2 loans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Given going down will cost us at least £170m and the existing £130m investment in the "potential" of the current squad is never going to be realised as they will forever be associated with the "worst PL of all time". It does sound like a weak commercial decision by HRH. Loaning 2 £100k a week upgrades for 6months would be £5m - with the carrot of effectively saving £300m. It maybe a struggle for players commanding such wages to risk it, but with the lure of the Euro's who knows.

I know it's been said, but Hamza Choudhury is apparently available on a permanent from Leicester.

He's exactly who I'd like us to bring into our midfield. Athleticism, bite, good reader of the game, presence. He'd be really handy at bossing the middle of the park next season too. Could even replace Basham in the defence when needed.

We ain’t signing anyone I reckon.

Won’t be long until the words “we’ll go with what we’ve got” are muttered.
think that decision may have already been made by the prince

Given going down will cost us at least £170m and the existing £130m investment in the "potential" of the current squad is never going to be realised as they will forever be associated with the "worst PL of all time". It does sound like a weak commercial decision by HRH. Loaning 2 £100k a week upgrades for 6months would be £5m - with the carrot of effectively saving £300m. It maybe a struggle for players commanding such wages to risk it, but with the lure of the Euro's who knows.

I dare say that if we had another 6 points or so on the board, HRH & Co. may be more willing to open up the purse strings to see if we can bring in a real difference maker or two for the remainder of the season to see us safe. As it is, despite our win last night (which I'm delighted with as is everyone else), we have 5 points after 18 games and are about to play three title challengers/Champions league chasers on the spin. There is a very real possibility that after 21 games, we will have 5 points and have very little prospect of surviving. Given that, I would say the better commercial decision is, on balance, to hold back significant funds for the summer where they will likely be needed to hold on to better players/bring others in, to attempt a promotion push.

The odds are that any spending now solely aimed at surviving would be 'wasted'. As much as it pains me to say it. If we can win 1 of our next 3 in the league then perhaps I'll change my tune but our current position, as we all know, is pretty desperate as regards staying up.

Is there anyone at Stoke that CW is/has been after?

Norrington-Davies as a make-weight? Cos its an odd move halfway through a season long loan......

Following on from my earlier post stating that the board may have decided to 'stick' and in light of the last two results, the conversation this morning may be something like this:-

The Board: Morning Chris. Good result last night. Erm, sorry about disturbing you, but we were just thinking, is there anything we can do to help you to get you over the line?
CW: Bloody hell, make your f**k**g minds up or piss off!!!

I dare say that if we had another 6 points or so on the board, HRH & Co. may be more willing to open up the purse strings to see if we can bring in a real difference maker or two for the remainder of the season to see us safe. As it is, despite our win last night (which I'm delighted with as is everyone else), we have 5 points after 18 games and are about to play three title challengers/Champions league chasers on the spin. There is a very real possibility that after 21 games, we will have 5 points and have very little prospect of surviving. Given that, I would say the better commercial decision is, on balance, to hold back significant funds for the summer where they will likely be needed to hold on to better players/bring others in, to attempt a promotion push.

The odds are that any spending now solely aimed at surviving would be 'wasted'. As much as it pains me to say it. If we can win 1 of our next 3 in the league then perhaps I'll change my tune but our current position, as we all know, is pretty desperate as regards staying up.
Agreed with the thinking, but if we brought in a Delph/Costa type proven PL performers who can make a difference in those next 3 games now - the chances at those 9 points will significantly increase- still for the same £5m.

We ain’t signing anyone I reckon.

Won’t be long until the words “we’ll go with what we’ve got” are muttered.

I get that impression or it is a case of someone has to leave first before we can get someone in.

So you have given up then.
I don't get this don't waste money on players now, we have to give it ago we obviously need players we can't even name a full bench.
Yes we are playing 3 teams at the top in the next few games but once they are over we won't have to play them again but other teams at the bottom will.
I still think we are better than WBA, Burnley & Brighton.
Yes its one hell of a mountain to climb but lets at least give it a good go.

Due to the squad being paper thin with injuries, I feel we need more additions just to compete for the rest of the season, more than anything. What if we get more injuries or suspensions in midfield for example?

With an eye on next season, and probably in the league below, can't we at least be looking at 1 or 2 decent championship midfielders??

We're in a bit of a weird period. Prior to the Newcastle game, spending anything on loans just felt like chucking money away when it could potentially be saved and used next year as we attempt to re-build. Now, loans feel like a bit more of an option, although our priority positional signings (LCB, a midfielder) seem like shifting a bit after last night's performance and the fast recovery of JOC.

Hamza Choudhury for me would be a priority loan signing. We could cover his wages (which Spotrac puts at <10k a week) and he'd provide depth and competition for the spot at the base of the midfield. When Berge returns from injury, have him focus on competing with Lundstram for the RCM slot. We looked great last night but it was against one of the league's weaker sides, and bringing Choudhury in for games where we expect to have less of the ball would add a new dynamic.

We're in a bit of a tough spot when it comes to making signings, particularly if we try and get anyone permanent.

Top end Championship players won't fancy it because unless we claw ourselves towards the rest, they'll want to stay put in case they get promoted. Lower down, are there many options who could hack it (clue - nobody from Forest or Derby please!)

We're in a bit of a weird period. Prior to the Newcastle game, spending anything on loans just felt like chucking money away when it could potentially be saved and used next year as we attempt to re-build. Now, loans feel like a bit more of an option, although our priority positional signings (LCB, a midfielder) seem like shifting a bit after last night's performance and the fast recovery of JOC.

Hamza Choudhury for me would be a priority loan signing. We could cover his wages (which Spotrac puts at <10k a week) and he'd provide depth and competition for the spot at the base of the midfield. When Berge returns from injury, have him focus on competing with Lundstram for the RCM slot. We looked great last night but it was against one of the league's weaker sides, and bringing Choudhury in for games where we expect to have less of the ball would add a new dynamic.
choudray is a good shout and other posters have advocated him as well just feel we need an attacking midfielder with goals in em as well

As good a player as Choudhury is, does he really provide what Utd are desperately short of i.e. more attacking threat and creativity from midfield? Norwood, Ampadu and Lundstram can all play CM, but only Lundstram covers RCM.

He remains the only attacking threat from mid, although Fleck is starting to look a bit more like himself - the lack of goals from midfield really needs to be addressed if Utd are going to have any chance of getting out of the current mess.

The that a reason that we don't score many goals isn't just down to the strikers, but also sits with the midfield. We sit too deep (and maybe that because of the flaky defense or confidence or CW says so)

Whichever, we need to improve the attacking qualities of the midfield. If we say Berge is the future, what is his best position? That needs answering before we start looking at midfielders.

Personally, i thing Berge sits at RMF, and therefore the position we need is a beast of a central midfielder. A leader, someone who can win the ball, ping a ball, drop a shoulder and take a player on and also score a goal (Michael Brown esk)

Pushing the boat of with the likes of Amadou Haidara or Joe Willock, or on the cheaper home grown option like Joe Allen or Lewis Cook

However I would love to see either Fabian Delph or Emiliano Buendia both with contrasting offers.

So you have given up then.
I don't get this don't waste money on players now, we have to give it ago we obviously need players we can't even name a full bench.
Yes we are playing 3 teams at the top in the next few games but once they are over we won't have to play them again but other teams at the bottom will.
I still think we are better than WBA, Burnley & Brighton.
Yes its one hell of a mountain to climb but lets at least give it a good go.

Broomhall Blade I accept that there is a valid counter argument to mine, but my argument is far less about 'giving up' and a lot more about an 'on balance' view from the perspective of HRH and the board. As a fan, it almost goes without saying that if an opportunity to bring better players in exists, I want to see it happen.

Therein lies the problem; as a fan I can want/hope/demand for more money spent and more players brought in without it having any real world impact on the club.

