40k To Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This as been niggling me for years since the pigs done it but could we ever take that many to Wembley I know loads were part timers but do we have the part time fan base to take 40k I’m sure I read somewhere we struggled with 34k for the Huddersfield game.

We sold more tickets for the Burnley game than they did in their only ever visit. As a rule we are less likely to add a few thousand on every time the story is told.

How many tickets do you get at wembley these days? Sure in the FA cup its crap compared to play offs.

How many tickets do you get at wembley these days? Sure in the FA cup its crap compared to play offs.
Just over 30k - think it's split three ways between the 2 teams and corporate gets pretty much as many as the clubs involved.

This is City's link to their info from last season where their total was 31,606 (including an additional 2,364, meaning their initial allocation was 29,242): https://www.mancity.com/news/ticket...nal-ticket-information-sales-criteria-watford

Did we not take 37000 to old Trafford for the semi against arsenal , they couldn't sell there tickets so we kept getting more and more . We had both stands behind the goals the whole of the side where the benches are and and part of the corners that ran on to the huge stand opposite , we can pull just as many followers for these big games if need be .

No we were not behind both goals.

Just over 30k - think it's split three ways between the 2 teams and corporate gets pretty much as many as the clubs involved.

This is City's link to their info from last season where their total was 31,606 (including an additional 2,364, meaning their initial allocation was 29,242): https://www.mancity.com/news/ticket...nal-ticket-information-sales-criteria-watford
That’s more than I thought. Good to know. .... maybe.

Although I am sick of losing there, so may give a semi a wide berth if that happened.

Wednesday have a bigger fan base than us all in all it has to be admitted... BUT that was their first time at Wembley since 1993 guaranteed to bring them out of the woodwork, they have more woodwork fans than us and that’s a fact.
The times for size of fan base could be in transition though, if they carry on like this for another decade they’ll lose a generation of support and along with a dilapidating stadium could be forced to move, they can’t afford to move though that’s the thing, so they’d have two choices, spend a shedload doing up the current ground or somehow finance a soulless bowl on some waste ground on the edge of town. Either way that’ll destroy finances which in turn will affect players and wages.
Basically what I’m saying is they’re done for and need to get their shit together ASAP.

Wednesday have a bigger fan base than us all in all it has to be admitted... BUT that was their first time at Wembley since 1993 guaranteed to bring them out of the woodwork, they have more woodwork fans than us and that’s a fact.
The times for size of fan base could be in transition though, if they carry on like this for another decade they’ll lose a generation of support and along with a dilapidating stadium could be forced to move, they can’t afford to move though that’s the thing, so they’d have two choices, spend a shedload doing up the current ground or somehow finance a soulless bowl on some waste ground on the edge of town. Either way that’ll destroy finances which in turn will affect players and wages.
Basically what I’m saying is they’re done for and need to get their shit together ASAP.

Not averaged over 30,000 in a season since the 1960s. They had a bigger fanbase when Elvis was just out of short trousers, but it’s been a myth ever since. They travel in numbers away from home, but they are no bigger than us.

Not averaged over 30,000 in a season since the 1960s. They had a bigger fanbase when Elvis was just out of short trousers, but it’s been a myth ever since. They travel in numbers away from home, but they are no bigger than us.

Exactly. Wendy may have been a bigger club with a bigger fan base in the PAST, but those days have gone. We are the bigger club now and I'd wager have the bigger support.

This is why we need a stadium expansion as if we stick with the current capacity there isn’t room to grow, I seriously think it must be a priority over the next 3 years.

Exactly. Wendy may have been a bigger club with a bigger fan base in the PAST, but those days have gone. We are the bigger club now and I'd wager have the bigger support.

disagree but it’s on the verge of tipping. If they were in our position they’d sell 40k at Wembley no problem. Don’t forget it’s only a few years since they did it, however their fans are more fair weather, if they visited Wembley another 3 times in the next 10 years it’d drop dramatically from 40k to 30k maybe less

disagree but it’s on the verge of tipping. If they were in our position they’d sell 40k at Wembley no problem. Don’t forget it’s only a few years since they did it, however their fans are more fair weather, if they visited Wembley another 3 times in the next 10 years it’d drop dramatically from 40k to 30k maybe less

It's worth remembering that they took the smallest ever following to Wembley for an FA Cup Final in the 90s.

Wendy seem to have alot of young uns that go to away games. Always seem alot of them when their playing at BDTBL, surely they haven't got the points needed?

They dont have more fans though.

Wendy seem to have alot of young uns that go to away games. Always seem alot of them when their playing at BDTBL, surely they haven't got the points needed?

They dont have more fans though.
So we’d take 40k to Wembley no problem? I think not. How many did we take against Burnley? Huddersfield? Hull?

If we got 40k tickets for a semi final we'd definitely take the full 40k now. Maybe not before CW and our shit squads but we would now.

Not sure on them three games. We was shite.
I sort of agree we’d take 40k but we’ll not have chance to show it unfortunately because of allocations given. I mean 60k split between two teams and 30k to corporate is diabolical !!

