Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When the ball is played in for their equaliser, both Coutts and Norwood are marking fresh air. Millwall have 4 players on our 6 yard line with only 3 marking. The spare man (Cooper) scores.

Neither are defensively minded. With 10 men it cost us yesterday.....though hindsight is wonderful.

UTB

When you look back at the Villa game at Bramall Lane, Norwood and Fleck absolutely bossed that game and Whelan and the highly rated McGinn, barely got a touch until we declared at 4-0. Fleck was buzzing about and making those driving runs at the defence and Norwood was orchestrating things with his superb passing. Since then, Fleck has been a peripheral figure in a lot of games and Norwood has been nowhere near the standards he set in his first 6 games or so.

I don't think Coutts is ready, he still looked off the pace and his control seems to have deserted him - whether that's because he's still recovering or because he's basically not getting enough game time, I don't know. He was excellent when he came on in the game at Blackburn earlier in the season but appears to have regressed.

Duffy has been getting a lot of criticism lately, but he's still the most likely to create something and what a lot of people seem to miss is how hard he works off the ball. There was a good example on Saturday where he lost the ball a few yards outside their box (to jeers from the Blades fans), Millwall broke away and when the cross came in, it was Duffy who was there at the back post to tidy up. Never goes missing either - always wants the ball, which is invaluable to your team-mates.

When you look back at the Villa game at Bramall Lane, Norwood and Fleck absolutely bossed that game and Whelan and the highly rated McGinn, barely got a touch until we declared at 4-0. Fleck was buzzing about and making those driving runs at the defence and Norwood was orchestrating things with his superb passing. Since then, Fleck has been a peripheral figure in a lot of games and Norwood has been nowhere near the standards he set in his first 6 games or so.

I don't think Coutts is ready, he still looked off the pace and his control seems to have deserted him - whether that's because he's still recovering or because he's basically not getting enough game time, I don't know. He was excellent when he came on in the game at Blackburn earlier in the season but appears to have regressed.

Duffy has been getting a lot of criticism lately, but he's still the most likely to create something and what a lot of people seem to miss is how hard he works off the ball. There was a good example on Saturday where he lost the ball a few yards outside their box (to jeers from the Blades fans), Millwall broke away and when the cross came in, it was Duffy who was there at the back post to tidy up. Never goes missing either - always wants the ball, which is invaluable to your team-mates.
I think our midfield look mentally tired, I have mentioned this before we rarely seem to dominate the midfield like we were earlier in the season, we have patches, the odd times this year where we have been driving on the front foot has come from some injustice and the fans have got the team going, down to Chris and Alan to sort it out and quickly

The £3 Programme man is faster up the Kop steps than Lundstram is over 10 yards!

Coutts is no more deserving of the whip than the rest of them. In fact a few times after the red card players (including most notably McGoldrick) could have triggered counter attacks to get us up the pitch having received the ball short of half way - Coutts was the only one not to squander possession straight back to Millwall and put us under the cosh. He cooly kept the ball and played the most intelligent pass which led to us taking the ball all the way to the corner flag and getting us out from under our cross bar.

What did us in the end were enforced subs and the 11 left on the pitch not having a scooby do tactically how to see that game out.

The fact you thought we had 11 men on the pitch at the end tells me all I need to know about your observational skills ;):D

So, even if Coutts 'can't run', I'd gave him in there as I have no doubt that he has a better football brain.
Unfortunately it is limited to when he has the ball and only from ten yards outside our box and 20 yards before the oppositions box and does not read the game when he does not have the ball. Cannot tackle and his close down technique is non existent.
Unfortunately that has always been the case but some have only in S2 red and white specs.

We lost it the moment billy sharp left the pitch, an example of how a real leader can influence events through charisma and presence as well as by direct involvement

I honestly don’t know what some people watch sometimes. Coutts clearly has lost his mobility to get about the pitch like he used too, that surely can’t be argued but seems like some are.

He never shut one man down and when you play where he does it’s imperative that you do it. Even before the sending off they were getting more balls in and around the box and this was down to not shutting them down anywhere near enough. I blame Wilder for bringing him on, not Coutts.

Lundstram should be on the bench instead of Coutts, we can’t have players on the pitch who are playing no where near full pelt at this crucial stage of the season.

