60 years ago this month...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I seem to remember a young goalie called Briggs played in goal for man utd and had a stinker! Cost them a few goals
See my post just before yours. I had completely forgotten him; I assume I knew at the time, but it came as news to me today when I came across the story. Imagine how the poor lad would have suffered if social media had been around...

I seem to remember a young goalie called Briggs played in goal for man utd and had a stinker! Cost them a few goals
yeah seem to remember that think he cost em 4 goals mind wednesday had a good side then and man utd were still rebuilding after munich looking forward to the next 3 months on this excellent thread big season for the blades in the league and the cup

A number of everton players including Roy Vernon formed a kinder guard of honour for Hodgy as he left the field he had a fantastic game
I have forgotten that detail. I think Hodgy was respected and liked wherever he played. For me, he played football as it should be played- give of your best, and respect the skills of team-mates and opponents. And never forget football is meant to entertain. Do you have any other memories of that day?

FA Cup 4th Round
Jan 28, 1961: United 3-1 Lincoln
Attendance: 21651

Anyone reading this who wasn’t around in the 50s and 60s (and I doubt many such people read this thread!) would find it difficult to understand that this was a big day. The 4th Round Cup-tie v Plymouth a few days ago would have attracted a low crowd if crowds had been allowed in, but the unattractive fixture v Lincoln 60 years ago attracted the biggest home crowd up to that point in the season except for the Xmas match against Sunderland. The crowd of 21651 was not big by Cup standards of the day, but was impressive in view of the fact that Wednesday at the same time were playing ManU in front of 58000 people at Hillsborough. It was tough supporting United at a time when Wednesday were genuinely a big club, and it still makes me shudder to recall that after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough, Wednesday won the replay at Old Trafford 7-2. We consoled ourselves with the thought that we played the better football, but there was a serious concern that Wednesday were establishing themselves as a successful club.
That was a worry for another day, however. For the moment we had a promotion push and a Cup run progressing nicely, and as the programme notes say, there was no reason to think that the successes in each competition would not help momentum in the other. Lincoln were not strong opposition, and United navigated this game without undue difficulty. Hodgy, in his autobiography, says that from his point of view, it was one of the quietist matches of his career. Lincoln had 2 former United players who had not established themselves at the Lane: Denis Gratton at centre-half, and Jeff Smith at left-back. A lovely irony about this was that he was marking Cliff Mason, a reserve left-back playing as an emergency winger; Jeff Smith’s only league game for United was at Liverpool, where previous manager Joe Mercer decided to play 2 left-backs (Graham Shaw and Jeff Smith) on either wing. That experiment failed totally, but John Harris’s experiment with Mason turned out well - yet again Mason scored in this convincing win. A third, better-known ex-Blade, Derek Hawksworth, had recently moved on to Bradford.
The scrapbook records the event quite well. For the Cup games, there were always pictures of players in the build-up (in this case Richardson knitting - don’t ask! - and Coldwell taking his medicine, probably not the same one taken by Paddy Kenny in later years). The report makes clear Utd’s dominance, with positive comments on both defence and attack. And enough photos to bring it to life, with both teams playing in changed kit (Utd in red); strangely, Gratton and Smith seem to keep cropping up in them.
So, it was on to Round 5 in February. Wednesday were still in the draw, and this was our 4th year in a row in at least the 5th Round; remarkably, this record continued for a further 3 years.
I also include an item from the programme about the Juniors, which includes info on some familiar players (they lost the game v Wednesday 5-0 😡); and the scoreboard, which includes Luton 2-6 Man City. It has a letter A next to it. The match was abandoned after 69 minutes, and Denis Law had scored all 6 goals. His goals were wiped from the record-books. In the replayed game he scored again, but they lost 3-1; he always claimed to be the only player to have scored 7 goals in a cup-tie and ended up on the losing side!
AADB0D03-970A-47A3-BF37-CA86AB47BBA8.jpegD6F3EED3-7B86-4B26-B08F-4D13F63B520F.jpegDB33044A-28A0-45AF-90B3-48AA88508861.jpeg33EC82DB-EB0E-48FA-87C3-B79D2DD894DD.jpegD1E999B2-0368-4765-99AB-B99DE088563D.jpeg84B75E0D-36AC-4B1C-961E-E17A52C5823A.jpeg0EDBD156-9787-4E99-8B4F-22ED3CEA1C4E.jpeg59687F7A-6425-4640-9B5D-B52D8C0F41C1.jpeg

