Moving players on

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Interesting in Wilders latest interview that he mentions moving one or two players on as that is what we have to do if we are to progress.
I get the impression that these may be established players as opposed to those who have already been listed, but who are the ones likely to be the subject of the cull?

Basham?
Baldock or Freeman?
Stearman ?
Bryan ? Or a season loan?
Fleck, Duffy or Norwood?
Sharp?

Just get the impression he wants to make some more room in the squad

Sounded to me he means players that the club have outgrew. All off the listed players would probably be still here if we were in the Championship still, so I think he's still talking about the listed 4.

Out of the list you put, I can see Bryan going out on loan and maybe Lundstram.

The teamsheet is looking light as it is, he's impressed in pre-season too.

In my opinion, he could be a surprise package in the Premier League this season if he's given the opportunity.

He could be, but we're well stocked in midfield, and he only managed 12 games, a lot of those as subs last season. Nothing against him staying though.

I would only let lundstram go out on loan if we could have him back for two games against the same club- Aston Villa, be great watching Grealish squirm just before he receives the ball

Wilder has already stated Lundstram is integral to the squad. I think in the backs to the wall games against the top teams away from home he will be in the starting 11

Out of the list you put, I can see Bryan going out on loan and maybe Lundstram.

There’s no way Lundstram is being moved on. Wilder’s been fairly clear he expects him to play a part in the squad next season.

There's a few such as Wright, Heneghan, Holmes, Carruthers, Evans, Clarke for starters, all still on the books aren't they ?

Working on 2 per position (some aren't like for like below but for numbers sake.....);

Moore, Henderson ?
Baldock, Freeman
Jags, Egan
O'Connell, Stearman
Stevens, Bryan
Basham
Norwood, Lundstram
Fleck, Morrison
Duffy, Freeman
Sharp, Robinson
McGoldrick, Mousset ?

Osborn ?
McBurnie ?

Presuming all those at the top are moved on, we're probably not far off the sqaud he wants at this stage given we also have a loan to play with so I doubt whether any of the others mentioned would be sold unless they want out.

One thing's for sure, there's going to be 5 or 6 good players who won't even make the matchday squad this season.

Stearman, K Freeman, Duffy and even possably Basham closest to a move of the established long term , Wright, Henegan, Holmes, Carruthers, Chad and Leon the obious short term. Slater to follow Smith on loan.

Stearman, K Freeman, Duffy and even possably Basham closest to a move of the established long term .....

Personally would be very p#ssed off if any of them left , personally think thankfully , none of them will be moved on

remember Chris Lucketti , Del Geary etc all performed admirally in the prem imo and would anyone have thought that before the season

we are here because of these players and management team and the last thing we should is take players out who have got us here and fully deserve their chance

i'm not saying as we progress some may leave but imo no way will it be now

Without any sentiment at all, i believe Wilder will give all those players who worked bloody hard to get the Blades out of the championship, a fair crack of the whip this season. Quite simply they have earned a crack at the top table.
They will get pulled quickly if they're obviously not up to it. Thats the whole point of the retained list.
Anyone on the transfer list will go, or be given the choice of a loan. That's"moving players on".
Wilder sees possibilities for anyone on the retained list, otherwise they wouldn't be on it.
Two final points.
Basham has to stay. He's a quality player and his type of utility is priceless at the top.
The wage bill will have gone up already, with more to come hopefully. Wilder is being prudent by moving players on, not stupid.

There's a few such as Wright, Heneghan, Holmes, Carruthers, Evans, Clarke for starters, all still on the books aren't they ?

Working on 2 per position (some aren't like for like below but for numbers sake.....);

Moore, Henderson ?
Baldock, Freeman
Jags, Egan
O'Connell, Stearman
Stevens, Bryan
Basham
Norwood, Lundstram
Fleck, Morrison
Duffy, Freeman
Sharp, Robinson
McGoldrick, Mousset ?

Osborn ?
McBurnie ?

