4-2-3-1 - Worth taking a big risk?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Midland Blade

Reaction score
Baldock — Egan — Ampadu — Stevens

Berge — Fleck

Burke — Didzy — Moussett

Brewster

I think this formation idea ultimately falls down before it begins due to the lack of alternatives who can play in the wide positions and in the number 10 role, but for the sake of getting some thoughts on it I want to suggest this (when Moussett and Fleck return). As a first 11 I think this could negate a lot of the issues we currently have, it gives away some of the solidness that comes with having 5 at the back and a flat 3, but ultimately there is no point in having an element of solidity when we are scoring very few and conceding at least 1 or 2 a game still.

The current 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 relies heavily on the wing backs and CB’s to provide a lot of the creativity and goal threat which for a good portion of last season and the 3 seasons previous has obviously worked very well. With the current injuries, form and lack of confidence/intensity this clearly isn’t happening this season and I think we need to find a new way to breathe some creativity in the side as soon as possible for us to have a realistic chance of staying up.

This 11 takes away the problem of the current LCB selection issue. With the LCB in this side having less of a need to be creative and get in an attacking position up the pitch it minimises the need for a left footer in the role. I actually prefer Ampadu in CM, but with this formation I think an Egan and Ampadu pairing could be very solid. All our full backs are better suited as wing backs which is a drawback with this formation but by reducing the pressure on them being the primary goal threat, this may free them up and allow them to gain a bit of confidence/form back.

Burke - Didzy - Moussett behind the striker gives pace on the wings and creativity in the no10 role. Hopefully this would bring an element of threat back and put a bit of fear into the opposition defence, which is certainly not the case with the current slow and unimaginative passing around the edge the box. It should also give much more service to Brewster and play into his strength of being the natural finisher that we have been told he is. Maybe too early to say for sure, he's young joining a new side in a league he's had no experience in, so I'm definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt, but it certainly seems like his qualities are going to be shown when he gets decent service rather than being a striker who is going to create something out of nothing himself.

Some obvious negatives are the lack of back up for the three positions behind the striker. One injury and a formation change would be required. Perhaps if it worked for a couple of games we could look in Jan at a young pacey loanee and if we do have any money an attacking midfielder? (Who could come in at our budget and perform in this role is another big question mark). It could take away a bit of the attacking threat of Berge and Fleck an require them to be a bit more disciplined, easier for Sander than Fleck I’d think, however on form its a great CM pairing and any attacking threat lost with them should be made up with the front 4. It's also a massive change from the formation that the squad has been drilled so well in for the last 3+ years.

Ultimately it would be a massive risk and it’s safer to make a smaller switch and add a number 10 in the current formation, but there are still selection and form issues with this, and lets face it, can taking a bigger risk get much worse than how we have been so far this season?

I'm not sure we have the personnel to play this. Too many square pegs in round holes and not enough depth in the squad. Burke is the only winger we have.

The way we are playing I reckon dean Hammond would be an improvement

I'm not sure we have the personnel to play this. Too many square pegs in round holes and not enough depth in the squad. Burke is the only winger we have.
Yeah that's a fair point. I think Mouse could actually be decent out wide as more of a wide forward than a winger with his pace. No back up at all though should one of them get injured or not perform in the role.

Why drop Bash?
Did actually mean to reference this. Would be very unfair but not sure if he works in a back 4. Constantly proves any doubters wrong though and seems to adapt to every situation thrown at him so would have no problem with him alongside Egan there.

Back
Top Bottom