90's Austrian Sponsorship?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Crafty Blade

Like a gallon of DIPA
Reaction score
I recently acquired this classic 1990-92 (ish?) Blades track top, which I'm sure a lot of you will agree, is absolutely beautiful.

However, this particular one has some very obscure sponsorship on it, relating to a tiny village called Huben, within the Otztal Valley region of Austria. Bizarre.

I've done some research and F.F. Huben possibly stands for Freiwillige Feuerwehr Huben, a voluntary fire brigade. Joh. Frischmann is a painting and decorating company, also based in Huben.

Can anyone shed any light on the connection between this tiny Austrian village and the Blades?

20200331_131243.jpg20200331_131234.jpg20200331_131254.jpg

This is exactly the sort of bizarre mystery I love to read about. No stone should be left unturned. Did we go on tour there in that period maybe and had special local sponsorship for it?

This is exactly the sort of bizarre mystery I love to read about. No stone should be left unturned. Did we go on tour there in that period maybe and had special local sponsorship for it?

I wondered that, and have had a look through my Complete Record book, and we do not appear to have gone on any pre-season tours in Austria during that period. We played pre-season in Scandinavia in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Did we have any Austrian players during that time? 🤔

I had the full tracksuit. Bought from Sugg’s Sports on Castle Street in 1992 along with a pair of Lotto boots.

As for the sponsorship I would guess it’s surplus stock that an Austrian amateur side got their hands on. I acquired a 1990 home shirt a while a go that was part of a full set of kit donated by Harry Bassett to a Sunday league side.

I had the full tracksuit. Bought from Sugg’s Sports on Castle Street in 1992 along with a pair of Lotto boots.

As for the sponsorship I would guess it’s surplus stock that an Austrian amateur side got their hands on. I acquired a 1990 home shirt a while a go that was part of a full set of kit donated by Harry Bassett to a Sunday league side.

I think this is the most likely explanation, in absence of any other evidence. If so maybe others have got a track top like this?

Adidas knocked out some absolute stunners in the 90's. Got a Germany top from around that time.

Where did you get yours from? A random internet purchase? Do you have any other information about the top?

But looks like the theory of surplus stock being picked up by amateur sides is correct. Passau is close to the Austrian border so obviously a load of track tops somehow made their way over there!

Where did you get yours from? A random internet purchase? Do you have any other information about the top?

But looks like the theory of surplus stock being picked up by amateur sides is correct. Passau is close to the Austrian border so obviously a load of track tops somehow made their way over there!

Picked it up a few months ago from from a market in Milan

Crooked that brings back some memories, for a long time Suggs was the only 'proper'sports shop in town, loved the place. Now it's all sportsditect, decathlon and other monstrosities !

Crooked that brings back some memories, for a long time Suggs was the only 'proper'sports shop in town, loved the place. Now it's all sportsditect, decathlon and other monstrosities !

Even had a full range of Subbuteo teams and equipment. I’d take that over Mike Ashley’s tat and pint mugs any day.

How does stuff like this happen?!

All i ever find in foreign markets are flea ridden rugs and russian dolls :confused:

Milan market is decent, I'm there once every couple of months usually and always check. but yeah usually just shite everywhere else

Back
Top Bottom