A funny old game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

3 games stand out for me.
1 West Brom (battle of Bramall Lane) Totally bizarre game.
2 Brighton home 5-4 win eventually. I’m sure I went through every emotion that day!!.
3 forest playoff semifinal. What a night!!.

Vs Norwich 'Arrys era. Brynn Gunn - goylie - hurt his back early doors and it was a case of shooooot ffs shoot. Gunn was hanging from the crossbar,game allowing, to try some self inflicted physio. Managed to win 1 - 0, defenders did their best to protect him but we should have peppered their goal with shots and crosses.

Stood on 't Kop wi' Don Givens placing the ball for a spot kick.

12 months later. A fancy dress party at Darlington, of all places, just allowing enough room for a game of football to take place.
4 officials, a 40 year old baby and some gorillas.

Vs Norwich 'Arrys era. Brynn Gunn - goylie - hurt his back early doors and it was a case of shooooot ffs shoot. Gunn was hanging from the crossbar,game allowing, to try some self inflicted physio. Managed to win 1 - 0, defenders did their best to protect him but we should have peppered their goal with shots and crosses.

Darren Beckford replaced Gunn in goal

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the Swindon playoff final second leg. Buried after 30 minutes, 3-0 Down but back in it 3-2 half time. 5-2 down after about 60 minutes, equaliser after 90 as the fourth official’s board said 8 minutes. Needed one for extra time and two for the win, scored but had it disallowed.

Even Coough admitted he’d lost track of the score, which I imagine contributed to his demise.

One Chris Basham stood out with a captain’s performance in every way but wearing the actual armband.

Any game against Walsall a few seasons back. We just couldn't beat them.

4-3 vs Forest. Already mentioned on here, but has always been one of my favourite games I've seen live. You'll never beat Des Walker.
4-4 vs Exeter. Scoring 4 at home and not winning?!
4-5 vs Fulham. Scoring 4 at home and LOSING?! (Coming back from 5-2 down and nearly drawing too...)
5-3 vs Bournemouth. John Cofie scored. o_O
0-1 vs Hartlepool. The atmosphere after that game was just one of resignation. Weir's last game.
2-2 vs Brentford when there were 4 penalties (2 missed I think) 2 red cards I believe too.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the Swindon playoff final second leg. Buried after 30 minutes, 3-0 Down but back in it 3-2 half time. 5-2 down after about 60 minutes, equaliser after 90 as the fourth official’s board said 8 minutes. Needed one for extra time and two for the win, scored but had it disallowed.

Even Coough admitted he’d lost track of the score, which I imagine contributed to his demise.

One Chris Basham stood out with a captain’s performance in every way but wearing the actual armband.
good shout - that was crackers

Arsenal in the cup which was played again. Went to both. My dad took us out of school early so we could go down for the night game.

I remember being taken out of school early in 1989 to go to the Colchester FA Cup replay. There's something very exciting about being allowed to leave early for football!

Oldham 88, 0-5 (nil 5!)
Brighton 89 5-4
Spurs 93 6-0
Scunny 0-4
Arsenal when Bruce took players off
Swindon 5-5
When we won in the cup via deflection by balloon!
The game when some one got sent off then came back on!
Battle of BL
Forest play off
Leeds cup 2-1
Liverpool first leg 2-1
Cardiff 5-3
Bouncing day
Pigs 3-2 (kackwell)
Oldham 2-3 (Wilson)
Spurs semi 2-2
Scunny 0-2 2016

Yea and look where we are now compared to that and many on here think we’re in a mess.

The Forest playoff semi-final second leg for me. A tight first leg ended 1-1, Forest took the lead and right from the restart we win a penalty. Step up Michael brown and we’re back in the game. Michael Dawson got sent off too which was a bonus.

Then came the second leg at the Lane...

Did you watch the video? Forest were 2-0 up before we got a goal back via a Brown free kick, not a penalty. Kabs got the equaliser.. Think the craziness of that night has affected your memory!

Two cup games ...

Blackburn when Mitch scores a brace and we win on pens?
Last minute equaliser v Cov in cup replay (followed by Katchouro’s pen!)

Did you watch the video? Forest were 2-0 up before we got a goal back via a Brown free kick, not a penalty. Kabs got the equaliser.. Think the craziness of that night has affected your memory!
He was describing the first leg at Forest in the text

Yea and look where we are now compared to that and many on here think we’re in a mess.

You’re absolutely right. I’m amazed when people don’t appreciate the level of football that’s on display and the sheer excitement of it. We might not win every week and some of the defending may be suspect to say the least, but it is so good to watch!

You’re absolutely right. I’m amazed when people don’t appreciate the level of football that’s on display and the sheer excitement of it. We might not win every week and some of the defending may be suspect to say the least, but it is so good to watch!
Short memories some.

Blades 7 Northampton 3
Most games I've ever seen in one game and a comedic performance as a result of torrential rain for a day or two previously.

Back
Top Bottom