29 games left. We need an average 0.8 points per game.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
The 3rd bottom club relegated in the last 5 seasons had the following points: 34,33,34,37,35.

The average of those is 34.7, so if we need 35 points we now require 0.8 points per game. We are averaging 1.3 per game over the first 9.

Being cautious and saying that, us being United, we'll need 38 then the required average is 0.9 per game.

Watford need 1.24 points per game to get 38 points.

The 3rd bottom club relegated in the last 5 seasons had the following points: 34,33,34,37,35.

The average of those is 34.7, so if we need 35 points we now require 0.8 points per game. We are averaging 1.3 per game over the first 9.

Being cautious and saying that, us being United, we'll need 38 then the required average is 0.9 per game.

Watford need 1.24 points per game to get 38 points.
Let's not get complacent Woody remember we went down with more than that under Warnock.
This season could be an exception only Watford really struggling and the media think they will recover!.
Not sure about that but it's going to be nip& took this season we have to keep focused and I'm sure Wilder will make sure of that.

• Banned
Let's not get complacent Woody remember we went down with more than that under Warnock.
This season could be an exception only Watford really struggling and the media think they will recover!.
Not sure about that but it's going to be nip& took this season we have to keep focused and I'm sure Wilder will make sure of that.

No complacency, just facts finlaytheblade .

Definitely no complacency until we have 40 points!

This is SUFC, we usually found a new way to fail pre-Wilder!!

If anyone can go down with more than 40 points it will be us.

That said you get the feeling that times are a changing for SUFC.

All that talk about bad luck and curses yet as soon as we get a very good manager and staff, with good scouting, things seem to improve including our fortune.

Who'd have thunk it eh.

All that talk about bad luck and curses yet as soon as we get a very good manager and staff, with good scouting, things seem to improve including our fortune.

Who'd have thunk it eh.
Quite this. We have now played 9 premier league matches including the current league leaders and champions league winners, another relatively recent champions league winner packed with internationals, a champions league regular with a £100m attack alone, a seasoned premier league side away with one of the best home records going, the side tipped by many to break into at leats the top 6 if not the top 4 this season, and the side currently occupying 6th place. We have been at the very least competitive in all matches so far, W3, D3 and L3. The 3 losses could easily have been draws.

It's time to lose the fear now. We will compete with and cause problems for every team in this division quite simply because the management and players will not settle for anything less. We'll lose a few, might even take the odd tonking, but we are where we are on merit and I see no evidence to suggest we'll not continue to collect points regularly.

Cut the talk of going down will you for christs sake.

Look upwards, top 6 aside anything is possible and we've shown already have nothing to fear. With the defence being as good as it is (best in the league...), having faced Leicester, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal and only conceding 3 goals in those games and collecting 6 points which could've easily been 8. That's 3 of the top 5 and an expensive Everton side who are aiming for the top 6. We need to lose the chat about 'will we stay up?' - there's no danger of us going down unless we have a monumental collapse like we've never seen before.

Cut the pessimism, and talk of 'just our luck' - this is a new Sheffield United.

• Banned
Cut the talk of going down will you for christs sake.

Look upwards, top 6 aside anything is possible and we've shown already have nothing to fear. With the defence being as good as it is (best in the league...), having faced Leicester, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal and only conceding 3 goals in those games and collecting 6 points which could've easily been 8. That's 3 of the top 5 and an expensive Everton side who are aiming for the top 6. We need to lose the chat about 'will we stay up?' - there's no danger of us going down unless we have a monumental collapse like we've never seen before.

Cut the pessimism, and talk of 'just our luck' - this is a new Sheffield United.

Was it three games ago you said it was a 'Must win ' game Aki, priceless!!!

The O.P. was not intended to be a fearful one, more a factual one and Finlay warned against complacency - watch out he'll be on your case!!!

Was it three games ago you said it was a 'Must win ' game Aki, priceless!!!

The O.P. was not intended to be a fearful one, more a factual one and Finlay warned against complacency - watch out he'll be on your case!!!
Erm, quite a while ago actually, Southampton at home was viewed as a must win because you wouldn't expect us to go to Everton and win. Chris agreed with me in the post match interview too priceless!!!

We have since beaten Everton, were very unlucky not to draw with Liverpool and beaten Arsenal. What you might class as 'bonus' points we didn't expect. Goes to show we are more than capable at this level and I don't care if it's complacent or not there's no doubt we'll stay up.

I agree .... it's the Sheffield united way to be relegated 3rd bottom with 60 points... but only because Watford found a loophole that meant they got an additional 41 points for playing in yellow taking them from 20 points to 61 points 15 minutes after the final game of the season.

