Search results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1. LSF

Corruption.

Pot kettle black 🤣
  2. LSF

Paddy Buckley

Paddy also gave back to the game long after he retired professionally. Played and managed in local football for a successful Sunday league team, Olive Grove.
  3. LSF

SUFC Goalkeepers - Can you name any I’ve missed?

Richard Foulkes, great grandson of Bill Foulke(s). Never signed pro forms, on books as amateur.
  4. LSF

SUFC Goalkeepers - Can you name any I’ve missed?

Barry Gordine - late 60's.
  5. LSF

Tony Field

Yep, I can confirm that being told to me by one or two others from within the club
  6. LSF

Stuart Hutchinson RIP

Incredible memories Toledo! Born and bred just across the road from the Ball Inn, I'd spent all my young years watching every game played on there. Northern Intermediates, Hatchard league, Sheffield Boys, school finals, they were all played on the Ball. I had encyclopedic knowledge of players...
  7. LSF

Stuart Hutchinson RIP

Pretty sure I remember who you are. CP? The bit about GK or centre forward convinced me. You'll not remember me but I trained on the Ball Inn Tuesdays and Thursdays for a few months whilst they assessed the potential (I hadn't any!) and was also a GK and CF so kinda looked up to you. I ended up...
  8. LSF

Stuart Hutchinson RIP

United fielded a team in the Hatchard league for many years. It was the lowest league in what was known as senior football. Most of the works teams had sides in this league and the standard of your ground was one of the deciding factors of being elected to the league. No parks pitches. Junior...
  9. LSF

Stuart Hutchinson RIP

Were you a keeper?
  10. LSF

Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

Really sorry to hear that. Watched Stuart many times on the Ball Inn and thought he had a good chance of making it with his all action up and at em style. Alas it was not to be. RIP Stuart.
  11. LSF

Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

Good question. I'd hazard a guess at a youth tournament abroad that the club undertook very often back in those days.
  12. LSF

Stadium Development

1962 FA Cup 6th round v Burnley, thought attendance for that was 57,000, wall collapsed on Kop. Was there that day.
  13. LSF

100% Rival Distribution

Ok, I'll let you have the last word, but to say Sheffield has never been a hot bed of mining is a bit of an insult to me and many other ex miners in Sheffield. Hence the evidence I've provided.
  14. LSF

100% Rival Distribution

I worked in the industry for ten years at a pit equi distant between Sheffield and Rotherham, many Sheffielders at our pit. Throw in Brookhouse at Beighton, Orgreave at Lower Handsworth and then other post war pits within the Sheffield boundary - Handsworth Nunnery, Sheffield Nunnery (near what...
  15. LSF

100% Rival Distribution

Think you're a bit wide of the mark with that statement.
  16. LSF

When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

My life history of Green'un waiting for van to arrive - From about 5 years old to 20 Paper shop on Myrtle Rd. 20 -24 Woolhouses, corner of Ann's Rd and Alexander Rd. 24 - 32 Paper shop at 95 bus terminus, Intake. 32 - until they ceased. Charnock News (Geoff's) Absolute ritual and read...
  17. LSF

CONFIRMED Ben Brereton Diaz signs on loan

I should think Wilder, Knill, Lester et al are well aware of Brereton's capabilities. Despite his unhappy time in Spain, I think they can resurrect his career in the UK, so can't really agree with zero scouting. The know already what he's capable of.
  18. LSF

CONFIRMED Ben Brereton Diaz signs on loan

What exactly is 'lazy scouting' ??
  19. LSF

Norwood’s Shirt

Same as you Sitters. Some of the bilge that masquerade as 'fans' on here leave me cold. 😕
  20. LSF

Frank Barlow and Geoff Salmons

Dennis was a porter at Middlewood Hospital in his day job. Unimaginable these days isn't it! Hospital porter during the day, 1st division footballer at weekend ( albeit as you say Hodgy, only on rare occasions). Amongst us fledgling footballers he was feared for his ruthless approach, but like...
  21. LSF

I too, trod that path in the quest to make a living from the game, and like you wasn't offered a contract. I can concur that Dennis Finnegan was one hard bloke. He held nothing back in what passed for 'training' and was feared and respected in equal amounts by all who trained on the Ball Inn...
  22. LSF

Me too, youth football was tough, but thrown into blokes football at 16/17 was err.... character building shall we say 🙄. Certainly never came across Fred at Red Rose level type football, but think (as Silent Blade says) Fred was turning out at Friendlies League/Bible Class league stuff...
  23. LSF

Not sure Fred was playing for Red Rose in early 70's. He was approaching 50 by then, and Red Rose were still a top side locally having just made the leap from Sheffield Amateur League into the old Hatchard league (1st step on senior football ladder).
  24. LSF

Punting it upfield to a 5’8 striker

Superbly put. Where we are in a nutshell. Some people on here simply don't like us.
  25. LSF

1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

A day I'll never forget Silent! My dad died suddenly that day. As usual, I got up to do my morning paper round ( I was 15 years old), my dad, always an early riser, asked me what I wanted for breakfast when I got back. Last words I heard him speak. When I got back (20 mins later), he was...
  26. LSF

1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

I wrote a summary in Flashing Blade some years ago about the post match experience at Anfield, surrounding our efforts to get back to the coaches (in one piece!).
  27. LSF

Guess the Ex United Player from a more recent photo game.

You are indeed correct Hodgy, the ball hit me after squirting across the turf from a full blooded Richardson/Ray Yeomans clash, my face stuck through the terrace rails stopped it dead 😂 The Leyton Orient match was another of my early memories not only because of the debuts of Len and Bernard...
  28. LSF

Tony was a good player, but believe me, he got a fair share off stick on a regular basis.
  29. LSF

Tony's debut against Middlesbrough in April 1961 coincided with my first time at Bramall Lane. I remember my dad telling me about this 17 year old who was going to be a great player in years to come ... Alas, as in the case of many young lads, Tony's professional career, whilst long and steady...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom