Sky, BBC etc. pundits.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but how can a club be the first sport club to use United but not the first football club?
Because we were a cricket club for many years before we started the football team. In between us starting as a cricket club and starting as a football club several football clubs formed that were called xxx United.

I used to get annoyed at pundits calling us 'Sheffield' but now it just seems natural. I mean, we are the only club in Sheffield so why not?

We’ve only have ourselves to blame for being out of the limelight too long. It’s not really Man Utd’s fault either. When we call our clubs “United” it is meant as an endearing term, so the impartial pundits and journalists shouldn’t really be calling any team “United.” But MU have been media darlings for years and nobody has really challenged the TV and radio types up until now. I have noticed on talkSPORT since our promotion, many presenters have quickly corrected themselves when they’ve referred to the Mancs as United.
But unfortunately with the rise of Man City the media do like to use the City/United reference for Manchester in a similar way to Celtic/Rangers for Glasgow.

And that's what it's all about - media darlings who have been allowed to appropriate a name. Referring to one of the biggest football clubs in the world (Manchester United) as 'Newton Heath' is as inaccurate as calling the women's game 'football' or, when our birds play Australia at cricket 'The Ashes'. ;)

We’ve only have ourselves to blame for being out of the limelight too long. It’s not really Man Utd’s fault either. When we call our clubs “United” it is meant as an endearing term, so the impartial pundits and journalists shouldn’t really be calling any team “United.” But MU have been media darlings for years and nobody has really challenged the TV and radio types up until now. I have noticed on talkSPORT since our promotion, many presenters have quickly corrected themselves when they’ve referred to the Mancs as United.
But unfortunately with the rise of Man City the media do like to use the City/United reference for Manchester in a similar way to Celtic/Rangers for Glasgow.
Except that Celtic and Rangers are their actual names. They don't have Glasgow in there.

I think we're probably ok to call ourselves the first United? Just leave out the "football club" bit. Sheffield United Cricket Club (the first United) formed a football section and for many years we were Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club. I remember that on the lapel badges in the 1960s.

Really crap first post IMO.
Got shedloads of answers though.
If I had been a voyeur for yonks I'd have gone for a way better losing my virginity offering.

I'd have gone for the jugular on Pinchy or even loads of fuck off speling misteaks.

They could solve the problem by calling us the original United and calling them the copyright breakers

Another interesting discussion about us on Talksport last night.

Click the link below and choose Monday’s night “Press Box” on at 1900 whilst 2200.
Choose the slot 19.00 to 19.30 and they are discussing us from 7.40 to 16.30.

Danny Kelly presents the show and he’s with Simon Jordan and Newcastle supporting Shaun Custis (Sun journalist)
Simon Jordan has never been our biggest fan...he’s actually mentioned once or twice over the years he prefers Sheff Wednesday as a club
Although he did say it had something to do with their name, he’s said there’s a romanticism with Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday because of the name. They are the only Villa, Forest, Wednesday in the league. Where as there are plenty of a United’s and Citys..

However he’s consistently raved about Chris Wilder saying “this guy is special”, he’s always bigging up Wilder and his methods.
Jordan hates pampered privileged players and loves Wilders honest robust style where he demands 100% effort otherwise you don’t play.
He‘s said if he was still a Chairman he’d be exactly the type of manager he‘d appoint and prefer to work with.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1581361200/

Last edited:
No, because we’re not. We’re the world’s first sports club to use the name ‘United’ but not the first football club. That was Hannover United, based on the sports ground near Dukes Meadows in Chiswick and now called ‘Polytechnic’. So we’re the oldest club still called United.
Sheffield United are the first League club to be called United. And a now defunct Sheffield club called United Mechanics was founded before Hannover United. So one way or another Sheffield proves itself again as the home of football.

Can't wait for a pundit to call our neighbours their proper name
"proper smelly rustic oinkers", but alas due to PC brigade and the RSPCA that will be insulting to the acutal four trotted beasts...to clarify i mean the real ones.... yes i do mean the real ones........

oh...wait

1581439156524.png

just for clarity.....

Can't wait for a pundit to call our neighbours their proper name
"proper smelly rustic oinkers", but alas due to PC brigade and the RSPCA that will be insulting to the acutal four trotted beasts...to clarify i mean the real ones.... yes i do mean the real ones........

oh...wait

View attachment 71271

just for clarity.....
Smug looking fucker that one. I bet that was just after Joao scored.

Two minutes later
5751FE92-ECFE-4855-99DE-A4CB63054A8A.jpeg

Sky Sports News gave us quite a bit of coverage this morning. Unfortunately much of it featured Steve McClaren giving his expert insights. He was analysing our style of play & reckons we are successful because of our direct attacking style with balls over the top. They then showed several clips of our goals this season showing slick passing down the flanks with the overloads we create & not one single long, direct ball over the top. Don’t get me wrong though cos he was being complimentary but he seemed to be bull shitting his way through it as if he couldn’t actually work our style out at all. At least he didn’t try to do it in a cheesy Sheffield accent.

Apologies if this has already been posted. First item.

Blades cut loose, seven-goal thrillers and scheduled tweets – Football Weekly

Sky Sports News gave us quite a bit of coverage this morning. Unfortunately much of it featured Steve McClaren giving his expert insights. He was analysing our style of play & reckons we are successful because of our direct attacking style with balls over the top. They then showed several clips of our goals this season showing slick passing down the flanks with the overloads we create & not one single long, direct ball over the top. Don’t get me wrong though cos he was being complimentary but he seemed to be bull shitting his way through it as if he couldn’t actually work our style out at all. At least he didn’t try to do it in a cheesy Sheffield accent.
I watched this "analysis" earlier today as I had a rare day off work. As you say, Schteve seemed to think that our style of play was to hit long direct passes over the heads of the defenders to make them face their own goal. He also stated that our attacks consisted of early crosses at every opportunity and that set piece goals our a key part of our success due to our "three giant centre backs" and "two six foot centre forwards. Clearly he has been watching a different team to me all season as none of our centre backs has scored this season and Mousset, Billy and Robbo are all under six feet. He looked to me like Peter Cooks football manager character, Alan Latchley, repeating pointless phrases over and over. Still got his stupid hair island as well.

I watched this "analysis" earlier today as I had a rare day off work. As you say, Schteve seemed to think that our style of play was to hit long direct passes over the heads of the defenders to make them face their own goal. He also stated that our attacks consisted of early crosses at every opportunity and that set piece goals our a key part of our success due to our "three giant centre backs" and "two six foot centre forwards. Clearly he has been watching a different team to me all season as none of our centre backs has scored this season and Mousset, Billy and Robbo are all under six feet. He looked to me like Peter Cooks football manager character, Alan Latchley, repeating pointless phrases over and over. Still got his stupid hair island as well.
I’m guessing one of the pointless phrases would be “social loafing” that he repeated about 10 times. Even worse was Rob Wotton who creamed himself every time MacClaren said it. Is it just me that finds Wotton a bit weird with his creepy stares into the camera when his guest is speaking & his suits that look like they’re borrowed off someone else & have the coat hanger left in ?

Social Loafing - that was the phrase I was trying to remember. It must be management speak for lazy fucker.

I’ve noticed that many of the pundits are now giving us praise but the over used phrase is “they work so hard”
Apparently no other team in the known universe can work harder than Sheffield United and no other club has fitter players.
Then how come when we played Liverpool at Anfield...they were physically stronger and outworked us.

Liverpool, Man City and Barcelona are unbelievably hard working.....wonder why the media don’t use that discription for them?

First posting, but I have followed the board for years. Is it just me or do others find it irritating when media pundits and journalists refer to Newton Heath f.c. as “United” ? I find this insulting to Newcastle, West Ham (!?) Rotherham Oxford etc etc. Most of, though, to the original United, SUFC. Thinking about it, Norwich have the same issue with Citeh.

Quick before you build up your posts and likes, check the spelling of your username ffs I sure there’s a couple of vowels missing, I’m the dyslexic on here.
Evvvvveeerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom