Memries of Everton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
It’s over twelve years since The Blades met the Toffees in a league match, although our latest game was a second round Carling (League) Cup defeat at Goodison Park on 24th August 2011, where Danny Wilson’s League One Blades succumbed 1-3.

For a lot of Blades fans, their earliest recollection of Everton was the 1966 FA Cup Final on 14th May, 1966 between Everton and Wednesday. Despite being 2-0 up, Wednesday conspired to lose 3-2! On the day after the match (Sunday 15th), Wednesday proved that prescriptions of Deludamol in S6 were still around back then by having the first-ever ‘victory homecoming’. As a callow eleven-year-old, my parents had taken me to visit a weird pair of ‘uncles’ and ‘aunties’ (didn’t we all have them back then?) who kept a chippie just off Middlewood Road. I went down to watch the swine claim a pyrrhic victory and I shouted summat like ‘Fuck Wednesday!’ and ‘Up the Blades!’ before beating a hasty retreat.

Fast forward to 1970 and we all gathered round the ‘tranny’ on Monday lunchtime to hear the FA Cup Third Round draw at King Teds. The gobshite Wednesdayites were jubilant when the Blades were drawn at home to soon-to-be First Division champions Everton on 3rd January. 0-1 down at half time, John Harris’s Blades won 2-1 (Gil Reece and Colin Addison).

Everton (and Hans Segers) were implicated in the amazing events on 7th May, 1994 when results on this last day of the season saw the Blades (and two other ‘disposables’ – Oldham and Swindon) relegated from the Premier League:

I’ve been to see the Blades a few times at Goodison Park, but my favourite came on February 23, 1991. This was the season (1990-91) when United went until the 17th game in the top-flight without a win until Dave Bassett’s team beat Nottingham Forest on December 22. After that, we only lost 6 games for the rest of the season – including a seven-game winning streak. We won 2-1 at Goodison that day (Glyn Hodges and Brian Marwood) and ended the season in 13th place – the last day of the season seeing us beating Norwich 2-1 at home, with the roof of the old kop removed.

April 19, 1975 and the Blades came from 0-2 down at half-time to win 3-2 (Eddy, Dearden, Currie) and end The Toffees’ title ambitions. The Blades would finish the season in sixth place in the top-flight, but this great team was coming to an end. The next season (1975-76) would see Ken Furphy’s Blades finish rock-bottom of Division One:

21st October, 1972 and the Blades lost 0-1 at home to Everton after having a goal disallowed. This was in the days before VAR and when linesmen were allowed to overrule referees. The Everton team included Joe Royle, Howard Kendall and scorer Alan Whittle:

Recent-ish games against Everton:

1568782777538.png

Full history Sheffield United v Everton

Full League Record v Everton:

Home: P: 60 W: 26 D: 21 L: 13 F: 87 A: 65

Away: P: 60 W: 16 D: 9 L: 35 F: 67 A: 119

Continued>>>

Premier League Table:

United’s home defeat to Southampton last Saturday and Everton’s patchy early-season form sees both teams around mid-table at this early stage:

1568783095338.png

Full Premier League Table

Form Guide:

Seven points out of the first fifteen for Everton and 5 from 15 for the Blades:

1568783115025.png

Full Premier League Form Guide

Top Scorers:

Last season’s joint top-scorer (13 league goals) Richarlison has made a solid scoring start again this season:

1568783137132.png

Men to Watch:

1568783160808.png

(From left) Richarlison de Andrade was a £50m buy from Watford on 24th July 2018. This Brazilian international has scored 15 league goals in 39 appearances for Everton and six goals in 13 appearances for the national team. Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson joined the Toffees on 16th August, 2017 from Swansea City for a reported fee of £40m. He has scored 17 goals in 68 league appearances for Everton as well as 21 goals in 70 appearances for the Icelandic national team. Dominic Calvert-Lewin was bought from the Blades for £1.5m (!) in August 2016.

The Manager:

1568783217219.png

Marco Silva became Everton manager on 31st May, 2018 having previously managed Watford and Hull City in England. His Everton Win % is 42.6.

August 21st 1971. We had won our first two games of the season against Southampton and Leeds. Next was at Everton and I had to miss the match because I was on a family holiday in Ayr. I hadn't expected to win again to make it 3 out of 3 as Everton the were league champions in the previous year . A late goal by Woodward won the match
20190909_194242.jpg20190909_194255.jpg20190909_194318.jpg

It’s over twelve years since The Blades met the Toffees in a league match, although our latest game was a second round Carling (League) Cup defeat at Goodison Park on 24th August 2011, where Danny Wilson’s League One Blades succumbed 1-3.

For a lot of Blades fans, their earliest recollection of Everton was the 1966 FA Cup Final on 14th May, 1966 between Everton and Wednesday. Despite being 2-0 up, Wednesday conspired to lose 3-2! On the day after the match (Sunday 15th), Wednesday proved that prescriptions of Deludamol in S6 were still around back then by having the first-ever ‘victory homecoming’. As a callow eleven-year-old, my parents had taken me to visit a weird pair of ‘uncles’ and ‘aunties’ (didn’t we all have them back then?) who kept a chippie just off Middlewood Road. I went down to watch the swine claim a pyrrhic victory and I shouted summat like ‘Fuck Wednesday!’ and ‘Up the Blades!’ before beating a hasty retreat.

Fast forward to 1970 and we all gathered round the ‘tranny’ on Monday lunchtime to hear the FA Cup Third Round draw at King Teds. The gobshite Wednesdayites were jubilant when the Blades were drawn at home to soon-to-be First Division champions Everton on 3rd January. 0-1 down at half time, John Harris’s Blades won 2-1 (Gil Reece and Colin Addison).

Everton (and Hans Segers) were implicated in the amazing events on 7th May, 1994 when results on this last day of the season saw the Blades (and two other ‘disposables’ – Oldham and Swindon) relegated from the Premier League:

I’ve been to see the Blades a few times at Goodison Park, but my favourite came on February 23, 1991. This was the season (1990-91) when United went until the 17th game in the top-flight without a win until Dave Bassett’s team beat Nottingham Forest on December 22. After that, we only lost 6 games for the rest of the season – including a seven-game winning streak. We won 2-1 at Goodison that day (Glyn Hodges and Brian Marwood) and ended the season in 13th place – the last day of the season seeing us beating Norwich 2-1 at home, with the roof of the old kop removed.

April 19, 1975 and the Blades came from 0-2 down at half-time to win 3-2 (Eddy, Dearden, Currie) and end The Toffees’ title ambitions. The Blades would finish the season in sixth place in the top-flight, but this great team was coming to an end. The next season (1975-76) would see Ken Furphy’s Blades finish rock-bottom of Division One:

21st October, 1972 and the Blades lost 0-1 at home to Everton after having a goal disallowed. This was in the days before VAR and when linesmen were allowed to overrule referees. The Everton team included Joe Royle, Howard Kendall and scorer Alan Whittle:

Recent-ish games against Everton:

View attachment 61428

Full history Sheffield United v Everton

Full League Record v Everton:

Home: P: 60 W: 26 D: 21 L: 13 F: 87 A: 65

Away: P: 60 W: 16 D: 9 L: 35 F: 67 A: 119

Continued>>>

Seem to recall Alan Cork scoring there in a win in the early 90's? I've watched the 1994 clips enough times over the years and that still ranks as the worst day following United in my book.

I've been to over 700 United matches and about 130 different football grounds and I've never seen Everton play. The home games have always fallen when I've not been able to get to the match, the last time they at the Lane I was in Tenerife, and I even had a ticket to go this weekend but I can't get the time off work.

I call it the Everton Jinx.

My first visit to Goodison Park was in March 1973. Due to arriving late at the ground, my dad and I missed Everton's opener. Jim Bone hit a brilliant equalizer with an angled drive. Tony Currie got his marching orders (see photo below) after fouling John Connolly. Joe Harper got Everton's winner by chesting the ball down before doing a swivel and firing it past McAlister

Untitled.png

17 March 1973 Joe Harper blasts in the winner against Sheffield United

I remember the 1975 game. It was towards the end of the season and that result just about ended the possibility of Everton being champions. They still had a shout at it before that game, along with Liverpool, Leeds and Derby. After that game, many thought we were going to get a European place.

i seem to remember when i was a young lad we drew 1-1 with Everton at the Lane. they scored first and it was still 0-1 at the 90th minute and people started to drift away. i was stood at the top of the kop cherry street end ready to go and we got a pen. all these people came running back in. Woody buried the penalty. was it Everton Silent?? probably around 1974

I remember we played them in the Cup and held them to a draw. In the replay, that Bobby Ball lookalike, whose name cannot be praised, took them apart and we almost beat them at Goodison. He was so good that night we were able to offload him and draw a line under a poor bit of recruitment.

Wasn't that Stoke Bush?
I think the only time we played them at all in the 80's was a two legged League Cup match where we drew 2-2 (Arnott and Edwards???) and we were absolutely mullered at Goodison. We lost 4-0 and the only reason it wasn't 14 was Keith Waugh playing his best ever game and taking them on single handed.
I remember coming home that night thinking I'd never see a worse player than Steve Charles play for the club. Sadly that turned out not to be the case.

i seem to remember when i was a young lad we drew 1-1 with Everton at the Lane. they scored first and it was still 0-1 at the 90th minute and people started to drift away. i was stood at the top of the kop cherry street end ready to go and we got a pen. all these people came running back in. Woody buried the penalty. was it Everton Silent?? probably around 1974
March 1972.

index.php

Cliff Mason on the right wing, think he scored, think we won 1-0.

I was a lad, long time ago. Great away support for Blades, probably the Cup.

The ground was two- tiered all the way round and symetrical and uniform 'tudor' style panelling.

What a day.

Cliff Mason was a bald, bandy legged reserve full-back who had a spell on the wing.

Wasn't that Stoke Bush?
I think the only time we played them at all in the 80's was a two legged League Cup match where we drew 2-2 (Arnott and Edwards???) and we were absolutely mullered at Goodison. We lost 4-0 and the only reason it wasn't 14 was Keith Waugh playing his best ever game and taking them on single handed.
I remember coming home that night thinking I'd never see a worse player than Steve Charles play for the club. Sadly that turned out not to be the case.

The first goal in the 2-2 was a Morris pen.

Edwards put us 2-1 up. He was about 10 yards offside. The highlights are on youtube.

That result looked better at the end of the season after Everton had won the league and Cup Winners Cup and reached the FA Cup final.

Wasn't that Stoke Bush?
Yes it was Stoke , and it was his performance in the replay that led to his his move to Everton I think.

Good riddance meet bad rubbish.

Didn't we beat them in the league in the Bassett era for Howard Kendall got sacked the following day? An ex Blade played for them on the wing and got some stick (Marwood?) although these could be two different games.

Pretty sure Jostein Flo made his debut opening game of season. Big hopes dashed after realising he was poor and was smaller when he jumped than when stood up. Lost but dont recall score.

Cliff Mason on the right wing, think he scored, think we won 1-0.

I was a lad, long time ago. Great away support for Blades, probably the Cup.

The ground was two- tiered all the way round and symetrical and uniform 'tudor' style panelling.

What a day.

Cliff Mason was a bald, bandy legged reserve full-back who had a spell on the wing.
1961 FA Cup 3rd round

Didn't we beat them in the league in the Bassett era for Howard Kendall got sacked the following day? An ex Blade played for them on the wing and got some stick (Marwood?) although these could be two different games.
Peter Beagrie?

Kendall resigned a week before we drew 0-0 at home to them in December 1993

Remember going to Goodison Park in the Bassett era and I seem to remember winning in 91/92 and 93 seemed a very lucky ground in that period. Old fashioned tight ground with a decent atmosphere, let's hope we can replicate one of those results.

Wasn't that Stoke Bush?
Yeah, I’m getting confused. It was Stoke.

Went with my lad to the night game in 2011 ,we parked about a mile from the ground and when we got back the car was surrounded by about 15 lads between 14 and 18. They asked for money for looking after the car ,and when I told them to do one they got threatening ,I had to shove one to get in the car and then drive down a dual carriageway the wrong way to get away as they started booting it. As we got on the main road we saw a Utd supporters bus with the windows put through. just like their neighbouring bastards from across the park the serial victims are the absolute scum of football. Absolutely hate both of them with a passion that only the pigs bring out of me. Scum club ,scum city.

Wasn't that Stoke Bush?
I went to both those games. After we got beat 4:0 at Goodison (night game) we came out of the ground to be greeted be about 100 scouses, I think the eldest was about 12, followed us to the coaches but not quiet brave enough to have a go.

My second visit to Everton was when we lost 2:0 in the Premiership under Warnock.

May 1993, midweek game and our last away game of the season. Goals from Bradshaw and Hodges (his penalty was saved but he scored from the rebound) guaranteed us safety. A few rows in front of me was Chris Wilder (then a Millers player after having left us 10 months earlier) standing on his seat with his mates singing and cheering as much as any Blade!

Watch ya car mister. My Grandad who was Wednesday fan pulling up in his company car and bribing the ferrell kids to mind his car, and the tradition being passed down from every G&J generation.

Back
Top Bottom