Erm, quite a while ago actually, Southampton at home was viewed as a must win because you wouldn't expect us to go to Everton and win. Chris agreed with me in the post match interview too priceless!!!

We have since beaten Everton, were very unlucky not to draw with Liverpool and beaten Arsenal. What you might class as 'bonus' points we didn't expect. Goes to show we are more than capable at this level and I don't care if it's complacent or not there's no doubt we'll stay up.

Things don't swing in such a short period of a 38 game season of course. Some fans do, you do, the manager doesn't, hey ho.

I must say you have become so positive, long may it continue. UTB.

Who'd have thunk it eh.
If we spend our season looking behind us thinking about the points we need to just stay up, then we’ll end up down there.

We have to be realistic of course, but with a quarter of the season gone, we’ve matched or bettered pretty much all of the teams we’ve played so far.

Leicester and Liverpool stand out for a few reasons, Liverpool were solid, Leicester were clinical. However, I think probably Palace, Liverpool and Arsenal have been our best performances, yet in all other games we could’ve been better.

So were 9th in the division with a quarter of the season gone and we’ve not been at our best. We’ve kept the most clean sheets so far...

We’re 5 points off 3rd, 4 points off 3rd bottom.

Time to be looking up, not down.

It doesn't matter what we think so I don't understand supporters on a fans forum arguing with each other about wether we should look up or down
The manager will want to get something out of every game and the players seem to be growing in confidence exponentially so I'm sure they will believe they can compete with anyone now

Our season won't be defined by wether blades fans look at the top six or the bottom three

If we spend our season looking behind us thinking about the points we need to just stay up, then we’ll end up down there.

We have to be realistic of course, but with a quarter of the season gone, we’ve matched or bettered pretty much all of the teams we’ve played so far.

Leicester and Liverpool stand out for a few reasons, Liverpool were solid, Leicester were clinical. However, I think probably Palace, Liverpool and Arsenal have been our best performances, yet in all other games we could’ve been better.

So were 9th in the division with a quarter of the season gone and we’ve not been at our best. We’ve kept the most clean sheets so far...

We’re 5 points off 3rd, 4 points off 3rd bottom.

Time to be looking up, not down.

It doesn't matter what we think so I don't understand supporters on a fans forum arguing with each other about wether we should look up or down
The manager will want to get something out of every game and the players seem to be growing in confidence exponentially so I'm sure they will believe they can compete with anyone now

Our season won't be defined by wether blades fans look at the top six or the bottom three

Fans' expectations create pressure and if fans really do believe we can finish unrealistically high then the pressure to do so can transmit to the team on and off the pitch.

My O.P. was not intended to be either optimistic or pessimistic, rather factual and realistic.; encouraging in fact if any slight implication was intended.

0.8 points per game in the P.L. is still a big challenge for at least 10 teams including us.

I don't go along with this "it's the Sheffield United way" I would guess 90%+ clubs fans say this all the time it's almost as if some fans want something to moan about so they can smugly say "I told you so, only the blades"

I thought we'd bottle league 1 and the championship promotions and we didnt. New era and every season getting better under Wilder and Knill etc.

Fans' expectations create pressure and if fans really do believe we can finish unrealistically high then the pressure to do so can transmit to the team on and off the pitch.

My O.P. was not intended to be either optimistic or pessimistic, rather factual and realistic.; encouraging in fact if any slight implication was intended.

0.8 points per game in the P.L. is still a big challenge for at least 10 teams including us.
Fan pessimism also translates to the team. Worse still the ‘acceptance of mediocrity’which was rife amongst united fans, players, management and even owners before Wilder arrived.

There are similarities this season to our first season in the Championship. I’m not daft enough to think that we’ll be challenging for top 4, however we should be looking towards it for as long as it’s realistic.

We had an old attitude back in League one and before that in the championship that we push for a bit for top 2 then adjust that to top 6. It’s like we don’t want to be disappointed in missing out on winning the league. If you start your season looking at finishing just above bottom 3 then that’s where you’ll end up.

Wilder has helped quash expectation this season, but I thought this was perhaps more for public reasons. However, several of the players have also mentioned “ doing enough to stay up”. This is not the mentality we have become used to and nor should it be something we expect.

1/4 season gone and just like we adjusted our expectations down before, we need to look at what this side can realistically achieve. Top 10? We’re sat there already.

38 league games instead of 46 we had last year. 6 sides are playing in Europe meaning they have to travel more and have more games to play.

At least look at what we can achieve rather than settling for just enough

I tend to find that the only result of fans talking about " why not top.6 ?" Etc is that they end up disappointed and believe the team is underachieving when they go a few games without winning
Outside of this forum these opinions don't affect anyone

No fear whatsoever, if we can hold our own against Liverpool who are the standout team in the league, we can against anybody and have proven it so far against some very good sides, despite all the know nowts saying we're going to get beat every week, whether its Pigs, pundits thieving a living or football "fans" where their knowledge about anything outside the top 6 can be written on a postage stamp.

The one thing we have now is a different mentality, none of this "we're happy to be here and we're going to go out there and enjoy it" bollocks that Warnock used to spout and has continued to throughout various failed spells in the Premier League. Wilder hasn't fought through from Sunday League to the Premier League to simply let it slip through his fingers and think the job's done. He's a winner, has become used to winning and if anyone in the squad is stopping that from happening or isn't capable of contributing towards winning anymore, they're out the door.

It does feel like it's going to be a tighter league than usual this season. I think the demise of the tier 2 clubs (Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal Man Utd) has meant that a lot of sides lower down are picking up more points than usual.

Add to that, the teams that came up appear to be better than the teams that went down & there are no obvious whipping boys... I think to survive this season we may need closer to the 40 point mark.

Fan pessimism also translates to the team. Worse still the ‘acceptance of mediocrity’which was rife amongst united fans, players, management and even owners before Wilder arrived.

There are similarities this season to our first season in the Championship. I’m not daft enough to think that we’ll be challenging for top 4, however we should be looking towards it for as long as it’s realistic.

We had an old attitude back in League one and before that in the championship that we push for a bit for top 2 then adjust that to top 6. It’s like we don’t want to be disappointed in missing out on winning the league. If you start your season looking at finishing just above bottom 3 then that’s where you’ll end up.

Wilder has helped quash expectation this season, but I thought this was perhaps more for public reasons. However, several of the players have also mentioned “ doing enough to stay up”. This is not the mentality we have become used to and nor should it be something we expect.

1/4 season gone and just like we adjusted our expectations down before, we need to look at what this side can realistically achieve. Top 10? We’re sat there already.

38 league games instead of 46 we had last year. 6 sides are playing in Europe meaning they have to travel more and have more games to play.

At least look at what we can achieve rather than settling for just enough

I backed us ( modestly!) to finish in the Top Half, (10/1 just checked it). Now that is pressure!!

That price demonstrates the size of the achievement if it happens.

I am still of the opinion that staying up is an achievement though.

I backed us ( modestly!) to finish in the Top Half, (10/1 just checked it). Now that is pressure!!

That price demonstrates the size of the achievement if it happens.

I am still of the opinion that staying up is an achievement though.
Of course staying up would be an achievement. However, if were honest and realistic we should be achieving top half and you getting your pay out

Of course staying up would be an achievement. However, if were honest and realistic we should be achieving top half and you getting your pay out
What's honest and realistic about expecting to outperform established teams with squads and wage bills that dwarf ours ?

I tend to find that the only result of fans talking about " why not top.6 ?" Etc is that they end up disappointed and believe the team is underachieving when they go a few games without winning
Outside of this forum these opinions don't affect anyone

Doesn't even take a few games, sometimes: look at the number of people who were so confident after the Liverpool game and then furious and despondent after Watford.

What's honest and realistic about expecting to outperform established teams with squads and wage bills that dwarf ours ?

Wage bills and established squads were thrown at us in the Championship for reasons we would fail.

Realistic - Almost a quarter of the season gone and currently outperforming half of those teams with results. 4 of our results have come against sides currently in the top 10.

Honesty - with ourselves, adjusting our goal to something which is still realistic, but more challenging than just being 4th bottom after another 29 games

Wage bills and established squads were thrown at us in the Championship for reasons we would fail.

Realistic - Almost a quarter of the season gone and currently outperforming half of those teams with results. 4 of our results have come against sides currently in the top 10.

Honesty - with ourselves, adjusting our goal to something which is still realistic, but more challenging than just being 4th bottom after another 29 games
The goal will be to get as many points as possible
No one at the football club will be adjusting that target based on a few games

If the chairman came out in the press and said well done Chris on getting to ninth spot but I expect nothing less now ,everyone would think he was fucking nuts and rightly so

We will be nowhere near the bottom 3 at the end of the season. Been banging this drum since we went up and will keep doing so.

Does anyone genuinely believe there are not at least 3 worse teams than us in this league? So far I can name at least 7 who are.

The Premier League seems surprisingly well balanced this season. It might be closer to 40 to stay up.

I am shocked that Palace are 6th.

Back
Top Bottom