2015/16 Home Kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If there is any truth in this 'HRH and Phipps rebranding the club' business then they have picked the wrong club. I can't think of another club with such a strong identity and fans who wouldn't stand for such nonsense.

You mean we won't be seeing Boston Blue Sox (with a white pinstripe)? :D

Out of interest, all the children with their bottom lip out about this, you wouldn't also be the type to vote labour even if the candidate was a whippet with a red rosette are you? This thread is Sheffield in a microcosm. We don't like change and will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo no matter how bog standard it may be.

Out of interest, all the children with their bottom lip out about this, you wouldn't also be the type to vote labour even if the candidate was a whippet with a red rosette are you? This thread is Sheffield in a microcosm. We don't like change and will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo no matter how bog standard it may be.

Yeh, screw tradition. Let's just wear blue and white stripes!

Yeh, screw tradition. Let's just wear blue and white stripes!

That's silly though as we are not doing that, that is an extreme argument that goes way beyond any tradition.

This is not a major rebranding of the club, it isn't even a change of the colour scheme. It's a one off shirt which is quite stylish and is more than a nod to our original shirt too so there is some tradition there.

Some people don't like it. Fair enough, but it's the over the top reactions to it as if it is a blue and white shirt that I do not understand. Unfortunately for those who don't like it, plenty of us do and it will be our kit. So get over it.

This is not a major rebranding of the club, it isn't even a change of the colour scheme. It's a one off shirt which is quite stylish and is more than a nod to our original shirt too, so there is some tradition there.

Some people don't like it. Fair enough, but it's the over the top reactions to it as if it is a blue and white shirt that I do not understand. Unfortunately for those who don't like it, plenty of us do

Exactly.

Just for the conspiracy theorists regarding the "125 year excuse", it's been planned for quite some time, but unfortunately, as the anniversary sneaked up out of nowhere to some, it wasn't possible to do it in time for the original plan. It's now here, later than planned.

I'm 60 in September so I guess I should be celebrating my 58th birthday this year on the basis I was in hospital that year. WTF :confused: If this is the way SUFC plan then they would be late for their own funeral.

I can only think that those who like it are thinking in fashion/wearing it terms as from the stands it looks all white. I shan't be buying the shirt (if any of my relatives are reading this and have the bright idea of getting me one with a 60 on the back for my birthday save your money and give it to the Heart Foundation in memory of Shred instead cos the shirt would go in the bin) but I will also have to forgo the pleasure of seeing red and white stripes walking out onto the pitch. I always found the sight strangely uplifting and felt the adrenelin flow. Can't say I get that buzz from this shirt. Disappointed isn't the word.

Ok so why not a blue strip then ? What scared of change? Let's do something different , that's a good idea, has to be, well it's different must be good.

But it isn't a different color is it? It's red and white, with more white than red. Seriously some of the reactions on here remind me of my 4 yr old when I make him wear a shirt with buttons, its a sodding football kit which represents a slight break from the norm, and in fact even represents our first ever kit! Perhaps a modicum of perspective required?

Think you're missing my point. You said nothing wrong with breaking with tradition. Changing colour is breaking with tradition is it not? My question is simple - would that change in tradition be acceptable? If not, what level of change Iis acceptable?

Reactions: Dkc

There is a strong argument to say that the effective opposition element of our democracy relies on a third of people never changing their vote. Thats part of the reason why I'll be voting Labour in May as I have at every opportunity since I first helped elect Richard Caborn in 1983.

I'll also be buying the my first shirt in thirty years because; I like it, I think change is a good thing and I like what it says about the attitude at board level.

The season after next everyone who hates it will be extra happy when we return to thick stripes.

Disaster is a bit of an overreaction isn't it? I've not bought a kit in years but will get this one precisely because it's a bit different. It will do well enough in my opinion and If we have a bit of success in it, it
I quite like it and will be buying one, because of how it looks not because of the the rest of the bullshit.

