United Subbuteo team going free...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

e17blade

Reaction score
We are clearing out my sons' old toys and found his much loved United Subbuteo team - ah the memories!!

I can't give them away in East London, so I was wondering if anyone on here wanted them for their kids (or themselves!). Free to a good Blades home.

I am fully aware that, in a PS4 obsessed world, Subutteo might be more at home in a museum, but I can't bring myself to throw them in the bin.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_6436.JPG
    IMG_6436.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 184

I'd love to give them a good home. Still got the gear and my 11 year old likes to play from time to time It's the only type of football I can still beat him at!

Perfect. That’s exactly what I was hoping for.

PM me with your address and I’ll get them in the post this week.

UTB

We are clearing out my sons' old toys and found his much loved United Subbuteo team - ah the memories!!

I can't give them away in East London, so I was wondering if anyone on here wanted them for their kids (or themselves!). Free to a good Blades home.

I am fully aware that, in a PS4 obsessed world, Subutteo might be more at home in a museum, but I can't bring myself to throw them in the bin.

Cheers.

Eight Alan Woodwards?

What a team. :D

IMG_20181114_145759.jpg
Update :
The team have arrived safely at their destination and are currently awaiting the reseeding of the Desso before playing their first game at their new home ground. Number 3 has made a miraculous recovery (LCB), growing a new arm thanks to modern science, a tie wrap and some superglue.
Many thanks again e17blade for your generous donation. You'll receive some sort of thank you from my son before Christmas even if it kills me (or him).
UTB

When we were younger my Brother used to like painting our Subbuteo players with Airfix paint to update the kits. Around that time the Blades played in the "Ajax" style kit. His dedication was admirable as he painted on the alternate red and black pinstripes with a pin :eek:

Wish I still had the team now.

My dad painted the Luminous (original) kit over a team for us. My brothers mate was round playing and wanted the kit, he ended up dragging his mum all round town asking every seller if they had the kit.. None of them had a clue what she was on about... "But he's played with it, it definitely has been released!" :D

Strangely enough, I promised my youngest the other week that I would get his Dads old subbuteo set out for a challenge game (I'm Blades, he can be pigs). He is well up for it. The time and the match venue has been agreed and the game is on. I've been practising my flicking all week, by flicking imaginary bogies off my thumb, and CW would probably say that 'we are in good nick'. Contrast that to my youngest who I haven't seen training his finger at all, or practising flicking with spin on (he's only 7) and it's clear that he's modelled his strategy on Moustache Jos and his hope for the best goons. He will probably have all 10 of his subbuteo players in his own box from the start too. I'm really fancying my chances here.

My eldest lads feigned initial disinterest in the idea at the start whilst they played with their PlayStation but I've already seen them starting to come round to the idea of a family subbuteo tournament. They cant resist. I'm thinking of putting up a load of cardboard outside the ground to be the police wall of steel for a bit more realism. I might even have a plastic Clive Betts getting crushed outside the stadium, whilst simultaneously getting kicked in the bollox by a Blades fan for extra authenticity.

I'm very excited for the weekend.

Nice one e17blade, great to see they have gone to a grateful home when they could easily have gone on ebay.

Clive Betts getting crushed outside the stadium, whilst simultaneously getting kicked in the bollox by a Blades fan for extra authenticity.

Kidney punching's too good for him.

At Subbuteo I'm always Barnstoneworth United. Useless, useless b######ds !

United Subbuteo team going free...

Wow, that's a co-incidence.
Same value as our current squad now Brooks has gone :eek:;)

Seeing this thread has been a right old nostalgia trip. I grew up playing Subbuteo during those long, dark 70's and 80's evenings when it was too dark to play out. Think it was me and our kid's Christmas present 1978 or 79 and loads of the kids on our estate had a set. We regularly held tournaments in each others sheds or garage as it was usually banned from the house on account of 'scroarming on the carpet' wore out your jeans. And the carpet.
Baize pitch was tacked to chip board which had a warp so bad we had to play uphill and down hill. The team in the OP's picture is a vintage one. Proper textured plastic moulding, full of character and exquisitely balanced bases for those long shots where your marauding wing back pirouetted all the way down the wing to collect the sprout sized ball before you thunked it past the keeper and under the settee.
Later editions were shit by comparison as Subbuteo cut corners in the late 80s. They went for cheaper light weight mouldings; artless, stiff armed, expressionless clones, that skittered unpredictably all over the shop. The equivalent of trying to play crown-green bowls with a rolled up ball of tissue paper.
Subbuteo. The only football game where Stenhousemuir versus Brazil was a legitimate fixture. Arguments about what constituted a lawful flick - no thumb assisted propulsion allowed for us aficionados. Goalkeepers with jockey caps. And all those accessories designed to create your own stadium. Spectators, TV gantry, subs bench and fake 'electronic' scoreboard we had the lot. Car booted long ago, sadly. Brings a tear to the eye it does.

Am I right in thinking that Subbuteo teams were sold as though they could be more than one team? IE, I'm sure I bought Sheff Utd but I seem to remember it having on the box that it was also Stoke & Sunderland.

Am I right in thinking that Subbuteo teams were sold as though they could be more than one team? IE, I'm sure I bought Sheff Utd but I seem to remember it having on the box that it was also Stoke & Sunderland.
You're right about Sunderland but won't Stoke have been white collars and cuffs?

Back then most teams played in generic kits so there was nothing like the differences in design that we see today.

You're right about Sunderland but won't Stoke have been white collars and cuffs?

Back then most teams played in generic kits so there was nothing like the differences in design that we see today.
Possibly, it was obviously a long time ago so I can't remember exactly what teams were on the box but there was definitely a few.

Back
Top Bottom