FA Cup 4th Round

Anyone reading this who wasn’t around in the 50s and 60s (and I doubt many such people read this thread!) would find it difficult to understand that this was a big day. The 4th Round Cup-tie v Plymouth a few days ago would have attracted a low crowd if crowds had been allowed in, but the unattractive fixture v Lincoln 60 years ago attracted the biggest home crowd up to that point in the season except for the Xmas match against Sunderland. The crowd of 21651 was not big by Cup standards of the day, but was impressive in view of the fact that Wednesday at the same time were playing ManU in front of 58000 people at Hillsborough. It was tough supporting United at a time when Wednesday were genuinely a big club, and it still makes me shudder to recall that after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough, Wednesday won the replay at Old Trafford 7-2. We consoled ourselves with the thought that we played the better football, but there was a serious concern that Wednesday were establishing themselves as a successful club.
That was a worry for another day, however. For the moment we had a promotion push and a Cup run progressing nicely, and as the programme notes say, there was no reason to think that the successes in each competition would not help momentum in the other. Lincoln were not strong opposition, and United navigated this game without undue difficulty. Hodgy, in his autobiography, says that from his point of view, it was one of the quietist matches of his career. Lincoln had 2 former United players who had not established themselves at the Lane: Denis Gratton at centre-half, and Jeff Smith at left-back. A lovely irony about this was that he was marking Cliff Mason, a reserve left-back playing as an emergency winger; Jeff Smith’s only league game for United was at Liverpool, where previous manager Joe Mercer decided to play 2 left-backs (Graham Shaw and Jeff Smith) on either wing. That experiment failed totally, but John Harris’s experiment with Mason turned out well - yet again Mason scored in this convincing win. A third, better-known ex-Blade, Derek Hawksworth, had recently moved on to Bradford.
The scrapbook records the event quite well. For the Cup games, there were always pictures of players in the build-up (in this case Richardson knitting - don’t ask! - and Coldwell taking his medicine, probably not the same one taken by Paddy Kenny in later years). The report makes clear Utd’s dominance, with positive comments on both defence and attack. And enough photos to bring it to life, with both teams playing in changed kit (Utd in red); strangely, Gratton and Smith seem to keep cropping up in them.
So, it was on to Round 5 in February. Wednesday were still in the draw, and this was our 4th year in a row in at least the 5th Round; remarkably, this record continued for a further 3 years.
I also include an item from the programme about the Juniors, which includes info on some familiar players (they lost the game v Wednesday 5-0 😡); and the scoreboard, which includes Luton 2-6 Man City. It has a letter A next to it. The match was abandoned after 69 minutes, and Denis Law had scored all 6 goals. His goals were wiped from the record-books. In the replayed game he scored again, but they lost 3-1; he always claimed to be the only player to have scored 7 goals in a cup-tie and ended up on the losing side!
View attachment 104003View attachment 104004View attachment 104005View attachment 104006View attachment 104007View attachment 104008View attachment 104009View attachment 104010
Lee Chapman's father playing for Lincoln.
They lived very aptly on Scorer St near Sincil Bank.

Lee Chapman's father playing for Lincoln.
They lived very aptly on Scorer St near Sincil Bank.
Thanks for that. My brother’s best pal at school had moved from Lincoln, and was a big admirer of Roy Chapman. We used to take the piss because he wasn’t very good - I think of him as a sort of Chris Porter figure: not a great player, a bit awkward, but hard not to like. I had no idea he was Lee Chapman’s dad.
How did you know what road he lived on?

Thanks for that. My brother’s best pal at school had moved from Lincoln, and was a big admirer of Roy Chapman. We used to take the piss because he wasn’t very good - I think of him as a sort of Chris Porter figure: not a great player, a bit awkward, but hard not to like. I had no idea he was Lee Chapman’s dad.
Bert can remember Lee Chapman in an interview saying he was born on Scorer St.

Roy Chapman scored a lot of goals.

Roy Chapman scored a lot of goals.

It surprised me reading that summary of his career. He was lanky, did not have much pace, but he obviously had a knack for scoring goals. He always played in the lower leagues, and my original comparison of him with Chris Porter perhaps stands. My brother’s pal’s admiration for him was always rather tongue-in-cheek.

Feb 4th 1961: Swansea Town 3-0 Utd
Attendance: 15113

67DA7A40-357A-4990-A34E-3643FDA91EE5.jpegThe league table before the game shows that United were top, and Swansea Town just 1 point off the bottom. As we know from the Blades win at Old Trafford last week, the top team does not always win, and this was very much the case on Feb 4th 1961, as Utd went to Vetch Field having won their last 5 games, but came a mighty cropper which temporarily halted a run of success in League and Cup.
I have to apologise for the lack of information. I didn’t go to the game, the 13-year -old me was obviously sulking and put no newspaper cuttings in the scrapbook, and I can’t find much out about the game. The programme the following week says we hit the bar twice and had 4 other near misses, but then moves on quickly. Swansea were missing some of their better players, including Mel Nurse and Len Allchurch; some of you will already know that Allchurch was soon to play a huge part in our promotion push.
To add to the scarcity of information, the Swansea programme is my nomination for the worst programme of the season, and the pages pictured below contain most of its meagre content. It is interesting that just as Utd’s programme reckoned that the 3-0 defeat was unlucky, so the Swansea programme claimed they were unlucky to lose 3-0 at the Lane in September. Perfect symmetry! The one redeeming feature of the programme was a quiz about Utd containing 5 standard questions, plus the very topical question of which Utd player had recently made a first-team appearance, 6 years after his previous appearance. Regular readers of this thread will know the answer.
After this worrying defeat, it was back to the Lane next Saturday, expecting to get the promotion push back on track against lowly Luton.
C7E4C637-6817-4829-BA30-E75ED0F1B97F.jpeg24D4A3BD-5BB4-44F3-A210-E332EBAC9016.jpeg30059467-3667-489A-B6F8-0EE91194D36C.jpeg

