Other English Teams You Like

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Orient ,no other reason that Ive loved going there and they are a proper club unlike most of the other shitheads in London.

Had a drink in Portugal with a couple of orient fans. Good lads. The lass wasn’t much to look at but she got it smashed in by all accounts

Just family ties for me my uncle by marriage was a big Charlton fan and took his daughters to games, his eldest married another big Charlton fan who still goes from the Isle of Sheppey, his 2nd daughter was not that bothered and his 3rd daughter who now lives in Rochester was a big fan and took me to the Valley when we were visiting. They always came up to Sheffield when Charlton played us or the pigs and sometimes Rotherham. At other times we would all go to the Lane if they were in Sheffield and we would go to the Valley if we were down Abbeywood a few stations down the line from Charlton, I remember my uncle thinking it was awesome on the kop when we drew 2-2 with Spurs in the early 70's he also loved the Sheffield beer and would get pissed as a fart .......... happy days.
That Spurs game was great, i was as usual back then on the kop. A School mate at the time listened to it on the radio, said we were so loud that at times it was hard to hear the commentator.
Think we went 2 down.
Oh, and Charlton, great club and ground.

Forest Green Rovers. Went to the New Lawn several times last season. Great little club punching well above their weight and formed in 1889!

I support two teams to be fair: Sheffield United and the team playing Wednesday on the day!

I do respect and like to see a few other clubs do well though:

Rangers: Love the British flags waving and their pride in being British. On a side note, never get why English people say they like Celtic when Celtic are essentially the republican club and as a result despise the English but there you go.

Newcastle and Sunderland: Proper clubs, amazing support - particularly Newcastle and I love the accent.

Bristol Rovers: Similar views to others. They are very passionate fans to be fair.

Rotherham United: Surprised more people not listed the Millers. They don't like Wednesday obviously and we've had a bond with them from the Warnock days.

I also really respect Wolves, Burnley and Portsmouth for their support over the years.

Forest Green Rovers. Went to the New Lawn several times last season. Great little club punching well above their weight and formed in 1889!

Sorry can't stand them! mate! Spent a shed loads to get where they are now (ok that's their right don't get me wrong but I much prefer to see teams do well through more sensible means) and if you listen to their chairman he sees their Vegan diet as superior to meat eaters like the rest of us our cave men going out clubbing an animal to death before eating it! They actually impose that on away fans - no burgers and hot dogs from Forest Green!

Here we go...
Accy Stanley....at school as an 8 year old I read a book showing past league tables and it showed them resigning from the league a few years earlier.Followed their rise up the leagues and was there last season when they won promotion.
York ...met a girl there 30 years ago.Lasted about a month with her but started watching them and still try to go once a season.
Boston...because my ancestors came from there.
Hibernian....in the early 80s the Kop always used to sign Celtic or Rangers so I decided to be different and chose a team from the capital.Seen them once in '86.
Berwick...simply because they are an English team in the Scottish league
Man U...first team i followed in junior school
Spurs ....only London club I liked.My 2 sons follow one team each 1 Supports Spurs 1 Man U-as a 2nd team of course..Always a row in our house when they play each other.
Real Madrid...bought a pennant in 1974 in Torremolinos and followed them ever since.
Hamburg....because I've been there.
Republic Or Ireland....because my ancestry in Irish.
Also dont mind Rotherham.

OK.

Hearts - Lived in Edinburgh from age 6-11 and as a student from 18-25. They mean nearly as much to me as the Blades

East Stirling - Folks ended up in Falkirk, and The Shire were (and are) pretty awful, but there is something about a crowd of 300 and trips to some odd wee grounds that is always strangely enjoyable.

Berwick Rangers - Lived near there for a bit as well. Always keep an eye out

Notts County - unlike their near neighbours, a proper club, great fans, no delusions - the only local (to me) side I would even consider if SUFC went

And off into Europe

Kaiserlautern - The guy who wrote about the Bundesliga on rec.sport.soccer was a 1.FCK fan

Bordeaux - And they guy who did French football...

Deportiva La Coruna - I like underdogs, and Depor were challenging the big 2 [Yes, I know they play in blue and white]

Sparta Rotterdam - An underdog who play in Red & White. Perfect

And then the whoever (domestically) is playing W*dn*sd*y, Leeds, Manchester United (or any of the top 6), Rangers, Celtic, Dundee & St Mirren

Walsall - Great Pies, love the ground and their fans "moo" when Wiseman Dairy wagons pass by on the M6

Chesterfield - Was raised half way between Saltergate and BDTBL

Derby - I'm a Tup not a Tyke

Elgin City - They're called the Badgers - Good enough for me

Northwich 1874 - Fans club that arose from the mess of Northwich Victoria and a bunch of us from the forum have been going to their annual beer festival for the last few years (next one is in October if anyone's interested)

Racing Mechelin - Took them from Belgian Div 3 to European glory in Footy Manager

St Johnstone
When I was a young lad aged about 12 we used to leave the lane and rush up the Moor to Wigfalls, crowd round the window and watch the results on a telly. I remember them getting hammered by Celtic 8-2 and felt sorry for them. Always looked out for there score for almost 40 years and have actually driven past there ground on the A9 and would have paid a visit if it wasn’t close season

For no rational reason that I can think of I have hated St Johnstone for as long as I can remember, never seen em play. I can only think that they must have thumped my Scottish team Motherwell at some point in the distant past. On my way up to Inverness one Saturday and they were at home, I had stopped off in Perth for some fuel and it was after the game and folk were making there way home, I looked on them with the same disdain as I do Wednesdayites.

None of them, to be honest with you. I've got mates who support other clubs, but that doesn't mean I have to like their club. I like watching the English clubs in the Champion's League, but if they get a right good gubbing from some "fancy foreigners" then as long as it's a good game I don't care.

For no rational reason that I can think of I have hated St Johnstone for as long as I can remember, never seen em play. I can only think that they must have thumped my Scottish team Motherwell at some point in the distant past. On my way up to Inverness one Saturday and they were at home, I had stopped off in Perth for some fuel and it was after the game and folk were making there way home, I looked on them with the same disdain as I do Wednesdayites.
Fair enough, I know they play in blue but I always thought you were a decent poster but you’ve just gone way down in my estimation

:p;):D

In my youth, I played school football on Saturday mornings, and so often I couldn't get to Utd away matches. I used to pick a game within a 40-mile radius of Sheffield and take the train to Manchester, Nottingham, etc., to see the teams I felt were the best to watch. My 3 favourites were:
Man United - the Munich disaster was very emotional for any youngster interested in football, and they have had to work hard to destroy those emotions, but they have succeeded.
Sunderland - there was a time when the team of Shackleton, Hurley and Stan Anderson was a joy to watch, and the red-and-White stripes helped.
Spurs- the double-winning team played great football, had great characters, and were almost unbeatable. And without them, the league title would have gone to S6 in 1961. My gratitude remains undimmed.

Sheffield United reserves
And who ever is playing against Wednesday...unless it’s leeds when I couldn’t give a toss

I support two teams to be fair: Sheffield United and the team playing Wednesday on the day!
Rotherham United: Surprised more people not listed the Millers. They don't like Wednesday obviously and we've had a bond with them from the Warnock days.
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Toytown. Used to have a little soft spot for them, especially in the "Bad Old Days" when they were still at Millmoor and were getting shafted for cash by their ground rental etc. I was very pleased when United went out of their way to help out a local team by giving them cash from the beamback to BDTBL of the Pigs games; loaning them players and paying wages etc.

That all went out of the window when we fell on harder-times and rather than a slightly sympathetic response from them, all we seemed to get was grief and bullshit, conveniently forgetting they could easily have vanihsed down the plughole were it not for the assistance we gave them. So fuckem.
Sheffield United reserves
And who ever is playing against Wednesday...unless it’s leeds when I couldn’t give a toss
Ah yes. The Wednesday - Leeds games. The only 2 matches on a footballing calendar where praying for a meteor strike is allowed. there needs to be a result where BOTH teams can lose... although I'll admit that on those days, unless a particular result is beneficial to United in some way, I have a very slight, very marginal preference for a Leeds win, just to piss off the Massive.

Other than that, I'll echo the Spurs and Sunderland comments. Spurs because of the way they play and go about their business. Sunderland for personal connection reasons - my best mate is a Mackam and i have been up to watch games with him several times (and he has also been to the Lane in a reciprocal capacity and lists us as his 2nd team, and hates The Massive almost as much as we do!)

In the time I used to go to Scarborough on hols with mates we always met up with a group from Sunderland and Newcastle. Great time and always had a soft spot since.

I don't think there is any other team I "like". if I'm watching a game on the telly then I'll choose a team I want to win but I don't think there is a team I have a "soft spot" for.

Always been about players for me. Loved Bergkamp so like those late 90s Arsenal teams.

Hated Spurs under Redknapp (one of my least favourite people in football) but really like Kane so them at the minute.

Preseason threads in all their preseasony glory.

I barely like United at times, they dash my hopes that much. Let alone liking any other chuffing lot.

Bournemouth. I know they have; buckets of dodgy Russian money, have been in Administration more than any other club and are far too small a club for their current status. However, I still like:
  • their shirts.
  • that they demolished their ground, turned their pitch through 90 degrees and rebuilt the old ground.
  • that they rechristened themselves "AFC Bournemouth" so that they always would be top of the league before the season kicked off.

Back
Top Bottom