Incoming? Defoe and Long

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well if we got them both on loan for 50% contribution to wages it’d probably match our wage structure. Maybe both a bit over the hill now but would still give us more options up front.

But the No.10 is the make or break signing for me.

Defoe is on >£85k week so unless Bournemouth are just about giving him away I suspect this can be put in the 'Ambitious but Unrealistic' category. Maybe it is a sign of CW's desire but some of the names banded about (inc. some by the man himself) do seem somewhat unrealistic and remind me when everyone got excited about making a bid for Coady which was never going to materialise into a transfer.

Shane Long in one I don't get - non-scoring strikers is probably an area where Utd are well covered at the moment :)

Isaac Success from Watford suggested on one of the click baits. Possible Duffy replacement maybe ?

I don't think by any stretch Long would 'destroy the championship' but he'd be a good signing. He hasn't got the electric pace he once had though.

Defoe would be a great one

Long's ratio of games played to goals scored is worrying. The days when he merited a £12 million transfer fee are long gone, he's 31, and a final payday, with presumably a minimum 3-year contract, would return us to a situation where we had players signed that weren't fit for purpose. Surely signing someone now must also include their potential worthiness for the Premiership, which on those terms alone must exclude Long? Not scored in his last 12 games I believe, sounds exactly the type of player we should allow to go elsewhere.

Hate to be the one to pour water on this suggestion, but has everyone who favours Defoe looked at his stats? It's not as compounding as Long, but Defoe was bought during an injury crisis at B'mouth, and although he offers a threat, his threat isn't what it was. Of course, I'd be happy to be proved wrong if the return on our outlay was worth the investment. Aren't there other choices still playing that are worth considering? I'm puzzled why some posters seem fixated on players whose past was impressive, but now seem incapable of a decent goals per game return. I thought the only reason for considering a player was their ability to convert and/or assist?

Defoe's been in the match day squad in all but one game, seems to be a major part of Howe's plans. Howe said on Sky when Forest where after him he wasn't going anywhere, also said they only had four strikers and Defoe was one of them. Presumably this can change in January, but it would mean Bournemouth bringing in a replacement before they let Defoe out.

Defoe's been in the match day squad in all but one game, seems to be a major part of Howe's plans. Howe said on Sky when Forest where after him he wasn't going anywhere, also said they only had four strikers and Defoe was one of them. Presumably this can change in January, but it would mean Bournemouth bringing in a replacement before they let Defoe out.
Not sure of my thoughts either way on Defoe, but thinking of it from a purely management planning point of view, you would look to replace Defoe in January.
Given his age he's not going to be in the plans for the following season, so you would look to blood someone from January, especially as it's a 4th striker.
Question is, can they bag their target, if they can then you'd look to recoup some of your costs, of which Defoe, you would think, it taking a nice chunk.

Not sure of my thoughts either way on Defoe, but thinking of it from a purely management planning point of view, you would look to replace Defoe in January.
Given his age he's not going to be in the plans for the following season, so you would look to blood someone from January, especially as it's a 4th striker.
Question is, can they bag their target, if they can then you'd look to recoup some of your costs, of which Defoe, you would think, it taking a nice chunk.

The January transfer window is well known for inflated transfer prices,, Bournemouth are doing well in the league so it won't be a rushed signing so Howe might wait till the close season to replace Defoe. We will see in January.

The January transfer window is well known for inflated transfer prices,, Bournemouth are doing well in the league so it won't be a rushed signing so Howe might wait till the close season to replace Defoe. We will see in January.
Again, purely my musings, but I think Bournemouth's current operating method is to look to spot talent in the Championship. While prices maybe slightly inflated, depending on who they are looking at, they're not inflated outside of what would still be a good potential deal.

I can't imagine a situation where we coukd afford a large % of his wage. But if we did, you have to ask me that would be all our money spent. I'd rather find a replacement for Leon than Billy - in my view that upgrade would be much bugger than the one from Billy to Defoe

Would think it’d be something to do with the Brooks deal ? Depends if Defoe fancy’s coming who knows

Defoe replaces Billy for me, don't see them playing together. Reckon he'd score goals, but he'd cost an asbolute wedge and hasn't played for a good 7/8 months.

Long, whilst having an utterly garbage scoring record is the one that makes more sense. He's a worker, a presser, a little wasp and in our style of football would fit in well.

Wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Gallacher still has no game time this season....will we be back in for him?
Aww! I wanted to be the first to say Defoe and Billy can’t play together!:oops:

Defoe would be great if we didn't already have Billy.

Long would be great if we didn't already have...Conor Washington.

If Wilder loves Long so much why doesn't he just marry him?

Funny that these two would both be more likely to replace Sharp. Seems he's the one we automatically look to upgrade on regardless of how much he is contributing (and how little Clarke is).

We spent the whole summer saying we were waiting on teams to strengthen before they'd let us nab their player, and do you know what that got us?
Conor Washington. It got us a Conor Washington.
We need to be doing our homework a bit better and seeing 1) if the player wants to come 2) if the club would let him go and 3) if we can afford him well before the window even opens.
And yeah, I think that can be done.

Long is very good in the air, Leon although he's a unit isn't that good in the air for his size, Long is also quicker than Clarke, I think he could play alongside sharp no problem.

Don't know why some people on here bang on about Defoe being too old Glen Murray is a year younger and scores regularly for Brighton some strikers get better with age so far Defoe has proven to be one of them

The other thing to consider with Defoe is the reputation he will bring. If we’ve got the ball anywhere around the area, you can guarantee the opposition are going to be very wary, and double up on him - thus creating more space for the other players.

Back
Top Bottom