How far can Wilder go?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladezz

Reaction score
Been talking over past couple of days about how good is Chris Wilder.

• Never been sacked
  • Worked his way from non league
  • Had success at Bury with AK
  • Promoted with Oxford
  • Saved Northampton when 10 points of safety
  • Promoted with Northampton with 99 points, with no budget, nearing on liquidiation and players not being paid.
  • Promoted with SUFC with a reduced budget and inherited a poor team ( as he changed large majority) with 100 points
  • Now third in the championship, after hammering our local rivals 4-2 in their own backyard.

He gets the best out of limited players
It brings a player in and it doesn't work he doesn't hold onto them he moves on and tries to replace.
Works on a budget
Tactically spot on! Who else would have taken a centre half off and brought Duffy on, on Sunday!!!??
Gets players up for big games.

Can CW go all the way and manage England? So far I don't see any faults? Whether he needs a move from ourselves to the Premiership or take us there I believe he is only maximum 2 moves away from managing England!

Maybe in ten years time when he's won everything there is to win at BDTBL...and Billy Sharp, who's served his apprenticeship in the lower leagues, can take over seamlessly and continue our never ending world domination.

If Carlsberg did football management.

I think Billy will end up being the Chief Exec, someone like Coutts with Fleck as his assistant will take over as manager when Wilder moves upstairs.

I think Billy will end up being the Chief Exec, someone like Coutts with Fleck as his assistant will take over as manager when Wilder moves upstairs.
Jake wright would be my bet as most likely of the current players. Chris Basham to stick around as well in some form. Derek Geary is doing a great job as u18s manager.

With us? He can go as far as he wants.
After Leicester last season i can't see why he couldn't atleast aim as high as that.

As far as management goes, Wilder has one flaw.
He relies on players attitudes and drive, he trusts them and expects each one to give their all. Would that work with players on 40k a week?
Player power is on the rise in general but in the premiership most players can even run a club now. Unfortunately if they don't want to perform for a manager they simply won't.
If Chelsea players can turn on Mouhriniho and look as bad as they did when the players wanted him out then it can happen to anyone - and I'm not sure a bollocking, an arm around the shoulder or a good ol'yorkshire speech could do anything about it.

Basically, stay here Chris. Win it all with us!

After Leicester last season i can't see why he couldn't atleast aim as high as that.

He relies on players attitudes and drive, he trusts them and expects each one to give their all. Would that work with players on 40k a week?
Player power is on the rise in general but in the premiership most players can even run a club now. Unfortunately if they don't want to perform for a manager they simply won't.
If Chelsea players can turn on Mouhriniho and look as bad as they did when the players wanted him out then it can happen to anyone - and I'm not sure a bollocking, an arm around the shoulder or a good ol'yorkshire speech could do anything about it.

Good point, but it would be no different if we got to the premiership our new signings would be demanding similar figures.

Some of those premiership players are multiple millionaires and they will still run through a brick wall and I believe CW would find them. Especially to get that drive back into the England team.

All true, but for me, it's overlooking one factor - If Wilder recruits them, they'll be his 'type' from the get go. Yes they'll be earning more but that's all relative isn't it. It's only really a factor when you're shopping in windows outside of your nominal spending pattern. If UTD are in the Prem, then they'll be able to afford the wages and there a WEALTH of players that'd come to the lane for 40K a week AND be happy to work. Just like there's are players here now, earning 8-12K(?) a week who are willing to run through walls for the cause.

Also, regarding a hypothetical England job, there's a tendency to think Wilder would be managing the latest crop of England players that have, rightly or wrongly, been seen as over paid prima donnas. The same would be true as with club football if Wilder was involved. Those picked for the squad would be his 'type'. Yes there are undeniable talents that would be near the top of a possibles list, but as we know, CW looks for more than just footballing prowess and as a result, I think he'd get a team that would be greater than the sum of it parts, just like he has done throughout his career.

Last edited:
We are fourth in the league, behind Leeds, Wolves and Cardiff, is there a reason why some are saying we're third?
With Wilder he has brought in the passion us fans want in the game, too many managers are mercs, just there for the pay check and will leave if a better offer is given to them.
Some mangers are born with a silver spoon in their gob like Pep and start at the highest level with the best players but these managers will struggle to spot raw talent and get real fight out of players.
Wilder knows how to build a team and get them firing, he's shown this multiple times now.

Exactly, we have to get out of this mentality that he will have to go elsewhere to achieve success.
Leicester won the League two seasons ago, they have also won three League Cups in fairly recent memory, Champions League Quarter Finalists last year and played in Europe before that.

Birmingham, Middlesboro, Luton, Oxford, Swindon, Wimbledon, Portsmouth, Southampton, SWFC, Ipswich, West Ham, Derby, Forest, Wolves, Coventry, Leeds, Wigan, Blackburn, Stoke, Sunderland, have all won at least one trophy in my lifetime, some of them more than one. But it has always remained an impossible achievement for United because of the club's mentality which has eventually filtered through to the supporters over a long period of time.

Anything is possible if the mindset is right and the ambitions are set higher.
Wilder will do the first bit but he will need help with the second bit

Just where does this 'player's of limited ability' come from ? It's a team , a machine, and if you put a cog no matter how expensive in the wrong place that machine ain't going to work properly if at all. Stands to reason. dunnit.
Chris Wilder and his back room squad know exactly what kind of p!ayer it takes to get his machine running smoothy and just because some other manager's can't see it,or have been playing the guy in the wrong system does not make him a' player of limited ability' anymore than a flower out of place in a garden is a weed....

Back
Top Bottom