Big Game Mentality

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
I read the article on the Star website which is based on quotations from Wednesday's Stephen Fletcher. Obviously its down to context but these are the quotes on the article:

“There is a lot of experience in this team,” Fletcher told The Star. “It is a big occasion for the city and the two clubs.

“That experience can help because the lads know how to handle the atmosphere and the occasion. There are a few young lads in the team as well but the older heads will keep us all grounded.”

“I have played in a few derbies over the years. Wolves had a few derbies, while there was Edinburgh, Sunderland and Burnley against Blackburn.

“Most derbies are similar. I won’t say as bad as each other but fierce. The one that surprised me was Burnley, that was quite tense stuff with the fans.

“Keeping your head is key in derbies, don’t let the emotions get the better of you. Do what you have been doing all season and stay level-headed.”

I don't disagree that he himself and other Wednesday players have big match experience, i also think that Fletcher was hard done to in the Play Off second leg against Huddersfield when he got subbed (He told my barber that he doesn't know why he was taken off)

Last season under Wilder, we came through the big games against our rivals or when we needed to react to a defeat the previous week, that character came through, we've followed that on this season and reacted well, stood up to challenges thrown at us in many ways.

However, as a team, under Carlos, Wednesday have struggled with the big game mentality (as a team), two play off failures being the pinnacle. Add to this that Wednesday fans are inserting pre-match caveats of "if Wednesday turn up". I fail to see that they have this mentality when it really matters.

We will see tomorrow, but as Wilder says, we will not have any concerns over attitude or being up for the game. Can Wednesday say the same?

I also listened to Carlos' pre match interview and whilst he spoke very well, complimentary of the opposition, revealing which players were available, he also did a Robbo and called the preparation "no different to other games".

I know it won't come down to pre match sound bites, but if one side is extremely up for it, well drilled, well prepared, well organised, can it be overcome an expensive and experienced team at their ground.

Basically, how important is the mental side - Understanding the importance, players knowing their job, concentration, control of discipline etc?

I've just been thinking about the exact same thing. As Unitedites, we've become used to our team failing in seemingly every big game we come across, too many to even count. This is one wednesday taunt we really have to take on the chin, because it's true.

But just think about Wilders reign. OK, on the one hand we've not had, so far, what you might call a monumental game to win - a play off final, a cup semi etc. This is partially because of the length of time he's been in charge, just lack of opportunity.

However, this is also because he has set us up to be so determined as to never even encounter a 'big game' in the first place, at least in the league, because by the time they could possibly come around we were already streets ahead of the opposition. One could argue that our 'big games' this season could have been/will be relegation six-pointers against other struggling sides.
And even though the season is yet young, I am doubtful this will ever come to pass, because we will be too successful to be in this situation in the first place. Make no mistake that this is an achievement in itself, and is only masked by the fact that we have Tufty in charge, and not some other semi-competent, also-ran championship/L1 manager.

So, even in this context, consider the 'big games' we have had. The ones which we can say have come closest to this tag. That would be Scunthorpe home and away, Bolton at home, Bradford home and away, Northampton, Port Vale/MK Dons way, and perhaps also Oxford at home last season. Not to mention almost every game this season. Sure, none of these sides were world-beaters, but in the context at the time, these were big important games, and we came through all of them with flying colours. We didn't win them all, true, but we also didn't lose any either, and we put in solid to exceptional performances in all.

It's very easy to let our past experiences colour our expectations, but if you think about how we've gone about every game of magnitude in this regime so far, we really don't have anything to worry about. I'm not saying we're going to win, but just that after far too many big games in our past where we simply just didn't show up, I honestly don't think we have any reason to worry about that on Sunday,

On paper they have players in Hooper, Fletcher, Bannan etc who have played in big derby games. That doesn't mean that they will be more up for it, hopefully it will lead to complacency.

Get exactly where the OP is coming from. We might not have the most star-studded side, but we have a togetherness that can't be beaten and that's the mental edge we'll have

Just a case of whether that's enough to do 'em over with the quality they have.

Get exactly where the OP is coming from. We might not have the most star-studded side, but we have a togetherness that can't be beaten and that's the mental edge we'll have

Just a case of whether that's enough to do 'em over with the quality they have.

Its a matter of taking the talent out of it and looking at how important the Mental side is

for games like this.. on paper means nothing. it is all about who wants it more.. Carlos says it is just another game.. personally i think this is the wrong approach but we will see. i don't think CW sees it as 'just another game'

i put this yesterday on a thread & mentioned it at work when it obviously came up in conversation & i told him yesterday "nearly said see you monday, but youll be avoiding me, so see you Tuesday".:D that derbies are like big cup semis & finals. where you need mental strength & if you take the big 2 moments from last season. we know our team is brilliant under pressure & wilder will have running through a brick wall come kick off . Oxford at home is perfect for that. i can only remember a few build up to a league game that was considered must win like that in last decade. the pressure was huge, i was scared of league 2 football. even rumours of wilder possibly being sacked. then if wasnt enough pressure on players & manager it tripled when Oxford went 1-0 up & we can take confidence in that they didnt retreat they grew found a way & won. were transformed into the champions

then you contrast that with wednesday in play off semis last year as they were arguably 2 worst performances they hadlast season. because in 210 mins they scored once that was a own v bunch of loans & frees. but expensively assembled squad shouldve beaten pre season relegation candidates & jordan rhodes is well known 10 million pound & he cracked under pressure & refused to take a penalty

Back
Top Bottom