You also have to take into consideration the fact that United have had more event games over the last 30 years than Wendy have. They had never been to the new Wembley, and not been at all since 1993 before their play off v Hull. They were also full of beans for that game as they thought it was a shoe in the arrogant bastards. On the other hand Unitedites had been treated to nothing but serial failure on the big occasions. It naturally turns people off from attending those games if in your heart of hearts, you expect to see your club fail.

I've never really got the massive attendances at Wendy thing either. I think it's mainly a myth. Yes they have had some good attendances in the past, nearly 40k v Man Utd in the early 90s and a 48k attendance against the same side in the mid 80s...coincidentaly when Man Utd would have brought thousands and thousands to those games and probably had many in home areas also. How many times could we actually say they have had way more than 30k home fans in attendance for those big gates? Probably not a lot if truth be told. Yet Utd are now averaging over 30k without nearly as many away fans as the Lepers Lane has historically hosted, and if the Lane was bigger this season I'd suggest that we would be averaging 35k plus this season.

Considering the bigger size of the rust bucket over the Lane over many decades, the slightly bigger historical average attendance that they have over us is pretty marginal/pathetic, especially when you consider that they have seemingly always been seen as the glamour club of Sheffield with stadium improvement handouts etc, and they will have enjoyed many a huge away following bulking up their figures.

Wendies huge potential attendances are just a myth. There's a reason why they are so insecure about attendances compared to Blades.

I bet i know around 100 lads who are blades that would go but hardly go to any matches. Money, work, young family and hard to get a ticket at lane stops alot of them.

You also have to take into consideration the fact that United have had more event games over the last 30 years than Wendy have. They had never been to the new Wembley, and not been at all since 1993 before their play off v Hull. They were also full of beans for that game as they thought it was a shoe in the arrogant bastards. On the other hand Unitedites had been treated to nothing but serial failure on the big occasions. It naturally turns people off from attending those games if in your heart of hearts, you expect to see your club fail.

I've never really got the massive attendances at Wendy thing either. I think it's mainly a myth. Yes they have had some good attendances in the past, nearly 40k v Man Utd in the early 90s and a 48k attendance against the same side in the mid 80s...coincidentaly when Man Utd would have brought thousands and thousands to those games and probably had many in home areas also. How many times could we actually say they have had way more than 30k home fans in attendance for those big gates? Probably not a lot if truth be told. Yet Utd are now averaging over 30k without nearly as many away fans as the Lepers Lane has historically hosted, and if the Lane was bigger this season I'd suggest that we would be averaging 35k plus this season.

Considering the bigger size of the rust bucket over the Lane over many decades, the slightly bigger historical average attendance that they have over us is pretty marginal/pathetic, especially when you consider that they have seemingly always been seen as the glamour club of Sheffield with stadium improvement handouts etc, and they will have enjoyed many a huge away following bulking up their figures.

Wendies huge potential attendances are just a myth. There's a reason why they are so insecure about attendances compared to Blades.
Didn't there away end hold around 8k which all big teams man u liverpool ect ect would have sold out which means they only realistically had around 20k home fans the season they finished 3rd , pretty shit really considering there so fucking massive

The only way we could take 40k to Wembley would be if we were playing in the lower divisions. I therefore hope we never achieve this. Lots of two bob teams like Bristol rovers, Millwall and Carlisle have taken lots of fans to Wembley but it didn't make them massive clubs. They arrracted lots of daytrippers after their opposition returned some of their allocation. Attracting 30k every week is much more impressive than how many go to a once in a lifetime trip. I didn't go to the Huddersfield final as I felt that Wembley is overpriced and a nightmare to get to and away from.

Indeed. I can think of 3 matches in the early 90s alone where only our stadium size stopped us from having 40k plus crowds, namely Barnsley and Man Utd in the 5th/6th rounds of the FA Cup, and the 1991 home derby which was the 1st in the top flight for eons.

Didn't there away end hold around 8k which all big teams man u liverpool ect ect would have sold out which means they only realistically had around 20k home fans the season they finished 3rd , pretty shit really considering there so fucking massive

Probably a good deal more than 8k tbh. Can't give you an exact figure but their Lepers Lane stand (West Stand) had just short of 5k seats in the upper tier from around the mid 60s, and then they had the infamous terracing / pens on the lower tier. All in, it must have had a capacity of 12 to 15k. Quite a nice number of away fans that if sold out, to boost their 'massive' attendance figures back in the day. Like I said, Wendies massive home support is just a myth.

We ended up taking about 39-40,000 against Burnley when extra tickets were released (taking the allocation up to around 42,000).

We took 34-35,000 against Hull, hence Hulls chief exec (they took 27,000) coming out with the 'Sheffield has two football clubs' gem, inferring that wednesday fans were buying tickets in the United end.

Semi final teams get a bigger allocation than the final because of corporate. If we get to the semis this time it would be with a real chance of winning the whole thing (especially if man city don't make the final) and we'd sell out 35k in no time.

It’s easier to take more to lower division playoffs, as the tickets cost far less.

Back
Top Bottom