44 Seasons Ago

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
I was a season ticket holder for nearly all of the 70’s, and then moving away made that impossible, until I retired in 2013, but I’ve only missed 1 home match since then, even though it’s a 200 mile round trip. Clearly my latest 6 years as a ST holder have been quite a ride.

Last night I started thinking about the last year when my season ticket was in the top flight - 1975/76. Quite a year - we talk about the glory years of TC and Woody, but they were both still there, along with Eddie Colquhoun and Len and a shiny new South Stand, but this year was far from glorious. I’d forgotten how bad it was - we had finished 6th the year before and started full of hope. The Pigs had been relegated from Division 2 to 3 in 74/75 as well, which made the prospect of 75/76 seem even more exciting.

After 36 of the 42 games we had won 2, drawn 9 and lost 25 and were basically down. The thing that I remember most of that season though was the end. In the last 6 games we won 4 drew 1 and lost 1, and the Pigs teetered on the brink of relegation to Division 4. Each week we all chanted “doomed” when we heard their score and the only disappointment was when they won their last game and stayed up.

That year, of course, was the start of our slide to the bottom, and was mainly caused by the debt from overextending to build the new stand as a result of overconfidence in the sustainability of our position. Our first year up 71/72, felt very much like this year and so these days I love to hear our brilliant manager talk about staying within our means - with Tufty we can get it right this time. He is so much more than our head coach.

So my last top flight year was not glorious, but boy did we have a laugh in those last 6 games. We’re going to get it right this time though.

This Magic is for ever.

It's very often the case that when a team gets relegated they start performing. From memory did we start drafting some youngsters in for those final games/

I seem to remember Stainrod scoring a great goal (against West Ham?) although I might be confusing that with the goal he scored at Hull City.

The 1970's were definitely 'a decade of two halves'.

The first 5 years were some of the best times a lot of us had ever experienced (up until now) and the second half of the 1970's was absolutely dire culminating in the worse possible match and result in the penultimate game of the decade.

I was a season ticket holder for nearly all of the 70’s, and then moving away made that impossible, until I retired in 2013, but I’ve only missed 1 home match since then, even though it’s a 200 mile round trip. Clearly my latest 6 years as a ST holder have been quite a ride.

Last night I started thinking about the last year when my season ticket was in the top flight - 1975/76. Quite a year - we talk about the glory years of TC and Woody, but they were both still there, along with Eddie Colquhoun and Len and a shiny new South Stand, but this year was far from glorious. I’d forgotten how bad it was - we had finished 6th the year before and started full of hope. The Pigs had been relegated from Division 2 to 3 in 74/75 as well, which made the prospect of 75/76 seem even more exciting.

After 36 of the 42 games we had won 2, drawn 9 and lost 25 and were basically down. The thing that I remember most of that season though was the end. In the last 6 games we won 4 drew 1 and lost 1, and the Pigs teetered on the brink of relegation to Division 4. Each week we all chanted “doomed” when we heard their score and the only disappointment was when they won their last game and stayed up.

That year, of course, was the start of our slide to the bottom, and was mainly caused by the debt from overextending to build the new stand as a result of overconfidence in the sustainability of our position. Our first year up 71/72, felt very much like this year and so these days I love to hear our brilliant manager talk about staying within our means - with Tufty we can get it right this time. He is so much more than our head coach.

So my last top flight year was not glorious, but boy did we have a laugh in those last 6 games. We’re going to get it right this time though.

This Magic is for ever.
I was only 8 that year but im sure i remember going to leeds and winning after we were relegated , think i can remember a steward giving my dad the " big un " before the match and then after my dad giving him the big fk off .
UTB NBM

I was only 8 that year but im sure i remember going to leeds and winning after we were relegated , think i can remember a steward giving my dad the " big un " before the match and then after my dad giving him the big fk off .
UTB NBM

We won 1-0 at Weeds, just like last year.

Woody scored - naturally!

It's very often the case that when a team gets relegated they start performing. From memory did we start drafting some youngsters in for those final games?

I seem to remember Stainrod scoring a great goal (against West Ham?) although I might be confusing that with the goal he scored at Hull City.

1. Yes we did, only two though:
Stainrod (aged 17) came in for Spurs away (lost 5-0) and stayed in the team for the last 6 after that (7 appearances, 2 goals)
Kenworthy (aged 17) came in for the last 6, starting with a 3-1 away win at Norwich

2. Yes, a great goal by Stainrod vs West Ham (see below). April 10th, 1976. 3-2. Game of the season (as it had been the previous season, with the same scoring sequence).

Billy Jennings … 0-1
Woodward ……. 1-1
Billy Jennings......1-2
Guthrie...…………..2-2
Stainrod…………...3-2 A Woodward effort was blocked and Stainrod hit a hard left-foot shot in off the foot of the far post.

IMG_3423.jpg

It's very often the case that when a team gets relegated they start performing. From memory did we start drafting some youngsters in for those final games/

The 1970's were definitely 'a decade of two halves'.

The first 5 years were some of the best times a lot of us had ever experienced (up until now) and the second half of the 1970's was absolutely dire culminating in the worse possible match and result in the penultimate game of the decade.

We beat Wet Sham 3-2 after being 1 down at half time. Stainrod did score that day. Him and Tony Kenworthy played for the last few games.

We won 1-0 at Weeds, just like last year. Woody scored - naturally!

Wed April 14th, 1976. Third win in a row. TC at his best, controlling the match. Explosive shot from Woody to win it. It was looking brighter for a while, but ultimately the slide continued.

United players in pic below: John Flynn, Paul Garner, Colin Franks and Dave Bradford. Leeds player: Allan Clarke,

IMG_3424.jpg

From memory did we start drafting some youngsters in for those final games/

Kenworthy and Stainrod for the final games.

From December to March, young John McGeady played 11 games at no. 7. Woody wore no. 11 during this run of games and no. 9 once (Everton at home 0-0).

And a certain young Keith Edwards played 3 games:
  • January: No.9 away at Leicester in the FA Cup 3rd round, lost 3-0.
  • March: No. 11 in two league games: Lost 4-1 at home to Wolves and 2-1 at home to Ipswich.

yep i thought so , not sure of the other matches though was burnley away one of them ?
UTB NBM

No.

Norwich City......……...A...3-1
WEST HAM.………..H...3-2
Leeds Utd...…………….A...1-0
Middlesbrough...……A...0-3
NEWCASTLE...…….H...1-0
BIRMINGHAM...….H...1-1

Last edited:
Useless information pt37.

Stainrod used to wear a Crombie at school with a fake hankie in the top pocket.

Reactions: ZLB
No.

Norwich City......……...A...3-1
WEST HAM.………..H...3-2
Leeds Utd...…………….A...1-0
Middlesbrough...……A...0-3
NEWCASTLE...…….H...1-0
BIRMINGHAM...….H...1-1
cheers ZLB was only a young un so couldnt remember
UTB NBM

Reactions: ZLB

1. Yes we did, only two though:
Stainrod (aged 17) came in for Spurs away (lost 5-0) and stayed in the team for the last 6 after that (7 appearances, 2 goals)
Kenworthy (aged 17) came in for the last 6, starting with a 3-1 away win at Norwich

2. Yes, a great goal by Stainrod vs West Ham (see below). April 10th, 1976. 3-2. Game of the season (as it had been the previous season, with the same scoring sequence).

Billy Jennings … 0-1
Woodward ……. 1-1
Billy Jennings......1-2
Guthrie...…………..2-2
Stainrod…………...3-2 A Woodward effort was blocked and Stainrod hit a hard left-foot shot in off the foot of the far post.

View attachment 66317
Guthrie scored our first and Woody the second. Here is a description of Woody's goal.

GOAL - v West Ham (h) 10.4.76. United got back on level terms with one of Woodward's vintage goals. There was no hint of danger when Franks pushed the ball to him well outside the penalty area, but Woodward, with that lazy swing of his right foot, hit the back of the net from way out with Day looking stunned by it all, as well he might.

75-76, at least the music was good.
Harry Haslam came in when we were drifting down . he came in wheeling and dealing selling some good young players initially it seemed to be working.
On the back of signing Sebella we continued the downward drift.Which culminated with us landing in the 4 division.
Yes we started a stuttering revival but it was a nightmare time for the club and fans.
That period was the start of 40 years of a lot of dross.
We have a new era under Wilder and must preserve it as long as possible.
A lot of blades more or less accepting our fate ! going no where in the 1st division !.
Then along comes CWAK great management team.

This Magic is for ever.

I don't believe we ever recovered as a club from that season until now. Up to that point we had always been a top flight club or a top second tier club. We went on a rapid decline spending several years in the third and one in the fourth. Tte Bassett years were a temporary respite until the club returned to usual and habitual underachievement.

All this changed in 2016.

I remember going to that game with mi’ old sadly departed Dad.
Woody was about 25-30 yards out and even before he shot mi’ Dad jumped up and shouted goal.
Woody never missed from that range.
From a paper report

GOAL - v Leeds (a) 14.4.76. Drifting in from the right after an exchange with Currie, Woodward rode a tackle from Frankie Gray before completely deceiving Harvey with an explosive shot which appeared to catch a slight deflection.

I remember going to that game with mi’ old sadly departed Dad.
Woody was about 25-30 yards out and even before he shot mi’ Dad jumped up and shouted goal.
Woody never missed from that range.
Yep Pittsburg my dad was the same ( sadly departed too ) he loved woody more than TC possibly because my dad played right wing too and appreciated just how good he was no idea how he didn't play for England
UTB NBM

I’d forgotten how bad it was - we had finished 6th the year before and started full of hope.

First game we drew at home to League Champions, Derby County. Was that ever a false dawn.

We lost the next seven in a row, beat Burnley 2-1 at home on 23rd Sept 1975, then didn't win another game till...

Ramsey rarely used wingers
That was down to the 1966 World Cup winning team, nicknamed, "Alf's wingless wonders". It changed the thinking on how football should be played. Up until then the old "W" formation was the norm for most clubs.

Ever so often, an innovation like this changes the game. Take Barcelona in recent years. They broke the mould in not having a big centre forward. Mind you, that's not surprising seeing as your average Spaniard is only 5'4" with a 28 inch waist and called "Manuel".

The problem with innovation is everyone tries to copy it, thinking, quite possibly, that they are being innovative in doing so. But they aren't. They are just copycats! It's o.k. to copy something if you can reproduce it just as good, or better. But if it's a poor imitation then it defeats the object.

Sheffield United are being recognised as innovators now, because of the "overlapping centre backs". Others might try and copy that, but they need to have the players capable of doing so.

I lament the lack of wingers. A winger used to be a forward, who played wide, dribbled around people, put in pin point crosses and scored a few himself, in Woodward's case. I use to love seeing them play. Woodward especially, but also other wingers that we've had down the years, like Steve Wigley, Colin Morris, Paul Devlin and ...

there haven't been too many because they've gone out of fashion.

I loved watching that Traore guy for Wolves. He's a bit chunky for a winger, but what devastation he's capable of creating when he goes on a run. I like that and I'd like to see it come back again. The only thing is, the out and out winger is a rare beast thesedays. Managers want wide players to run back and defend as well. A true out and out winger would be a luxury. I'd still like one though!

Guthrie scored our first and Woody the second. Here is a description of Woody's goal.

GOAL - v West Ham (h) 10.4.76. United got back on level terms with one of Woodward's vintage goals. There was no hint of danger when Franks pushed the ball to him well outside the penalty area, but Woodward, with that lazy swing of his right foot, hit the back of the net from way out with Day looking stunned by it all, as well he might.

Disagree. Woody got our first. It says ‘level terms’ in your description which is correct. Guthrie’s header for 2-2 and Stainrod’s shot for 3-2 came in quick succession.

Yep Pittsburg my dad was the same ( sadly departed too ) he loved woody more than TC possibly because my dad played right wing too and appreciated just how good he was no idea how he didn't play for England
UTB NBM
Your dad knew what he was talking about. Alan Woodward was a wonderful player. Without argument he would be in a team of greatest players to represent United.

I remember the 75/76 season. Must have gone to over had of the away games to see us get hammered week in week out.

Have great memories of the win at Norwich. First away win of the season the week after relegation was confirmed. Great away support that day.

Back
Top Bottom