Player Suggestion Premier League Recruitment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reinforcements required in the net, right side of defence, midfield and up top.

I’d seriously try to restrict this to as few as 3 or 4 players that would hopefully improve the first 11, with further ins and outs to improve the squad situation as appropriate to provide good competition and squad depth coverage.

UTB

Its an interesting one, as Wilder doesnt seem to have place for sentiment having moved a good % of the League one winners on. if we were to go up id expect us to retain Henderson in some way shape or form. I say this every season and he proves me wrong every season, but here goes replace Basham. think Egan and JOC are more then good enough as is Enda. Replace Baldock and Freema, keep Baldock for back up/competition. as mentioned id like us to go after Reece James on Loan.

I think Coutts may move on sadly so we would need a Centre Midfielder for sure. a pacey option in the Duffy role and 2 strikers.

So if we dont count Henderson, 5 I make it. one decent tactic would to go after all the top clubs kids currently performing well in the Championship and offer them a step up and a season in the PL.

Its an interesting one, as Wilder doesnt seem to have place for sentiment having moved a good % of the League one winners on. if we were to go up id expect us to retain Henderson in some way shape or form. I say this every season and he proves me wrong every season, but here goes replace Basham. think Egan and JOC are more then good enough as is Enda. Replace Baldock and Freema, keep Baldock for back up/competition. as mentioned id like us to go after Reece James on Loan.

I think Coutts may move on sadly so we would need a Centre Midfielder for sure. a pacey option in the Duffy role and 2 strikers.

So if we dont count Henderson, 5 I make it. one decent tactic would to go after all the top clubs kids currently performing well in the Championship and offer them a step up and a season in the PL.

I would say the same to be fair. Maybe someone to push Fleck aswell, i dont think any come close right now.

Without looking what other people have put

Robinson - Preston - Buy
Grimes - Swansea - buy
James - Chelsea Loan - RWB
Henderson - Manure Loan
Dowell - Everton - buy
Adams - Birmingham - buy

If we promote it is an absolute must to scout abroad. Even though teams like Fulham prove that it does not guarantee anything, I still feel there's so much more value in certain competitions outside England than most of the players/price ratio in England.

We should look for 4/5 qualitiy signings, and I consider the permanent Henderson signing as one of them. Think we need quality forwards the most, because as much as I like Sharp and McGoldrick I just don't think they could do any damage at the premier league as starters.

But most important, don't overspend. Just try to be competitive, but if in the worst case scenario we go down immediately, we should make sure that we have enough money to structurely increase our budget and all facilities so we can grow to the level where we can play for promotion every single year.

If we promote it is an absolute must to scout abroad. Even though teams like Fulham prove that it does not guarantee anything, I still feel there's so much more value in certain competitions outside England than most of the players/price ratio in England.

We should look for 4/5 qualitiy signings, and I consider the permanent Henderson signing as one of them. Think we need quality forwards the most, because as much as I like Sharp and McGoldrick I just don't think they could do any damage at the premier league as starters.

But most important, don't overspend. Just try to be competitive, but if in the worst case scenario we go down immediately, we should make sure that we have enough money to structurely increase our budget and all facilities so we can grow to the level where we can play for promotion every single year.

I agree and think we are certainly missing out by not doing so, but Wilder seems only interested in the British market and if I’m honest I don’t see that changing.

There's load of players in the championship or Prem loans that would improve us and are probably within budget.

Ryan Woods
Callum Robinson,
Felix Nmecha,
Dan James,
Jon Swift,
Ryan Ledson,
Ollie McBurnie,
Mason Mount,
Mason Holgate,
Karlan Grant

Arent Spurs looking at Bowen? If so we wouldn't have a chance.

Spurs might be looking at him but cant see him walking straight into there team they might be interested in loaning him back to a promoted club to see if he can cut it in the prem before they try him in there squad.

There's load of players in the championship or Prem loans that would improve us and are probably within budget.

Ryan Woods
Callum Robinson,
Felix Nmecha,
Dan James,
Jon Swift,
Ryan Ledson,
Ollie McBurnie,
Mason Mount,
Mason Holgate,
Karlan Grant
Dan James must be the fastest player alive. Would be an amazing signing but fear he would be out of our league.

Dan James must be the fastest player alive. Would be an amazing signing but fear he would be out of our league.

He was going to Leeds for 7m until Swansea ended it with top class shithousery.

You'd think 7m would be a decent investment for a Premier League team.

He was going to Leeds for 7m until Swansea ended it with top class shithousery.

