Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's an interesting guess bornablade. I was born and lived on Gatefield Road until I got married.
I don't think its Gatefield Rd - the front walls seem too low. But I'm intrigued why you chose it.

I've not walked up Gatefield Road for many years but have driven on Abbeydale Road many times. The wrought iron on the bay windows just struck a chord.

I googled Gatefield Road Sheffield images and a photo did appear although it may be one of those that isn't that actual location.

The photo was dated 1909.

Not a Blades related thread, but this was the most appropriate one I could find. Some years ago I bought a load of glass negatives at a Sheffield auction. These appeared to be from the Edwardian era (around 1900 - 1910). They are all family shots, including weddings, but I've not been able to trace the people on the photos. Here's one which might give a clue. Can anyone recognise this house (or street)? I'm not even sure that it is in Sheffield, but it could well be. It's a terraced house on a steeply sloping road. The bay window may be a clue, being of stone, not wood, and it has the curved tops to the windows. Also the house is built of stone, not bricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 76313
I'm thinking it's not Sheffield, as the wall cappings are rounded, most of the Sheffield housing of that period seem to have angular cappings.
As an aside, I was brought up in a Victorian semi near commonside that still had its railings, every other house on the street had had them removed for the war effort.

Not a Blades related thread, but this was the most appropriate one I could find. Some years ago I bought a load of glass negatives at a Sheffield auction. These appeared to be from the Edwardian era (around 1900 - 1910). They are all family shots, including weddings, but I've not been able to trace the people on the photos. Here's one which might give a clue. Can anyone recognise this house (or street)? I'm not even sure that it is in Sheffield, but it could well be. It's a terraced house on a steeply sloping road. The bay window may be a clue, being of stone, not wood, and it has the curved tops to the windows. Also the house is built of stone, not bricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 76313

My money would definitely be on Walkley for this .

We have some friends who have lived in the same house there for over 50 years and the front elevation of their property is almost a replica of the one in the photo , even down to the small balustrade above the bay window .

Whilst on the subject of Walkley , some on here will be old enough to remember that in the early '70s there was a serious proposal , which had a lot of support within the City Council and which reached a fairly advanced stage , to demolish approximately two thirds of it to make way for a number of flat developments based on the Broomhall and Kelvin models and plans were drawn up for them .

I think it fair to say that most cities in England produced schemes at the time which proved to be an embarrassment but few were as ill conceived , badly built and downright ugly as those two monstrosities which thankfully were both demolished within less than 30 years of being built .

We should be thankful to those at the time who campaigned against this act of civic vandalism and who were successful in preventing it from going ahead .

My money would definitely be on Walkley for this .

We have some friends who have lived in the same house there for over 50 years and the front elevation of their property is almost a replica of the one in the photo , even down to the small balustrade above the bay window .

Whilst on the subject of Walkley , some on here will be old enough to remember that in the early '70s there was a serious proposal , which had a lot of support within the City Council and which reached a fairly advanced stage , to demolish approximately two thirds of it to make way for a number of flat developments based on the Broomhall and Kelvin models and plans were drawn up for them .

I think it fair to say that most cities in England produced schemes at the time which proved to be an embarrassment but few were as ill conceived , badly built and downright ugly as those two monstrosities which thankfully were both demolished within less than 30 years of being built .

We should be thankful to those at the time who campaigned against this act of civic vandalism and who were successful in preventing it from going ahead .

It does have a feel of Walkley or Crookes about it. From other photos I have identified the property as no.26. Also it may be a cul de sac. There is one more house to the left and then an open space with a large building beyond. See pics.Scan.jpegScan 1.jpeg

One more old picture. Of this one there is no mystery. It's a hardware shop at 395 Ecclesall Road. I checked on it a few years back and I think the shop had been combined with the one next door, to the right, and opened up into one large shop. The items in this shop give a fascinating insight into how life was around 110 years ago. Being within range of Bramall Lane, perhaps the owners were Blades...

.Scan 2.jpeg

DirtyLeeds Arms in South Anston got a makeover about 1980, from tatty village local to go-to pub for the local yoof just as I was coming to drinking age.
Crap Trophy, variable Castle Eden but spot on Queens Ale, albeit not always on.
Actually the Trophy could be that thin sometimes that it needed half a bottle of barley wine to pep it up.

My uncle worked from Lady's Bridge as a tanker driver (for the big pubs and WMCs).
Pulled up outside our house a few times and the 'dregs' from that day's delivery were superb. Even as a spotty teenager, it was difficult to believe how good the beer was straight out of the brewery and how poor it could be in the local pubs.
I used to be in charge of the tanker drivers out of Lady's Bridge, what as his name?

One more old picture. Of this one there is no mystery. It's a hardware shop at 395 Ecclesall Road. I checked on it a few years back and I think the shop had been combined with the one next door, to the right, and opened up into one large shop. The items in this shop give a fascinating insight into how life was around 110 years ago. Being within range of Bramall Lane, perhaps the owners were Blades...

.View attachment 76382
All stunning pictures each one of them. What a pity the descendants don't know of them. Well done for saving them from the skip.

The ghostly apparition in the front room window actually shat me up a bit.

It reminds me of the Crookes area, around Forres Road.

It reminds me of the Crookes area, around Forres Road.

My Mum was brought up on Salisbury Road and although the bay windows look familiar and they originally had iron railings, the houses on that road had attic windows, plus it was flattish, so I assumed it wasn’t there.

Forres Road might be a possibility, it’s certainly a proper slope down to Crookes.

My Mum was brought up on Salisbury Road and although the bay windows look familiar and they originally had iron railings, the houses on that road had attic windows, plus it was flattish, so I assumed it wasn’t there.

Forres Road might be a possibility, it’s certainly a proper slope down to Crookes.
Forres Road has wooden bays, not stone bays, although I suppose they could've been changed out (though I don't know why you'd do that). The houses just don't look the same.

Put me out of my misery - I am wanting to go to bed soon, and won't sleep if I don't know...
Apologies HBT. As you and I are approximately the same age and with your pashun for the goalkeeping fraternity, my intention was to put a smile on your face.
He was always in the football annuals of the day I remember and when he came to the Lane in 53/54 it was pointed out to me to watch him. I had been playing in goal for school for the two previous years.

2nd picture looks like where St.Wilfrids centre is? Is first picture bottom of Myrtle rd, opposite Earl of Arundel? I'd be 14 at the time but have no recollection of that building at all despite not living far away!
Yes it is. It's unclear on the photo, but the building was named something like "Havelock (Bridge) House". I've recently found out that "Havelock" was Sir Henry Havelock, a commander who died in the Siege of Lucknow 1857, just before this area was built.
On one old map I've seen this house is labelled as a hotel, although I suspect the label should be for the Earl, as you say, opposite.

Back
Top Bottom