Blade scores goal on 10 o'clock news

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
I nearly choked on my cocoa (OK, whisky) watching the BBC news this evening. On the election report, there was an item on the marginal seat at Bishop Auckland, and as part of the decline of the place, they went back to the Amateur Cup final of 1957, which used to be a major event at Wembley with huge crowds, and they showed a goal scored by Bishop Auckland. The scorer looked very familiar, and a Google search soon confirmed that the scorer was none other than Billy Russell, who went on to become a key member of the Utd team in the late 50s/early 60s. He is best remembered by those of us of a certain age for scoring a hat-trick in the first 20 minutes of a sixth round cup-tie at Newcastle. I had completely forgotten that he played for Bishop Auckland, but he is instantly recognisable in the film. Not that I would recognise half the players from the last 10 years (current squad excepted)

I nearly choked on my cocoa (OK, whisky) watching the BBC news this evening. On the election report, there was an item on the marginal seat at Bishop Auckland, and as part of the decline of the place, they went back to the Amateur Cup final of 1957, which used to be a major event at Wembley with huge crowds, and they showed a goal scored by Bishop Auckland. The scorer looked very familiar, and a Google search soon confirmed that the scorer was none other than Billy Russell, who went on to become a key member of the Utd team in the late 50s/early 60s. He is best remembered by those of us of a certain age for scoring a hat-trick in the first 20 minutes of a sixth round cup-tie at Newcastle. I had completely forgotten that he played for Bishop Auckland, but he is instantly recognisable in the film. Not that I would recognise half the players from the last 10 years (current squad excepted)
get ta sleep yer owd twat good night pal

I saw that and a couple of things crossed my mind. First of all how old the players looked ie old, when they were probably early to mid twenties. Secondly, they’d just won the Amateur Cup and their kits were pristine and they weren’t sweating or with a hair out of place.

Bishop Auckland Football Club also helped out Manchester United after the Munich Air Crash in 1958 by donating three of their players, Derek Lewin, Bob Hardisty and Warren Bradley. In return in 1996, Manchester United played a friendly against Bishop Auckland to help raise money when the club was threatened with bankruptcy.

The village of West Auckland is notable for having been home to the team to win one of the first international footballing competitions, the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, sometimes referred to as The First World Cup. Its team of local coal miners won the cup in the Easter of 1909 and again in 1911, defeating the mighty Juventus in the final.

0.51 but the goalie manages to battle through. In other words barges half the team out of the way😀

The size of the crowd for an amateur match !!!!!!

Imagine my disappointment when i didn't read an article where Moose dummies George Alagiah to slip the ball into into an empty makeshift net of TV monitors for goalposts........

0.51 but the goalie manages to battle through. In other words barges half the team out of the way😀

The size of the crowd for an amateur match !!!!!!
Goalies had it tough then. Opposition players were pretty well free to batter them as they wanted, and they had to get in their retaliation first. But they were a tough breed - Bert Trautmann on Man City played the last 20 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck, and the following year the ManU keeper had his cheekbone broken in an assault by Villa's Macparland, which would have seen him prosecuted nowadays, but which did not even merit a yellow-card (having his name taken as it was known then). He managed to come back on for some of the second half.

I saw that and a couple of things crossed my mind. First of all how old the players looked ie old, when they were probably early to mid twenties. Secondly, they’d just won the Amateur Cup and their kits were pristine and they weren’t sweating or with a hair out of place.
See post 6 for film, which shows that it was a decent game. They probably look fresher than modern players because defenders defended, mid-fielders stayed in mid-field, and forwards attacked. A heat map of a game from the 50s would be interesting to see. As for the hair, it looks like a mix of the wonders of Brylcreem and baldness.

Russell's goal at 0:25

yes, but if you rewind back to 0.10 you’ll see that Hardisty looks marginally offside before releasing the pass that puts him through. The goal would never have stood in today’s game - and as for the crowd going immediately wild with celebration - ridiculous! Far too premature!

Goalies had it tough then. Opposition players were pretty well free to batter them as they wanted, and they had to get in their retaliation first. But they were a tough breed - Bert Trautmann on Man City played the last 20 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck, and the following year the ManU keeper had his cheekbone broken in an assault by Villa's Macparland, which would have seen him prosecuted nowadays, but which did not even merit a yellow-card (having his name taken as it was known then). He managed to come back on for some of the second half.
Barging into keepers were banned after Lofthouse's barge on Gregg in the 1958 FA Cup final.

I have just found the match programme in my beautifully organised (?) collection. We used to get Cup Final programmes in advance by post from Wembley (3d postage) to add to the excitement of live football on tv. There is a good picture of Billy Russell on the team photo, and an added bit of local trivia: Bishop Auckland beat Norton Woodseats 1-0 at home in the first round.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom