The Blades player who made me fall in love with football was.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although my dad did take me to a few matches at the Lane in the late 1960s, after the matches he would tell my mum at home saying that I am not really "ready" in going to football matches. On January 3rd 1970 I stayed at home watching Grandstand (I was half watching a Rugby League match) and I was aware that the Blades had beaten Everton 2-1 (I dont think I was really aware of the difference between the FA Cup and the League). In the next day my dad watched the highlights of our win against Everton on YTV so I decided to watch it with him. I was impressed with what I saw and was aware that Colin Addison had scored the winner of the match (photo below) so he is probably the player that made me fall in love with the Blades (and football) and then after that I became a Lane regular.

Late 1969/70. I was nearing the end of a six-year stretch at King Edwards and everybody gathered round trannies (different world back then...) to hear the draw for the FA Cup Third Round on a Monday lunchtime. A big cheer went up when United were drawn at home to reigning champions Everton. A big cheer because - even back then - Sheffield seemed to be populated by only Wednesdayites who never went to games and had big gobs. Just like now.

We'd get stuffed, surely? Everton had a more-than-tasty team back then:

upload_2019-2-15_6-50-15.png

But that indomitable Blades spirit was present back then as well. We won 2-1.

Less than two years earlier - 26th Feb. 1968 - I was at the game which made me fall in love with United (not football, I was already besotted with the early-60s Liverpool team). TC's debut at home to Spurs.

Fjortoft - Playground celebration

He used to coach Brazilian soccer skills at Abbeydale as well. No skills, just kids pissing about pretending to be aeroplanes.

Late 1969/70. I was nearing the end of a six-year stretch at King Edwards and everybody gathered round trannies (different world back then...) to hear the draw for the FA Cup Third Round on a Monday lunchtime. A big cheer went up when United were drawn at home to reigning champions Everton. A big cheer because - even back then - Sheffield seemed to be populated by only Wednesdayites who never went to games and had big gobs. Just like now.

We'd get stuffed, surely? Everton had a more-than-tasty team back then:

View attachment 49704

But that indomitable Blades spirit was present back then as well. We won 2-1.

Less than two years earlier - 26th Feb. 1968 - I was at the game which made me fall in love with United (not football, I was already besotted with the early-60s Liverpool team). TC's debut at home to Spurs.
Our team was
Hodgkinson
Badger
Hemsley
Barlow
Colquhoun
Flynn (Powell was ruled out by an injury)
Woodward
Currie (wore number 8 for most of that season)
Addison
Salmons
Reece

Don't think I had one player which made me love the Blades, I started going with my dad and just naturally loved the team I was watching. Though I did always want Whitehouse on the back of my shirt but my mum wouldn't let me due to how many letters it cost :(

Colin Morris and Keith Edwards for me.

It is worth noting that there is a whole fresh new generation of Sheffield United supporting children who will all respond with the name Billy Sharp when they are asked in 30 years time.

Keith Edwards for me. Although even as an 8 year old who loved him unconditionally, I'm not sure I'd could have forgiven him for saying that he hoped the Hull game in 05/06 was a draw because he'd played for both.

Mick Jones #9.

Extra point for anyone who comes up with one who didn't end up playing for Leeds at a later date.

Alan Woodward and to a finer, lesser extent, Tony Currie.

In fact, I can't really place one above the other.

Woody for me too.

As a 7 year old in 1970, I thought this grey haired bloke must be really old. WTFDIK.

All the media bollocks about Hot shot Lorimer, but he wasn't fit to lace Woody's boots.

Singalong time

"We've got Alan, Alan, Alan Wooodward on the wing, on the wing
We've got Alan, Alan, Alan Wooodward on the wing, on the wing
ALAN
Alan Woodward
Alan Woodward on the wing..." *

You won't believe how hard it is to find a decent clip of the tune. This abysmal effort was the best I could do and the rest all had fat scout leaders in them:

Later adopted for a famous Arsenal player who did a stretch following a drunk driving episode
"Tony Adams on E wing....."

Could only be TC for me - but also Bobby Moore, and in a different way Trevor Hockey.

David Holdsworth. One of my first "Big" games as a young'un. Limbs still hurt now.

No one really.
Exactly.
Dad took me to Cec Coldwell's testimonial, and a few others after that. Just felt natural normal and the right thing to do.
Being a Blade has been THE one constant all of my life. Even though they've angered the @#*% out of me and ripped my heart out many times I will always be a Blade.

Enjoying what we have now.

Sir Colin Morris....I even wanted to have bowed legs and a perm to be just like him.

special mention for Keith Waugh too as I was an aspiring young net tender myself..

Back
Top Bottom