It's a kit at the end of the day, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't really matter what we play in (providing it isn't Blue of course)

When I go on my jollies this year and someone in a bar asks who I support, when I say Sheffield United they're not going to say "oh, that's them lads that play in that white shirt with the pinstripe and red shorts. There kit is bloody awful, it should be red and white".

They're much more likely to say "oh, that team who have been stuck in the third division for 5 years and are rubbish at playoffs, you're a decent cup team though." (unless we do win them this year!)

The kit we play in doesn't create history or make United who they are, it's what we do on the pitch that does that.

When in said bar, if you had a proper red & white striped blades shirt on rather than this new one you'll be buying, they wouldn't need to ask ;)

Think you're missing my point. You said nothing wrong with breaking with tradition. Changing colour is breaking with tradition is it not? My question is simple - would that change in tradition be acceptable? If not, what level of change Iis acceptable?

Personally I think any variation at all on red and white stripes is fine. Pinstripes, thick stripes, red and white halves, even a diagonal stripe a la Peru would be fine by me. I also liked both blue away kits and wouldn't have an issue with an even lighter blue on an away kit.

[QUOTE="Blade for Sale, post: 735207, member: 9973"different for me ally I think any variation at all on red and white stripes is fine. Pinstripes, thick stripes, red and white halves, even a diagonal stripe a la Peru would be fine by me. I also liked both blue away kits and wouldn't have an issue with an even lighter blue on an away kit.[/QUOTE]

I bought and wore the blue away kit. Away kits are different to me and provide options to "play" with various designs and colours (within reason - no making us play in our rivals kits of course). I just like to be able to see our stripes when I'm watching the team at home. I also hated the diamonds kit and the Bob Hatton Ajax thing.

I quite like how the shirt looks. My main gripe is that our badge was changed with no consultation with the fans. And it's not even our 125th anniversary, next season is our 126th. It's a cynical marketing ploy that's designed to appeal to those who buy the most new shirts - rich fair weather fans and younger fans with short attention spans and no sense of tradition who want one for their birthday and for school next term. Fahion-conscious wankers are a target market too.

No one can present a logical argument as to why we should wear this kit in our 126th season as there isn't one.

People say that those who like it "shouldn't be so negative" as it's "only for a season" but it sets a worrying precedent. Did they not think it would be a good idea to put a few alternative designs (I'm sure there were alternatives) online first and gague reactions?

If they can do this, they can also introduce any kit they like next year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of us winning the FA Cup or the 110th anniversary of us winning the league. There are plenty of other anniversaries coming up, especially if you see the 126th anniversary as a significant one.

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/sheffield-united-adidas-2346989.aspx

"The new look strip for next season was unveiled to fans at today's game against Port Vale to mark the culmination of the club's 125th anniversary activities.

The one off design created by adidas is a modern interpretation of the first recognised Sheffield United strip from the turn of the 1890s and also includes the first identified club badge.

Primarily white, the retro style celebratory shirt features red pinstripes, a collar with press studs and the familiar three stripes of our official technical kit supplier. The shirt will also be worn with red shorts and red socks.

Retail Manager Lisa Crossland said "The 2014/15 kit has seen phenomenal success in the Blades Superstore and we are sure that fans will be just as excited about this historical shirt."

Like the kit. Now I get the badge.

(Assuming this isn't a sinister and devious pack of exploitative misdirection and outright lies.)

Wow.

Just wow.

What a thread, started reading this earlier and am only just through it.

Let's be honest the shirt is lovely, it really is. I also think its a nice touch that the club are using a shirt and badge from the history books.

I imagine they wanted us to play in it this season as its the 125 season but it wasn't to be. Loads of people liked the retro shirt that was on sale last season and if you rewind 12months, this is the kit that we were expecting back then.

Its always going to divide the fans something like this, as did the diamond shirt and the blue away shirt (ironically that blue shirt is one many fans love).