FA Cup 4th Round

View attachment 104003View attachment 104004View attachment 104005View attachment 104006View attachment 104007View attachment 104008View attachment 104009View attachment 104010
Feb 4th 1961: Swansea Town 3-0 Utd
Attendance: 15113

View attachment 104720The league table before the game shows that United were top, and Swansea Town just 1 point off the bottom. As we know from the Blades win at Old Trafford last week, the top team does not always win, and this was very much the case on Feb 4th 1961, as Utd went to Vetch Field having won their last 5 games, but came a mighty cropper which temporarily halted a run of success in League and Cup.
I have to apologise for the lack of information. I didn’t go to the game, the 13-year -old me was obviously sulking and put no newspaper cuttings in the scrapbook, and I can’t find much out about the game. The programme the following week says we hit the bar twice and had 4 other near misses, but then moves on quickly. Swansea were missing some of their better players, including Mel Nurse and Len Allchurch; some of you will already know that Allchurch was soon to play a huge part in our promotion push.
To add to the scarcity of information, the Swansea programme is my nomination for the worst programme of the season, and the pages pictured below contain most of its meagre content. It is interesting that just as Utd’s programme reckoned that the 3-0 defeat was unlucky, so the Swansea programme claimed they were unlucky to lose 3-0 at the Lane in September. Perfect symmetry! The one redeeming feature of the programme was a quiz about Utd containing 5 standard questions, plus the very topical question of which Utd player had recently made a first-team appearance, 6 years after his previous appearance. Regular readers of this thread will know the answer.
After this worrying defeat, it was back to the Lane next Saturday, expecting to get the promotion push back on track against lowly Luton.
View attachment 104728View attachment 104729View attachment 104730
Remember all these wonderful memories that cup run was my first full season always recall them easily. I actually started earlier than that as I started supporting United when I could crawl 😂 but my first season attending was this and boy what a start. Then when we got promoted stuffing the pigs a Swillsborough Doc Pace got both goals always remember him sliding the ball past Springett

Remember all these wonderful memories that cup run was my first full season always recall them easily. I actually started earlier than that as I started supporting United when I could crawl 😂 but my first season attending was this and boy what a start. Then when we got promoted stuffing the pigs a Swillsborough Doc Pace got both goals always remember him sliding the ball past Springett
2 - 1 win think we did the double over em that first season back in division 1 and wednesday were a top side back then was payback for our cup defeat in 1960 at the lane where we battered em and lost to their only 2 shots on target in the game derek wilkinson

I was a very tiny foetus who in 5 months would be inflicted with being a Blades Fan!

2 - 1 win think we did the double over em that first season back in division 1 and wednesday were a top side back then was payback for our cup defeat in 1960 at the lane where we battered em and lost to their only 2 shots on target in the game derek wilkinson
We did indeed do the double. The first one, in the September, was a wonderful day, and I hope the pics and report below are clear enough to bring back memories. I have always loved Heap’s cartoon line: ‘Post has hit the Pace again.’
19803E83-BE2F-4D0A-BCFA-F4FA1897F536.jpeg5D08AB32-893A-4B3A-81C6-29482F8BFFF3.jpeg

We did indeed do the double. The first one, in the September, was a wonderful day, and I hope the pics and report below are clear enough to bring back memories. I have always loved Heap’s cartoon line: ‘Post has hit the Pace again.’
View attachment 104738View attachment 104739
fantastic hodgy love these clips and pics from the 60s started my own scrap books from 1962 know ive got a pic of doc pace heading one of our goals in the 2 - 1 win at hillsbro but cant figure out how to put em on here lol

fantastic hodgy love these clips and pics from the 60s started my own scrap books from 1962 know ive got a pic of doc pace heading one of our goals in the 2 - 1 win at hillsbro but cant figure out how to put em on here lol
My scrapbook runs out in January 1962, so I hope you will be able to do it soon! I am hopeless with technology, and it took me a while to get going, and it occasionally defeats me (posting video rarely works for me). If you have an iPhone or IPad I could offer an idiot’s guide (me being the idiot!). If you have kids or grandkids, they will be able to help. And people on here are generally understanding (except if you mention politics!)

My scrapbook runs out in January 1962, so I hope you will be able to do it soon! I am hopeless with technology, and it took me a while to get going, and it occasionally defeats me (posting video rarely works for me). If you have an iPhone or IPad I could offer an idiot’s guide (me being the idiot!). If you have kids or grandkids, they will be able to help. And people on here are generally understanding (except if you mention politics!)
haha only got about 2 scrapbooks still intact had about 10 at one time will give it another go but love these nostalgic threads for us oldies lol

doc pace getting the 2nd in our 2 - 1 win at hillsborough feb 62

Back
Top Bottom