I think we also need to acknowledge that the board have sanctioned significant spending (for us) during our time in the Premier League. They will have their reservations about CW's ability to spend money wisely given our dramatic regression in performance and points this year and that is fair enough.

Something we can probably agree on: win against Spurs at the weekend and it really will make things interesting.

Broomhall Blade I accept that there is a valid counter argument to mine, but my argument is far less about 'giving up' and a lot more about an 'on balance' view from the perspective of HRH and the board. As a fan, it almost goes without saying that if an opportunity to bring better players in exists, I want to see it happen.

Therein lies the problem; as a fan I can want/hope/demand for more money spent and more players brought in without it having any real world impact on the club.

I think we also need to acknowledge that the board have sanctioned significant spending (for us) during our time in the Premier League. They will have their reservations about CW's ability to spend money wisely given our dramatic regression in performance and points this year and that is fair enough.

Something we can probably agree on: win against Spurs at the weekend and it really will make things interesting.
We've spent significant money, but it was necessary. Still seeing a lot of criticism for Wilder's signings, but I've not heard many better suggestions than the players we signed, or reportedly wanted, aligning with the necessary wage and transfer budget (bearing in mind the club barely has a scouting network).

I don’t know if anyone is watching Atalanta v Cagliari - but we ought to buy Cagliari’s goalie.
Now!

We've spent significant money, but it was necessary. Still seeing a lot of criticism for Wilder's signings, but I've not heard many better suggestions than the players we signed, or reportedly wanted, aligning with the necessary wage and transfer budget (bearing in mind the club barely has a scouting network).

Oh I wouldn't argue it wasn't necessary, it absolutely was. Regardless, money spent is money spent - we all know that we have very limited funds by comparison to most others in the Premier League. Arguably, there is greater pressure on CW & the team to get it right because we idon'thave the luxury of writing off millions of pounds and trying again. My point being that personally, I would understand if the board took the view that releasing further significant funds in this window is throwing good money after bad.

I'm also fully aware of the restrictions and challenges we have in recruiting at Premier League level and I do like to think of myself as a fan that can see further than the end of my nose. I personally wouldn't call any of our summer signings failures because I wouldn't judge a player in a single season. The likes of Brewster and Lowe may well be United stalwarts in the next few seasons for all we know today, playing a starring role in a successful side. Let's hope so.

That being said (and to return to the main thrust of my posts in this thread); from HRH & the board's point of view, they will be disappointed that for the outlay this season, we've performed as poorly as we have (for the most part, I happen to think we haven't actually been as bad as the points tally suggests). Regardless of whether you or I agree/disagree about the effectiveness of our recruitment, you'd surely agree with that?

Oh I wouldn't argue it wasn't necessary, it absolutely was. Regardless, money spent is money spent - we all know that we have very limited funds by comparison to most others in the Premier League. Arguably, there is greater pressure on CW & the team to get it right because we idon'thave the luxury of writing off millions of pounds and trying again. My point being that personally, I would understand if the board took the view that releasing further significant funds in this window is throwing good money after bad.

I'm also fully aware of the restrictions and challenges we have in recruiting at Premier League level and I do like to think of myself as a fan that can see further than the end of my nose. I personally wouldn't call any of our summer signings failures because I wouldn't judge a player in a single season. The likes of Brewster and Lowe may well be United stalwarts in the next few seasons for all we know today, playing a starring role in a successful side. Let's hope so.

That being said (and to return to the main thrust of my posts in this thread); from HRH & the board's point of view, they will be disappointed that for the outlay this season, we've performed as poorly as we have (for the most part, I happen to think we haven't actually been as bad as the points tally suggests). Regardless of whether you or I agree/disagree about the effectiveness of our recruitment, you'd surely agree with that?
Yep you make a well rounded point.

I would caveat that by saying it's the key men from last season that have been the big issue. New signings were supposed to compliment the existing team... Unfortunately half of our heroes have had a mare this season.

Colley signing a new contract for sampdoria is a bummer. Would have been a brilliant loan to buy for £11m.

Back
Top Bottom