Its only for 1 season, what's it matter. The reason people are pissed is because none of us were around when the kit was out the first time around.

Maybe in 100yrs all the new cool kids will be ranting because we've just announced that we're releasing a luminous away shirt to commemorate the one worn in our 100th year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffi...media/File:Sheffield_United_Sqaud_1890-91.jpg

1890-91 season... look what we're wearing.

Its a nod to our heritage, and the fact we are the original United. And instantly the haters scream out saying "its not United!!". It is. Go into the Legends of the Lane or ask big Johnny Garrett to show you the original shirt it is based on. Unlike many, I do actually know and care about the history of our club,and we have not always played in Red & White Stripes from day 1.

It seems that everything the club are doing both on and off the field is instantly dismissed as being "crap".One bad run,and we want another manager firing, the kit is shit , I couldn't get a pie at half time - what next? Fire the programme seller as he didn't have change for a tenner? Demand the closure of A Salt & Battered because you had to wait for a fishcake?

Some of our supporters are beginning to really annoy me. Their negativity and pedantry is forever finding new ways of fuckwittedness week on week. The constant demands for instant success, and almost instant condemnation when their armchair punditry is the benchmark for how the club should be run shows a lack of understanding about the game,and life in general.

We are where we are for a reason. And if we scrape our way into the playoffs and up, so be it. If we play ugly football,and get a result - so be it.Arsenal and Leeds won a championship like that. We are in League 1 - we are not Los Galacticos. People say it was better in the past, but in the last 35 years we've had a succession of bent chairmen and board members, and managers so far out of their depth, Jacques Cousteau needed an aqualung to communicate with them. And you'd prefer us to go back to all that?

Let's man up, grow a pair and stop whining. If everything in your world is that depressive and black, have some prozac, for christ's sake!

Pretty much spot on and I knew from mock ups on here last summer of a similar version I knew what kit it was meant to represent. Shows how little some folk know or can be bothered to find out about the club they support.

I like that kit and thankfully it's the first time in a while that the sponsor looks half decent on the shirt as well. We are lucky John Holland have decided to rebrand because we would be in another how do I iron that off situation.

Thick stripes, thin stripes or even pin stripes but it's still red and white that is what matters most.

I quite like how the shirt looks. My main gripe is that our badge was changed with no consultation with the fans. And it's not even our 125th anniversary, next season is our 126th. It's a cynical marketing ploy that's designed to appeal to those who buy the most new shirts - rich fair weather fans and younger fans with short attention spans and no sense of tradition who want one for their birthday and for school next term. Fahion-conscious wankers are a target market too.

No one can present a logical argument as to why we should wear this kit in our 126th season as there isn't one.

People say that those who like it "shouldn't be so negative" as it's "only for a season" but it sets a worrying precedent. Did they not think it would be a good idea to put a few alternative designs (I'm sure there were alternatives) online first and gague reactions?

If they can do this, they can also introduce any kit they like next year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of us winning the FA Cup or the 110th anniversary of us winning the league. There are plenty of other anniversaries coming up, especially if you see the 126th anniversary as a significant one.
I'm actually going to buy this not because I'm a rich fair weather fan who buys a lot of shirts, but because I can only afford a shirt every few years and don't want to spend money on a dog-ugly red and white striped number that I'd never wear if it had no Blades badge. The regular home strips, while I love seeing on the team in action, are not for me. I'm personally a little more reserved and don't like to dress loudly so red and white stripes are not me at all. With this in mind, there are very few home kits I would choose to spend my money on. This one is just about cool enough for those not wanting to look like a barbershop quartet while sinking a cold one on holiday.

Primarily white, the retro style celebratory shirt features red pinstripes, a collar with press studs and the familiar three stripes of our official technical kit supplier. The shirt will also be worn with red shorts and red socks
)

Im confused (easily done) dint somene post on here yesterday the club (or Jim) had clarified that it will be black shorts and socks?

Back
Top Bottom