Anyone suggesting Coutts at this point of the season needs to be playing instead of Norwood or Fleck need to stay off the medicine. There’s some embarrassing comments regards Norwood and Fleck, two players who have played huge parts in a season where we’ve played some of the best football in most of our lifetimes.

By all means give Coutts a pre season and see what happens but it’s not advisable for a club that isn’t flush with money unless it can be done pretty cheap.

Oh and Marvin Sordell can fuck off, the cunt didn’t even get booked. :mad:

We lost it the moment billy sharp left the pitch, an example of how a real leader can influence events through charisma and presence as well as by direct involvement
How many times was sharp offside?.....
Some will say that Sharp went too early every time but I think it’s more a case of Billy anticipating a through ball that should have been played
quicker and we are just not keeping up with his reading of the game

Looks like joining Salford City
They lie 5th in the table, be wonderful for him to get some success

wonderful footballer, oh to have a fully fit cooooots now
He is better than that but I can see they are on an upward trajectory and if he feels his time is up at Fleetwood, so be it.

Whatever the case, GLTTL.

UTB

Looked like he was running it at Fleetwood on Quest highlights.

Quality midfielder. Another promotion towards the end of a great career would be the icing on the cake.

GLTTL.

I don't know how he's been performing for Fleetwood but he has been starting for them.
You'd think he'd be an excellent signing for Salford.

What a player he was for us. That midfield was incredible at times.

Would love a fully fit Paul Coutts in this side. An absolute Rolls Royce of a midfielder.

(and who'd have thought we'd have been saying that after his season under Adkins?!)

All the best to him. Think this is a great move.

As an earlier post said, I wonder how his career had have panned out if he hadn't suffered that horrific leg break at Burton...

Could do with a 2016 Paul Coutts right about now!

All the best to him. Think this is a great move.

As an earlier post said, I wonder how his career had have panned out if he hadn't suffered that horrific leg break at Burton...

Could do with a 2016 Paul Coutts right about now!

He was a great player for us for a couple of years but his tackling was on a par with Ollie Norwood's and his mobility was arguably worse. Like Norwood, he was a real Rolls Royce when we dominated games, but I fear his reputation would have been completely trashed this season.

It is understandable that people look back to times of success, but a Coutts style player in the PL would need two very fast hard tackling water carriers around him.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play against Harrogate Town tomorrow night. It was horrific for him and ruined our chances of promotion that season.

Sadly Jack O'Connell's injury this season is having a similar impact for Jack but a worse impact for the team

He was a great player for us for a couple of years but his tackling was on a par with Ollie Norwood's and his mobility was arguably worse. Like Norwood, he was a real Rolls Royce when we dominated games, but I fear his reputation would have been completely trashed this season.

It is understandable that people look back to times of success, but a Coutts style player in the PL would need two very fast hard tackling water carriers around him.

That pretty much describes the first two goals against Fleetwood last night. Couttsy is leisurely chasing his man, doesn't get a foot in, slows down, and the next thing the ball is in the net. Second goal, Couttsy gets the ball, dawdles a bit too long, gets tackled, loses the ball, ball in the back of the net.

Like you say, he was a great player for us, and for a brief moment in time, Coutts, Fleck and Duffy ("the holy trinity" as we used to call them on here), were pretty much head and shoulders better than any other midfield we came up against.

Couttsy is in the number 15 shirt.

Quest highlights last night?, where Fleetwood lost 3-1 to MK Dons?

I thought Coutts was partly to blame for the first two goals against them.
Haha TBF i watched it last night but was falling asleep by that point. Saw him play a nice vertical pass. Can't remember the MK goals at all!

Haha TBF i watched it last night but was falling asleep by that point. Saw him play a nice vertical pass. Can't remember the MK goals at all!

Yeah I watched it on Quest +1, so an hour later, and I was tired. I wasn't watching closely until the second goal and then thought "hang on, that looked like Couttsy" and checked what number shirt he wears, and yep, it was him.

Watched the highlights again today, just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Yeah I watched it on Quest +1, so an hour later, and I was tired. I wasn't watching closely until the second goal and then thought "hang on, that looked like Couttsy" and checked what number shirt he wears, and yep, it was him.

Watched the highlights again today, just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
I can guarantee that whenever I see him in the highlights it'll be through rose tinted lenses anyway! Also they're always very brief highlights so hardly a reflection of his overall contribution.

I don't really want Salford to progress any further I don't think... So I'm conflicted if he goes there!

Back
Top Bottom