We ARE Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
I know its been done to death that everyone seems to just calls us Sheffield. I corrected my Polish colleague on Saturday and then on the same day my Italian boss as I was wearing my Blades Polo top for work that we're "Sheffield United"
This week Klopp and Silva called us Sheffield and Arielle Free on Radio 1 (yep, i'm down with the kids) just gave a shout out to someone travelling to see Liverpool v Sheffield.

Understandably for many fans, they won't have heard of Sheffield FC and of course, for all fans under 19/20 years old, the only Sheffield side they've seen in the Premier League is Sheffield United. So perhaps we should just get used to it this season.

We're representing Sheffield, the only team in Sheffield in the Premier League. To outsiders we are Sheffield... To Blades we're United.

I've always thought that it should annoy Wednesday fans more than it should annoy us.

I think as far as people are concerned, were the only club in Sheffield (or at least the only one worth mentioning), hence there's no need to distinguish the two - this pleases me 😈

It’s something that has never particularly bothered me. In fact quite the opposite, we know the city is ours and so does everyone else. The more outsiders refer to us as Sheffield, the more people realise the other lot are totally insignificant. I have never heard anyone refer to them lot as Sheffield.
The city is ours, the city is red and white.

I don’t mind it at all really. Always cringe a little bit when I see United fans correcting others for it.

The way I see it is that whenever anyone mentions Sheffield anywhere in the world, the first team they think of will be United. The fact we’ve got in to the Premier League at this point means we have potential to blow Wednesday out of the water in terms of a global brand and presence should we become an established PL team. We already have the slight advantage of being in the Premier League once before in this millennium.

Wednesday will be a big club in England but no one will have heard of them outside. We will be much more than that if we spend a few years up here.

Yes it's a sign just how much the city is ours. I kinda like it. Certainly think its the pigs who should be bothered alongside Sheffield FC fans!

Not sure it's just a case of youngsters or people abroad who can't remember the pigs being in the elite either. One of sky's co commentator ex players called us that all the time too.

I know its been done to death that everyone seems to just calls us Sheffield. I corrected my Polish colleague on Saturday and then on the same day my Italian boss as I was wearing my Blades Polo top for work that we're "Sheffield United"
This week Klopp and Silva called us Sheffield and Arielle Free on Radio 1 (yep, i'm down with the kids) just gave a shout out to someone travelling to see Liverpool v Sheffield.

Understandably for many fans, they won't have heard of Sheffield FC and of course, for all fans under 19/20 years old, the only Sheffield side they've seen in the Premier League is Sheffield United. So perhaps we should just get used to it this season.

We're representing Sheffield, the only team in Sheffield in the Premier League. To outsiders we are Sheffield... To Blades we're United.
Radio 1,really?
Shitwasp indeed.

I think we should actively embrace being called Sheffield as this means that we are recognised as THE Sheffield team. This pleases me immensely, and I know for a fact that it it really pissing off some of the grunters I know. They are really hurting at the moment, and the Sheffield tagline given to us in the media right now, just twists the knife in their sides even more. It must sting... Ha ha.

So what do they say when we are playing Wednesday in the cup, Sheffield v er Sheffield?

The problem for me is that say Wednesday played Man City in the FA Cup, the media would be calling them Sheffield.

So we haven’t claimed the name of Sheffield or anything, it’s just that the media are idiots!

The problem for me is that say Wednesday played Man City in the FA Cup, the media would be calling them Sheffield.

So we haven’t claimed the name of Sheffield or anything, it’s just that the media are idiots!

It's just amateurish by the media though. They should earn their corn and gell up on the facts before they commentate. I mean cmon, how hard must it be for them to do a bit of homework beforehand and from that, start referring to them correctly as the 'South Barnsley Pigs'. I could even allow them to refer to them as 'The Olive Grove Grunters'. Those wankstains didn't even add Sheffield to their name until 1929.

We on the other hand are either United, Blades, or I can accept Sheffield too. UNITED, THE TRUE CLUB OF SHEFFIELD.

I've always thought that it should annoy Wednesday fans more than it should annoy us.

I think as far as people are concerned, were the only club in Sheffield (or at least the only one worth mentioning), hence there's no need to distinguish the two - this pleases me 😈

Agree, love it when they call us Sheffield, completely invalidates Wednesday.

I don’t mind it at all really. Always cringe a little bit when I see United fans correcting others for it.

The way I see it is that whenever anyone mentions Sheffield anywhere in the world, the first team they think of will be United. The fact we’ve got in to the Premier League at this point means we have potential to blow Wednesday out of the water in terms of a global brand and presence should we become an established PL team. We already have the slight advantage of being in the Premier League once before in this millennium.

Wednesday will be a big club in England but no one will have heard of them outside. We will be much more than that if we spend a few years up here.

They're not even the biggest club in Barnsley, that goes to Leeds.

I’m surprised that not many people see it for what it is - a complete lack of respect by the media and other managers. I heard Liverpool’s German manager repeatedly calling us Sheffield yesterday at his press conference. Once of the worst offenders is the Newcastle manager, despite managing both Sheffield clubs, but not Sheffield FC......

The most annoying bit for me is when they call Man U "United" rather than ourselves, but on the flip side it does rather emphasise that we are the only club in Sheffield, something we all take for granted anyhow.

Well, there is only one team in Sheffield, so it's what we should expect.
Why confuse things with the irrelevants in S6.

Do Bristol City and Bristol Rovers have this problem?

I am ok with being called Sheffield in the media, they are Wednesday etc
Man United will always be called United as they have a massive history and one of the biggest clubs in the world
So we could be called worst without a doubt

I am ok with being called Sheffield in the media, they are Wednesday etc
Man United will always be called United as they have a massive history and one of the biggest clubs in the world
So we could be called worst without a doubt
I've heard warnock call us sheffield numerous times on talk sport but he was probably eating brazil nuts

Reactions: BV
I’m surprised that not many people see it for what it is - a complete lack of respect by the media and other managers. I heard Liverpool’s German manager repeatedly calling us Sheffield yesterday at his press conference. Once of the worst offenders is the Newcastle manager, despite managing both Sheffield clubs, but not Sheffield FC......
Cus he's a fat cunt.

Correct. And also other fans.

Personally I hate it. I don't give a fuck what Wednesday are doing or how they're regarded by others, so the idea of it meaning that we are representing Sheffield at their expense is nonsense. I care about us and our identity though, and "Sheffield" is not what we are.

Besides, it's hugely disrespectful to the oldest club in the world and it's disgraceful how few people know about the history of our game. We don't do enough as a city to educate people on the roots of the game, in my opinion. If Manchester had invented football, every cunt and their dog would know.

When we refer to Bristol City as "Bristol" (and we do) it's obvious we're referring to City and not Rovers as the latter don't count for anything. Same here, what's the problem?

Back
Top Bottom