Search results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1. L

Rules - Another them vs us debate.

I remember it from my Great Grandad saying it, when I was a lad. He was born in 1904, worked down the pit and then at Hadfields steelworks…and lived on the same street in Darnall as ex-Blades player Bill Brelsford…when Bill was still playing. How things have changed…
  2. L

Some pretty facile replies on this thread. If people truly believe that the rules are being applied even-handedly by officials in the Premier League, then there are clearly plenty who - as they used to say in Sheffield - “are happy to stand for t’ egg under t’ hat”.
  3. L

Judging by this season’s officiating, Wolves and Forest certainly appear to have done something to upset the powers-that-be. I’ve never felt that Man City get the same favouritism as the other ‘Big 6’ clubs, either, but when your players and manager are as superior as theirs are, you can negate...
  4. L

I don’t believe that it is even about the ‘size‘ of clubs - in the traditional sense as perceived by most football supporters - but rather, it is more nuanced. It is a question of whether you are in ‘the Club’ - namely, ‘the Premier League club’ with its many facetted support structure in PGMOL...
  5. L

Match Thread Liverpool v. Sheffield United - 4th April 2024

This squad and the realities revealed by this season has had an effect on me, that in the past I would have thought unthinkable. There is a United match on telly that I have available to view, but I‘m not going to bother. Clubs like Liverpool may as well be playing a different sport to us, now.
  6. L

Liverpools GD

If we allow Liverpool to have 20 to 30 shots at goal - as we have been doing with many opponents this season - there is a chance that this one will be a record defeat.
  7. L

Match Thread Sheffield United v. Arsenal - 4th March 2024

Reported as 29,980, although on the basis of how full the Lane end upper tier was - which tends to be a good guide - I thought it was a touch higher than that.
  8. L

Match Thread Sheffield United v. Arsenal - 4th March 2024

Ticket sales appear to be marginally ahead of what they were for the Brighton match - might just creep over 30,000 for this one. Plenty of spaces on the Kop, though, which isn’t surprising at £42 for an adult ticket…to see us get pasted.
  9. L

Triple Assault DVD.

I do, but never mind that, I still have my VHS player with it in a spare room too… Otherwise, how else would I be able to revisit these video cassettes…
  10. L

Would you have McCabe back over the prince?

It is a difficult question. They have both been absentee owners - albeit, McCabe did at least fly in from Brussels on a regular basis on match days - which invariably creates the conditions for an organisation to drift aimlessly in times of challenge like the present. The current owner has...
  11. L

Where has our fans passion gone?

At the risk of inviting the ‘accusation’ of ‘Bladey Bladeness’ or a similar banal trope, the revival of the club from 2016, felt all the more special with Unitedites as Chairman, Manager and Team captain. It felt, as Wilder said, that the club was ‘together’. For me, irrespective of opinions...
  12. L

Season ticket available

I already have conflicting appointments that are preventing me attending the Arsenal, Fulham and Burnley, and am not really that bothered about the fact. Just need to arrange some things to clash with the Chelsea, Forest and Spurs games now…
  13. L

When are the players going to be held accountable?

In all of my time watching United, this side is down there with the side that got relegated from the Championship in 2010/11, under 4 different managers, for being utterly lacking in fight, heart and pride. And, i saw the side that was relegated to Division 4 in 1980/81. That side was...
  14. L

Wilder / Holgate

Quite. Dyche even said the signing was ”a good deal for the club [Everton]“ before it had even been signed and sealed. They were laughing at us even when we still had a chance to swerve the deal.
  15. L

Wilder / Holgate

I recall watching the Gaffer’s press conference prior to the Crystal Palace fixture, and it was apparent that Wilder believed that the deal that Wilder thought the club was about to ‘get over the line’ was the lad from Forest. I have little doubt that Holgate was further down the list of...
  16. L

Roy's View From... View From Luton

Sitting deep and being prepared to concede possession is a pretty astute way of playing against Luton. They aren’t an especially creative side - to put it mildly - and they are highly unlikely to pick you apart with intricate passing. Their strength - literally- is the power and pace that they...
  17. L

Attendance vs Villa (before the mass exodus)

You may well be right. We’re averaging 30,504 across the first 12 home games but it is clear - since the killer defeat to Luton - that approximately 2,500 tickets in the Bramall Lane upper and on the south side of the Kop, are now going unsold. The fact that the West Ham and Villa fixtures were...
  18. L

When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

Still got my copy but over the years the green has been bleached from the paper… Here is the centre pages ‘Match Report’ spread… Interesting to note on the ‘United page’, Bassett had spotted Efan Ekoku playing in non-league at Sutton United. Harry hoped that he’d done a deal but, as was...
  19. L

When the Green Un was the most important newspaper to us

When we lived on Norton Lees Road, I used to get to the ‘paper shop’ on Derbyshire Lane - used to be the last shop down the hill before you reached Cliffefield Road - around 5.45pm. The Green ‘Un was never going to arrive that early but it became customary to be in place in the shop and to pay...
  20. L

Can't remember such media ridicule?

Quite. Burnley are getting off remarkably lightly - presumably because Kompany is a member of ‘the Premier League Club’. Strip out the game at Turf Moor, which brought the curtain down for Hecky, and there is barely a cigarette paper between United and Burnley’s records in their 22 matches...
  21. L

Predict the crowd for tomorrow

Tends to be the case for cup matches because, with tickets no longer being reserved for season ticket holders to get their usual seat, we now find that groups of fans that sit together for league games tend to get split up and dispersed all other the ground. The centre of the South Stand where...
  22. L

Predict the crowd for tomorrow

Ticket sales suggest that the South Stand will be pretty full with c.6,000 in it and just empty seats around the edges; John Street will be half-full with 3,000 in; and the Kop will be pretty sparsely populated with perhaps only 3-4,000 in. In particular, very few seats have been sold at the...
  23. L

Weather for West Ham Sunday...

Certainly do. The number of home tickets sold looks to be the lowest of the season so far. Plenty of scope as we’re going through the motions in the remaining 9 home fixtures for the gates to fall off further too, with the dubious delights of Brighton, Burnley and Fulham to come.
  24. L

Blades v Luton - Boxing Day matchday programme

I don’t have a spare but, if the club shop don’t have any spares, try ignitionsportsmedia.com. Whenever I’ve missed one, I’ve always managed to get one from them.
  25. L

54 years ago today

5 shillings on the Kop…
  26. L

Match Thread Sheffield United v. Brentford - 9th December 2023

Highly likely that it’ll be flat tomorrow - no atmosphere whatsoever. Unfortunately, irrespective of the division we’re playing in, United fans are always going to struggle to muster much enthusiasm for a fixture against Brentford. Ticket sales suggest that the gate tomorrow will be the lowest...
  27. L

McAtee - I would genuinely like to hear how anyone thinks this isn't a penalty

VAR was that utterly useless chinless turd, Michael Oliver - the Big 6’s friend. One of the very worst of an incredibly poor set of referees that we currently have, and he’s been screwing us over on a regular basis ever since he allowed Madine and Reda Johnson to assault Simonsen for the Pig’s...
  28. L

Marseille v Ajax

Watched the game - out of interest in seeing how Ndiaye is getting on - and what was glaring, was that where as in United’s team, everyone invariably looked to get the ball to him whenever possible, now his team-mates never pass the ball to him. Ndiaye was constantly on the move, trying to find...
  29. L

Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

Afraid not, Silent. I have the programme for the fixture but no action photos.
  30. L

Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

What a season to keep a scrapbook of…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom