40k To Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Let the pork think what they want all I genuinely care about is that we go up at just wanted a fans prospective who go a hell of a lot more than me if they think we could manage it
It’d probably be a good topic for the long hot summer months bud, while we’re basking in auto promotion glory and the Pigs are snivelling in their troughs. ;)

Inferiority complex at it's best, who gives a flying one?! The pigs could sell Wembley out themselves, ask Mark the armed robber.

Versus Wolves at Cardiff is the benchmark against which all other Play-Off Final heartbreaks are measured. The others, whilst each possessing their own peculiar soul destroying pain, fall short of Cardiff. That was the real kick in the balls. :(

I disagree, I feel it was the Huddersfield playoff final which really kicked us in the balls. That's the closest we've ever come to winning a playoff final. Where as vs Palace it was a last minute goal from nothing and Wolves just battered us and killed the game by half time. Though I still say that if Brown had scored that penalty we'd have made a comeback.

This as been niggling me for years since the pigs done it but could we ever take that many to Wembley I know loads were part timers but do we have the part time fan base to take 40k I’m sure I read somewhere we struggled with 34k for the Huddersfield game.

The Huddersfield game was exceptional. Never in my 57-odd years of Blade-dom have I felt so down - before, during and after a game. 29-goal top-scorer Ched had just been arrested, we'd won 2 points out of our last three league games to slip down into the play-off positions and the pigs had replaced us and gone up automatically. To cap a thoroughly miserable day, we fucked up the penalty shoot-out, despite being in front.

But 'crowds' at their one-and-only visit to New Wembley is one of the many myths that the pigs have allowed to grow over the years. Like a tramp visiting Buckingham Palace, it's a chance to gaze in wonder and wear a 'jester hat' before going back to their natural abode - a shithole.

I'd be very surprised if there weren't over 40k Blades at the 2014 semi v Hull. The crowd was 71,820 and Hull sold nowhere near their 'end'. Ditto the 80,518 crowd at the 2009 PO Final v Burnley where United took huge numbers.

Yes, we know Wednesday can pull 'fans' out of the woodwork for the (very rare) big game but most of the time, their 'support' comes from shouting at a big screen in a pub frequented by their equally-gormless mates. Does taking 40k part-timers to a big game at Wembley confirm a clubs' 'massive' status? If so, Coventry are massive. The 2017 Checkatrade Trophy :rolleyes: Final at Wembley was won by Coventry (v. Oxford) in front of a crowd of 74,434.

'Roared on by their noisy 43,000 following, the Sky Blues were ahead after 11 minutes when, from a right-wing Jordan Willis cross, Stuart Beavon's attempted volley was blocked invitingly into Bigirimana's path for him to slot home.'
Link

See? Even Coventry can magic up big numbers for a meaningless competition, providing it's a day out at Wembley. Since then, most of them have disappeared - as with Wednesday. They're not supporters, they're 'glory-hunting day-trippers'. I'll take the 19,387 we averaged over six long years in Division One any day.

Did we not take 37000 to old Trafford for the semi against arsenal , they couldn't sell there tickets so we kept getting more and more . We had both stands behind the goals the whole of the side where the benches are and and part of the corners that ran on to the huge stand opposite , we can pull just as many followers for these big games if need be .

Inferiority complex at it's best, who gives a flying one?! The pigs could sell Wembley out themselves, ask Mark the armed robber.
He wouldn't go obviously ,Billy bears is open. It would be the first time hes missed a game ..... since the last one.

This as been niggling me for years since the pigs done it but could we ever take that many to Wembley I know loads were part timers but do we have the part time fan base to take 40k I’m sure I read somewhere we struggled with 34k for the Huddersfield game.

Pigs had 38 thousand in 2016. They only got it cos Hull fans are generally shite but also happened to be boycotting at the time.

I think we could easily get 40k if we were actually favourites and feeling positive about it. Can't ever see that happening though. Certainly not this year cos I think a lot of fairweather fans would be disappointed if we dont make autos.

Pork pork pork, your asking the question on the away forum, go back to pork talk and ask if you are capable of getting 20k down to Wembley if you make the play offs

We had more than 40,000 at the Burnley game, then we got an extra 800 or so the day before the match
Pretty sure that we weren't far off versus Hull, either. Seem to recall us getting an extra allocation anyway.

Pork pork pork, your asking the question on the away forum, go back to pork talk and ask if you are capable of getting 20k down to Wembley if you make the play offs
Never been a Wendy fan I’m just asking a question it’s the same on Facebook United groups you have a disagreement and you get told to fuck off to S6 haha

I disagree, I feel it was the Huddersfield playoff final which really kicked us in the balls. That's the closest we've ever come to winning a playoff final. Where as vs Palace it was a last minute goal from nothing and Wolves just battered us and killed the game by half time. Though I still say that if Brown had scored that penalty we'd have made a comeback.

I disagree with your disagreement. :) Wolves was the worst because, and excuse my drink & drug addled memory, although we finished 3rd that year we were in my view the best team in the league. I think we beat the top 2 twice, and beat and drew with wolves, the draw being basically our reserve side vs. their best. We showed ourselves to be a match for the top 4 of the premier league, and the team was in my view better than the one that went up a few seasons later. The loss also meant that we lost Brown, didn't sign Harley and probably missed out on Tonge's prime (a stages of that season he was unplayable). The gap between the championship and prem was narrower as well, if we had have gone up, we would probably have stayed up the next season. The two teams that got promoted did so spending money that they hadn't got and both went 'pop later' on. In my view we'd beaten the next best side in the division over two legs in the semi and we're facing a team famous for bottling it. We got blown out of the water within 45 minutes in a manner I've rarely seen happen, especially in that season.

Selling out would be far less important than _________________________ .

But I think we would sell out.

Anyone who wouldn't go and support this team at Wembley has a very strange mindset. Justifying it by being disappointed we missed out on automatic would be beyond laughable. We've exceeded expectations just getting in the top 6 but I know that wouldn't register with many.

This the same “ dem pigs “
Who couldn’t sell out the last Sheffield derby at the death trap , and had to give
Little old Sheffield United extra tickets to fill out the ground
Looking at the bouncing day massacre again they fucking didn’t sell out that one either

Sunderland and Pompey have both sold 40k for the Tin Pot Paint Trophy final
I went to see Mansfield play Bristol City in the tin pot paint final or whatever it was then.

Doesn't make me a fan of the Stags, even though my Misses says I'm a right Stag ;)

It's fair to say, as a number of others have highlighted, that a number of clubs have over the years managed to take 40,000 'supporters' to play-off finals and Football League trophy finals. The opportunity to do so is dictated entirely by the number of tickets required by the opponent on the day.

I believe, however, that only one club has ever taken just 16,000 to an FA Cup Final Replay, as our neighbour's did in 1994. Unique.

Selling out would be far less important than _________________________ .

But I think we would sell out.

Anyone who wouldn't go and support this team at Wembley has a very strange mindset. Justifying it by being disappointed we missed out on automatic would be beyond laughable. We've exceeded expectations just getting in the top 6 but I know that wouldn't register with many.

I said after seeing Simonson aim for the moon with his penalty that I would never set foot in another play off final ever again. My play off final heartache started with that ginger bastard in 1997 and hasn't got any better since.

If we end up having to go that route this year then I will be at Wembley with bells on.

The reason for my change in mindset??? This team and this manager!

We may end up getting beaten by the better team on the day but i can guarantee we'd turn up and give it everything unlike in every other final and I truly believe this team and this manager would be the ones to break the hoodoo.

Wednesday may have more fans that come out of the woodwork and so what ?

There’s me and another blade at work that go and 5 Wendy that don’t bother unless it’s a £10 a ticket job, even then only 1 goes.

I’ve been on the 120 back to Fulwood after a few games and a fair few students are on who’ve been to the Lane. Maybe the tide is turning. Would they go to Wembley though ?

You've just made a very good point With our style of play and give we consistently finish stronger, perhaps the next generation of fan will be ours?

You've just made a very good point With our style of play and give we consistently finish stronger, perhaps the next generation of fan will be ours?
Well you never know, if a couple of hundred students attend games and then say 30 of them settle in Sheffield they may decide to become fans, particularly if they aren’t from another major city so already have a team sorted.

I’m not sure there will ever be a seismic shift or a load of Wendy deserters seeking refuge, but over time it could happen.

I only give a fuck about the pigs when we play them. Every fan base grows with success.............So let’s taste the success first then worry about the crowds when they’re queuing round the block.

We are Blades, and very very comfortable in our own skin. As a rule we don’t worry about crowd size, we didn’t support United because we thought they were the biggest or the best team is the region.......Unlike our neighbours who thought by supporting Wednesday they were signing up to Sheffield’s “sure thing”

Well you never know, if a couple of hundred students attend games and then say 30 of them settle in Sheffield they may decide to become fans, particularly if they aren’t from another major city so already have a team sorted.

I’m not sure there will ever be a seismic shift or a load of Wendy deserters seeking refuge, but over time it could happen.

I'm thinking more of new fans who were originally neutrals?

I really don’t see how taking 40k to Wembley is any indication of a clubs fanbase.

When i’ve followed United there everybody and their grandmother went. It means nothing.

Only the Pigs would think it did.

Back
Top Bottom