Search results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1. wardonia_blade

Last KICK of the game goals this season

I'm sure us older Blades will remember a critical last minute equaliser at QPR in the 70-71 promotion season. Laughing Ted Hemsley from memory. Hopefully an omen.
  2. wardonia_blade

Blades 1 Dynamo Kiev 2

Yashin certainly not involved in this game. I have asked before if Yashin has ever played at the Lane but no answer received. Anyone?
  3. wardonia_blade

Blades 1 Dynamo Kiev 2

Thanks for this detail silent. I missed it when first posted. I notice a couple of the newspapers refer to Dynamo Kiev as "Russians". There is some good footage of Blokhin on You Tube.
  4. wardonia_blade

Blades 1 Dynamo Kiev 2

In these difficult times for the people of Kiev, I would like to post a reminder of when their wonderful football team, Dynamo Kiev, visited the Lane for a friendly in February 1972. Ukraine was part of the USSR at the time and Dynamo were the best team in their league, a league which included...
  5. wardonia_blade

When Did Away Ends Start

Thanks - Any more detail ?
  6. wardonia_blade

When Did Away Ends Start

On Wednesday, the Hull fans will be in the lower tier of the Bramall Lane end. The Blades fans will be in the other parts of the ground. This segregation will be a major factor in crowd control and safety. This segregation of fans is not organisational rocket science. However, for a large part...
  7. wardonia_blade

Best way to compare this season and 1975-76

I understand that Len Badger, when asked what went wrong in 1975-76 compared to 1974-75 said something along the lines of: We were slightly lucky in 1974-75. We won some games that we probably should not have won. However, we were bringing in lower league players and if you do that then that is...
  8. wardonia_blade

10 Memorable Night Matches at the Lane

Great. Will look forward to that.
  9. wardonia_blade

10 Memorable Night Matches at the Lane

The Cardiff game, listed in the OP, was 50 years ago this week.
  10. wardonia_blade

Fulham 1 United 0 - match report and pod

Great report as always. Jags, Ampadu and Bryan v Salah, Mane and Firmino reminds me of Andy Keeley and John Matthews v Rush and Dalglish in 1978. But we won that one, so you never know.
  11. wardonia_blade

Man Utd 1 Blades 2 - report / pod

Re the discussion point, I can see Chelsea going for Henderson. Despite an outlay of £100m, they haven't adequately replaced Courtois IMO. Also I was at the last win at Old Trafford in 1973. Went on the train and didn't see another Blade all day. I recall that Eddy and Badger were great, the...
  12. wardonia_blade

Cup Tarts

This could refer to the 0-2 home defeat to Crawley, a game which made my list of the 10 worst ever night matches, posted a few years ago.
  13. wardonia_blade

Blades 1 Newcastle 0 - report and pod

Thanks for these reports. Week in, week out. A phenomenal effort. You said a few weeks ago that, firstly, we needed to stop the rot. Agree. Last night was the first indication that we have moved into this phase.
  14. wardonia_blade

Championship

The club's history supports your argument. We have been relegated from the top league to the 2nd league 7 times. The quickest we got back was 3 seasons in the Currie era. The average return is about 7.5 seasons. We have only bounced straight back from any relegation twice. Porterfield (div 4...
  15. wardonia_blade

Maradonna RIP

Agree mate. Not many get the ball in their own half in the World Cup Finals and score. Twice.
  16. wardonia_blade

Bournemouth now looking at compensations

Law 5 - Decisions of the referee (extract) Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the spirit of the game and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws...
  17. wardonia_blade

Imagine we hadn't been relegated....

if we had stayed up Warnock would have gone, Jags would have gone, Robson would have been appointed and we would have gone down the following season. Also, there has always been an unchallenged assumption that, had West Ham been properly punished, that we would have been the beneficiaries. My...
  18. wardonia_blade

United 2 Villa 0 - report/podcast

Re the gloves, when we were in the premier league under Warnock, every team that we beat had a player wearing gloves.
  19. wardonia_blade

Roy's View From... Pre-Match View From Burnley

One of the biggest away crowds I can remember at the Lane. sections of the South stand were given over to Burnley. Quite a contrast when we played their local rivals Blackburn at the Lane in the 6th round replay later that year, with very few Blackburn fans in attendance. In reaching 3 FA Cup...
  20. wardonia_blade

Achieving Premier League Sustainability - Take 4

This year was the 4th promotion to the top league in my time as a blade, and, therefore, the 4th attempt at achieving top league sustainability. By this I mean becoming established, a ten-year run in the league, challenging for trophies and winning one at long last. Sustainability was not...
  21. wardonia_blade

Newcastle at home. 4 December 2019

if someone offers him an extra fiver he'll be gone by 4 December.
  22. wardonia_blade

An evening with Gary Neville

Following the Burnley model is fine. Provided you can accept relegation next season, because that's what Burnley achieved in their 1st season. But they didn't panic, didn't sack a good manager and have subsequently been rewarded for this.
  23. wardonia_blade

Who will be the first.............

Tony Currie was on once. The mystery guest was shown playing cards and TC guessed that it was Stan Bowles, well known for his gambling. United were on Quizball, the predecessor to Qos in the 1960's. Our celebrity player was Dame Isobel Barnett, who had no association with the club whatsoever as...
  24. wardonia_blade

United 18/19 season review / school report - part 6 - fans/awards

Many thanks for these reports and reviews. In my 55 seasons, easily the best blades journalism that I have encountered. I like the Green-un style of putting the scorers in capitals. One moment that sticks out for me was Middlesboro making progress down the right hand side through a series of...
  25. wardonia_blade

PSG in for David De Gea

At first I thought it said pigs in for David de Gea.
  26. wardonia_blade

Think Liverpool

Spurs will be after the Wolves manager.
  27. wardonia_blade

Think Liverpool

In my time as a Blade I believe I am correct in saying that we have won as many times at Anfield (1965, 1968, 1994) as they have won at the Lane (1965, 1972, 1990). Suspect there aren't many clubs that can say that.
  28. wardonia_blade

Look north

Halifax Town, apparently.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom