such an enjoyable match.

After the dross we'd been served up in the previous years, we totally tore them apart and it was clear we were going to be contenders.

That result took us to the heady heights of 5th in league 1, only 7 points adrift of Scunthorpe.

that was such an enjoyable match.

After the dross we'd been served up in the previous years, we totally tore them apart and it was clear we were going to be contenders.

That result took us to the heady heights of 5th in league 1, only 7 points adrift of Scunthorpe.
Arsenal in the cup which was played again. Went to both. My dad took us out of school early so we could go down for the night game.

Back
Top Bottom