Any idea who is the oldest and longest supporter of the blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

United blade made me wonder with one of his posts stating we beat Wendy's 5-1 in 1934 .Who that person is .and if you are a younger supporter what was your most memorable game

I think it was Bert

I know he is one of the senior supporters as there was quite a discussion a while back about him losing his faculties

Would be good to gather together in 1 thread a few of these profiles, especially of Blades not on here who can stake a claim (no need to give names, of course). I know there are quite a few on here who can beat me, but I'll start this one going.
1st match, v Blackpool, Sept 1953, lost (of course) 3-4.
Most memorable games, both away. 3-1 win at Newcastle, 6th round of Cup, 1961. And the great Bassett day out at Leicester, 5-2, promotion to the top tier. I love the Lane, but big away-days are special.

Thanks for that makes you wonder how much he' spent supporting the blades over the years if you count in travel expenses ect including travel to away matches and the cheapest and dearest admission fees going back to the first game he ever saw or anyone else for that matter

Would be good to gather together in 1 thread a few of these profiles, especially of Blades not on here who can stake a claim (no need to give names, of course). I know there are quite a few on here who can beat me, but I'll start this one going.
1st match, v Blackpool, Sept 1953, lost (of course) 3-4.
Most memorable games, both away. 3-1 win at Newcastle, 6th round of Cup, 1961. And the great Bassett day out at Leicester, 5-2, promotion to the top tier. I love the Lane, but big away-days are special.
I was 1 year old then so I'm well beaten

United blade made me wonder with one of his posts stating we beat Wendy's 5-1 in 1934 .Who that person is .and if you are a younger supporter what was your most memorable game

Even if you were only 12 in 1934, you'd be 95 now. A long time to follow the Blades without us winning anything. Losing in the 1936 cup final a couple of years later would probably be the greatest highlight.

Can we count the Sheffield county cup .must have won that a few times .forget when that actually started and ended
So we have had minimal success .I can see bright happenings over the horizon in the next few years .

There’s a bloke that looks about 95 years old sometimes sits on the front row of the Kop, almost behind the goal.

He can hardly walk and usually turns up alone 10 minutes after the match has started and then leaves 10 minutes before the end.
The stewards always have a look of concern when he turns up. He looks like he’ll keel over any minute.

Haven’t noticed him since Christmas though.
Hope he’s alright, maybe he can’t come out when it’s cold weather.

My dear old Grandad left this Earth just before Christmas at the grand age of 98. Couldn't get to the games for the last few years but was always 100% up on Blades news. Pretty sure he'd have been a contender.
Any idea of his first match at the Lane?

Mark labbett at 6ft'7 must take some beating for the longest.

Not sure about the oldest though. Brian 'the blade' maybe?
Good one whose the shortlst they never usually get a mention.and whose the youngest

My dear old Grandad left this Earth just before Christmas at the grand age of 98. Couldn't get to the games for the last few years but was always 100% up on Blades news. Pretty sure he'd have been a contender.
I'll ask mi Dad!

My dad (now deceased) started regular attendance in 1943 and more or less stopped in 2009ish. He wasn't the oldest or longest serving of those he chatted to by some way.
When he started work off Boston Street (in 1943) plenty of the old boys had been to the Lane since 1889 or so!!!

Before you think my maths is off.... The old fellows were self employed instrument makers, at a time when we needed quite a lot of surgical instruments so were quite happy to be working well into their 70s even 80s to get lots of £££.

I just thought I would add that my granddads first visit to the Lane was not to see Dem Blades.....
He was fairly new to Sheffield and the man at "the big house" asked if he wanted the day off to go and see "The Match"; not been stupid he said "of course" and just followed the crowds to the Lane, from Ecclesfield.

The Match turned out to be the 1912 FA Cup final replay between Barnsley and West Brom - The Dingles winning 1-0.
That was April 24th 1912.
1G Blade had found the promised land :)

Back
Top Bottom