Wilders gung-ho tactics

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Scooter_mcgavin

Reaction score
Today was most definitely not the occaision to have 4 attack mindedness players on. We were already creating next to nothing and getting hit on the counter regularly, so putting more men up top was only going to make it worse.

Forest should have won that, if it wasn't for blackmans fantastic saves, we'd have been done over again by the over attacking subs.

There's a time for it and dint think today was it.

Today was most definitely not the occaision to have 4 attack mindedness players on. We were already creating next to nothing and getting hit on the counter regularly, so putting more men up top was only going to make it worse.

Forest should have won that, if it wasn't for blackmans fantastic saves, we'd have been done over again by the over attacking subs.

It was a must win: he would have been slaughtered on here if he didn't throw everything we had at them.

It was a must win: he would have been slaughtered on here if he didn't throw everything we had at them.

But it did nothing other than help forest. One point in this instance far more valuable than none.

What's happened to the overlapping CB's? Was a major weapon and was used at will last season and earlier this, just seems to have vanished.

But it did nothing other than help forest. One point in this instance far more valuable than none.

It was due to the players that he brought on playing poorly rather than the decision to bring them on.

Brooks, Holmes, Fleck, Duffy and Leon all had the ball in decent positions but made awful decisions.

It's not got the element of surprise it had earlier in the season.
We still overlapped at times. The annoying habit we have isn't overlapping, it's the playing tippy tappy on the wing until someone's is offside.

And when will we realise that goals can't be scored if ya don't fucking shoot!!!

What's happened to the overlapping CB's? Was a major weapon and was used at will last season and earlier this, just seems to have vanished.

Thought Leonard got in 2 or 3 times but he needs to work on his crossing. Doesn’t seem to be working on the left hand side. If Stevens still doesn’t fancy crossing next season might be worth strengthening there.

Yeah, that's hindsight for you.

Like I say, Wilder would have been criticised had he not - we had to win.

We had to play more cautiously after clubs began countering and pressing us more.

Also in hindsight, had we lost it would have more damaging. That point could be crucial.

The long and short of it is if Duffy has a poor game the pen 9 times out of 10 so do the team.

It’s been a long season and I think our high pressing game is hard to produce twice a week.

The long and short of it is if Duffy has a poor game the pen 9 times out of 10 so do the team.

It’s been a long season and I think our high pressing game is hard to produce twice a week.
Need others to step up. Opposition will know how key he is to our play, so should always have someone on him, perhaps even two.

Horrible conditions today, didn't think either side would create anything decent playing it on the floor. I wouldn't have liked to play on that surface.

We had to play more cautiously after clubs began countering and pressing us more.

Really? Play to your strengths I say, fuck the opposition.

No matter what the tactics were we were pretty shite by our own standards and we did well to come away with a draw, it didn’t look gung-ho to me, we just simply weren’t good enough and for me we are papering over some cracks, roll on Brentford.

Although I think it's generally a good thing to make attack-minded subs, I've never understood why people think solely bringing on strikers and forward midfielders will somehow guarantee success.

You need a team which can effectively work the ball up the pitch, give and receive passes and make space. Being too top heavy can rob us of the connection to the back which gives us the opportunity to attack in the first place. Of course you can just go long but then very often you lose the ball anyway.
Not criticising Wilder btw, though i thought sharp should've stayed on, just want to point out that in the end you only need one guy to put the ball in the back of the net, not 4.

Although I think it's generally a good thing to make attack-minded subs, I've never understood why people think solely bringing on strikers and forward midfielders will somehow guarantee success.

You need a team which can effectively work the ball up the pitch, give and receive passes and make space. Being too top heavy can rob us of the connection to the back which gives us the opportunity to attack in the first place. Of course you can just go long but then very often you lose the ball anyway.
Not criticising Wilder btw, though i thought sharp should've stayed on, just want to point out that in the end you only need one guy to put the ball in the back of the net, not 4.
Spot on, both Billy (although he didn’t do much) and Duffy (who I thought was atleast trying something) should’ve both stayed on. Clarke was pulling caravans a long way out.

I think Wilder's explained his thinking and I agree with him.

The game needed opening up to try and force a result. Brooks on for Sharp has worked a couple of times before and Holmes for Leonard and a change from 352 to 4231 was hardly gung ho but it was positive.

Brookes and Holmes didn't play well. If they had we'd have probably gone on and won it

Wow what a moron.

Final ball poor consistently, delay getting in fast early crosses, cut back and pass back to often. If Duffy is not on top form we lack movement, faster passing and creativity. How many times did we try and to shoot and it was blocked as we delayed too much. Still been a great season and look forward to going to matches after 7 years of crap

See post number 2. He destroys your argument.

In the same way the next game is a must win....and the game after......and?!

As has been mentioned on another thread, just throwing attacking players at it doesn't guarantee anything, it's a lot more complicated than that. When you're struggling to gain possession, create in the first place, how is removing players at the bottom/middle of your formation and sticking more up top going to help?

It just resulted in twatting it as far up the pitch when we did get the ball and hoping for the best, additionally we were always short at the back when they countered.

Result, they looked far more likely to win than we did.

Anyway, the game is over, the weather is getting better and we have a wee break now. Unbeaten in 3, not conceded for 3, so still very much all to play for.

Won't sign foreign players but uses a Chinese coaching manual?

This club.

Back
Top Bottom