Presuming all those at the top are moved on, we're probably not far off the sqaud he wants at this stage given we also have a loan to play with so I doubt whether any of the others mentioned would be sold unless they want out.

One thing's for sure, there's going to be 5 or 6 good players who won't even make the matchday squad this season.

By my reckoning our squad stands at the Premier League limit of 25, so presumably we have to move some on now to make any permanent signings (from the ones in your list at the top I would have thought).

By my reckoning our squad stands at the Premier League limit of 25, so presumably we have to move some on now to make any permanent signings (from the ones in your list at the top I would have thought).

You can still own them, you just can't play them if they're not in the group of 25 you name. I think these excluded players can also play in cup ties and young players (undrer 21 ?) can play in any match even if they're not in the squad. There are also rules on a minimum number of 'home grown' players, but that really isn't going to bother us.

You can still own them, you just can't play them if they're not in the group of 25 you name. I think these excluded players can also play in cup ties and young players (undrer 21 ?) can play in any match even if they're not in the squad. There are also rules on a minimum number of 'home grown' players, but that really isn't going to bother us.

Cheers for that, I knew about young players and the limit of 17 non home grown players but wasn't aware of that bit. Presumably the 25 would include loanees coming in as well?

Cheers for that, I knew about young players and the limit of 17 non home grown players but wasn't aware of that bit. Presumably the 25 would include loanees coming in as well?

Yes they'd count in the 25, but if we had Marcus Dewhurst as third choice goalie we could squeeze an extra outfield player in. Only other young player I can think has a chance of playing would be Regan Slater and I think it's still more likely he'll be out on loan.

Stearman, K Freeman, Duffy and even possably Basham closest to a move of the established long term .....

Personally would be very p#ssed off if any of them left , personally think thankfully , none of them will be moved on

remember Chris Lucketti , Del Geary etc all performed admirally in the prem imo and would anyone have thought that before the season

we are here because of these players and management team and the last thing we should is take players out who have got us here and fully deserve their chance

i'm not saying as we progress some may leave but imo no way will it be now

Very pissed off if Stearman left? Give over

Stearman, K Freeman, Duffy and even possably Basham closest to a move of the established long term , Wright, Henegan, Holmes, Carruthers, Chad and Leon the obious short term. Slater to follow Smith on loan.

Freeman looked very good against Real Betis in my opinion, seemed to have lost a bit of weight & improved his fitness in preparation for this season. I think he offers a better option going forward than Baldock which Wilder might choose to use next season in games where we feel we can go for it a bit more.

Not that I think they will or should go this season, but we do have a fair few players coming towards the end of their careers. So would expect the likes of Duffy, Stearman, Basham and sharp to be moved on in the next 2 years

"Basham is a man machine". Thats what the other players were saying. Ithink he will surprise a few of us this year.

With regards to the players "moving on". Some maybe on loan but the likes of Ched, Henegan and Leon. I think we need a fee.

The young lad Slater need to be around the first team really now to be honest. He has been on loan. Time to make the step up. I'd say or move him on for a fee and a sell on.

The young lad Slater need to be around the first team really now to be honest. He has been on loan. Time to make the step up. I'd say or move him on for a fee and a sell on.
Not necessarily. I think he could potentially benefit from another loan at a higher level, maybe top end of L1 or championship. Wilder seems to rate him. He wouldn’t be doing pre season with the first team if he didn’t.

With regards to the players "moving on". Some maybe on loan but the likes of Ched, Henegan and Leon. I think we need a fee.

I think we’ll be doing well to be a fee for Evans. Last year of his contract, and the early links for him seem to be for loan deals to the end of his deal. Clarke I think will suffer from being only attractive for lower-Championship/upper-L1 and I suspect will be on a decent wage. Heneghan may be different due to age and potential of interest from multiple clubs. Carruthers, Holmes, Thomas, even Wright I would put in the tough-to-attract-cash-for bracket. We’ll inevitably pay some of these off I expect.

Back
Top Bottom