You'd think 7m would be a decent investment for a Premier League team.
Absolutely, I just fear his price will have gone up since then.

But we don't play with wingers. It would seem a waste to spend a large chunk of our budget on a position that we don't even start with.

But we don't play with wingers. It would seem a waste to spend a large chunk of our budget on a position that we don't even start with.
Firstly, I'm not expecting him to be either on our radar, or achievable, but neither do I believe that we will play this system for ever, especially if we get to the PL.
Some players are so good that you would adapt to suit them.

Is he French?

Both brothers are eligible to play Nigeria, Germany and England.

We should be looking at "wingers" who can alo play up front or in the number 10 role. The traditional winger is extinct anyway: played are wide midfielders or wide forwards these days, and are often expected to film multiple roles.

I reckon Dan James would be suited to the 10 role.

Signing players who can play wide would give us more options for our systems/formations too.

Assuming, if we do go up, we'd keep playing the 3-4-1-2 (maybe 352 with a flat central midfield 3 for tougher games?), I'd like to see us sign:

First choice GK: preferably Deano, on loan again more likely than permanent, but permanent would be fantastic!

First choice RCB: honestly, I'm not too sure about this, I reckon Bash would step up a fair bit better than most people expect him to - but I could see Wilder using Bash more often as part of a midfield 3 (flanking Norwood, like he did against Leeds away this year and Pigs away last year). If so, we'll definitely need a new first-choice RCB, and I'm going to nominate Reece James (loan) here. Admittedly, I haven't seen Wigan play much, and I know he's been playing either as an RB or CM, mainly - but he's a decent height (6 ft ish) and seems to be a good player both offensively and defensively, so I reckon he would adapt to the new position and suit our notorious overlapping centre-back system quite nicely... I'd also offer Cranie a year's extension as back-up, because why not?

Back-up LCB: not sure who to suggest here, but since Kean Bryan has barely played, I assume we'd sign someone here. They'd have to be left-footed, and have to be content playing second fiddle to JOC. Any old-hands with PL experience that fit the bill? I'll put forward Maxime le Marchand - plays for Fulham, who've had an awful defence this season, but this guy's looked pretty decent to me, can play left-back too (not sure about LWB), could be worth a shout.

First choice RWB: I'd keep Baldock as back-up/rotation and move Freeman on, probably. Matt Lowton was suggested by a couple of others, and I think he'd be perfect. He likes to attack, is home-grown, has good PL experience, has fallen out of favour at Burnley so might be available - would be a cracking signing, I reckon.

Back-up LWB: again, I'm not sure who to suggest, but I'm not sure Marvin Johnson would cut it in the PL... Maybe Rico Henry? He's young, looks to have a lot of potential, would suit our system well I think - and we've had good fortune with Brentford defenders in the past!

Back-up/rotational CM: I have a feeling we'll keep one of Coutts/Lundstram and let the other go - so we'd either be looking at a deep lying playmaker or a box-to-box midfielder. For the former, Ryan Woods or John Swift would be great - for the latter, honestly, I think Adam Reach would be perfect, could cover LWB too (and our recent ex-Pig signings have mostly done really well). However, I reckon we'd keep Lunny and release Couttsy (sadly), so I'll say John Swift would be our big midfield signing.

Rotational CAM: Duffy's great, but not getting any younger, so we need an alternative here. Dowell (loan) would be a decent option, but if we were to buy someone permanently, I'd like to see us get Luke Freeman - he seems to have a similar playing style to Duffy, so could be his perfect long-term replacement.

2 * first-choice/rotational CFs: perhaps an unpopular choice, but I'd look to sign Gary Madine permanently - I'd hope to see us use him more as a bench option than a starter, but sometimes it would definitely be helpful to have a target-man and play more directly, given the quality of some of the PL teams in possession. The other striker would need to be someone more dynamic: Bowen, Maupay and Robinson would all be exciting options, but I'd like to see us resign Che Adams - pacy, powerful, and probably still got a lot of room to improve; he wouldn't be cheap, but the sell-on clause could perhaps help us afford him.

So (I might have gone slightly overboard) 8 or 9 new signings (a couple of them on loan), but only 4 or 5 new starters - team chemistry, togetherness and familiarity with our system are some of our strong points, so I don't think there should be too much upheaval. Just need to add a bit of extra quality, leaving our squad looking something like this:

GK: Henderson, Moore
RCB: R.James, Basham, Cranie
CB: Egan, Stearman
LCB: O'Connell, Le Marchand
RWB: Lowton, Baldock
LWB: Stevens, R.Henry
RCM: Norwood, Swift
LCM: Fleck, Lundstram
CAM: Freeman, Duffy
RCF: McGoldrick, Madine
LCF: Adams, Sharp

So (I might have gone slightly overboard) 8 or 9 new signings

That's not overboard at all. That's about spot on.

Think who we'd be left with after players move on:

Moore
Basham/Cranie - Egan/Stearman - O'Connell
Baldock/Freeman - Stevens
Norwood - Fleck
Duffy
Sharp - McGoldrick

Only 14 players there.

Much would have to be spent, hopefully helped by at least 3 loans. Would want at least 4 starters - GK, CM, AM, CF.

Assuming, if we do go up, we'd keep playing the 3-4-1-2 (maybe 352 with a flat central midfield 3 for tougher games?), I'd like to see us sign:

Back-up/rotational CM: I have a feeling we'll keep one of Coutts/Lundstram and let the other go - so we'd either be looking at a deep lying playmaker or a box-to-box midfielder. For the former, Ryan Woods or John Swift would be great - for the latter, honestly, I think Adam Reach would be perfect, could cover LWB too (and our recent ex-Pig signings have mostly done really well).

You know what, Adam Reach is actually a sound choice.

Huddersfield would be a good place to look.

Neal Maupay
Ollie Watkins
Shane Long
Reece James (loan)
Dean Henderson (loan)
Wouldnt mind any of them, know they are Pigs but Bannan and Reach would be ok. Also McBurnie.
Only problem is the likes of Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle etc will be looking as well as who ever else goes up.

Suppose it'll be a nice problem to look forward too;)

Clearly, there's a great deal of choice from which to consider signing players.

Given the see-saw nature of teams who manage to get promoted and then realise just how tough the Premiership is, I've no doubt that Wilder will have a fair idea about areas that need strengthening. McBurnie is definitely one to consider, and although I think that Henderson should return, it would be as a season long loan. Our first season in the Prem will determine whether we remain there or whether we return to the Championship, so preferring to act cautiously and not lumber us with a sizeable fee plus wages, a year long loan would make sense. Then, if we remain in the Prem, that would be the time to consider further permanent signings.

We'd need strengthening in most areas, certainly upfront, and in midfield. Goes without saying that a GK is a priority, but Wilder will know this, as well as who he retains and who he keeps. It should prove to be an intriguing time between the end of season and whether we've achieved Premiership status, or whether we face another season in the Championship. Let's hope the ownership issue is satisfactorily resolved, this will determine so much about our ambition and if there's a long-term strategy designed to support our manager and the recruitment we'll surely need. It's been a great season, sensational in fact. I can't praise the manager and staff enough, to do what we've done in a little under 3 seasons is nothing short of astonishing. Meagre budgets with which Wilder has worked miracles, loans that in the main have worked in our favour, and a collective spirit that has enabled the squad to push forward and achieve the most amazing feats.

If anyone had claimed that we'd be part of the automatic promotion places most of us would have raised a fairly questioning eyebrow, and I mention this fully prepared for some drama or other to happen that will sour our chances. But as things stand I don't feel the least bit awkward in suggesting that we've as good a chance of being in the top two than any other club. The feeling of unbelievable elation will stay with many of us for the rest of this week, and no doubt Leeds will feel quite the opposite, realising that their best chance for an auto place slipped through their fingers when they came off the pitch at Brentford.

A great time to be a Blade (surely this is most of the time?) but once the current buzz evaporates we'll have a few fundamentally crucial issues to confront, at the top of this list is who owns us and what their ambitions are for the Blades. Sorry to finish on such a sour note, but this is currently overridden by the events of this weekend which have been incredible by any standards UTMB!!!

Dean Henderson
Jarrod Bowen
Ollie Watkins
Ollie McBurnie
Reece James
John Swift
Luke Freeman
Ryan Woods
Dan James
Che?

Land any 4 of them (including DH) and we’re laughing

Position
Player Suggestion
(Backup)

GK
Dean Henderson
(Alex Smithies)

RCB
Liam Moore
Mavropanos (Loan)

RWB

Reece James
(Matt Lowton)

CDM
Philip Billing
(Leroy Fer)

CAM
Luke Freeman
(Ebere Eze)

CF
Che Adams
Karlan Grant
(Oliver McBurnie)
(Michael Obafemi (Loan))

Fiyako tomori and Mason Holgate for the Rcb/rwb role as well are other options

Back
Top Bottom